Critique my plan please!!!

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Have been doing this 5X5 workout plan now for over 8 months. The basic lifts, Squat, Bench, OH Press, BB Rows, and Deadlift with a few isolation exercises thrown in. I have been doing this almost religiously every other day. I plateaued up until the point of starting TRT. I am now seeing gains, and it makes me want to try a different approach but I am stuck wondering if I should keep doing what I have been? I almost want to try something more along the lines of a 5 day split, mainly because I feel I could get better results. I appreciate any and all feedback!!! Thanks guys!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Providing a different stimulus to your body after 8 months of the same should yield better results than sticking with what you’ve been doing. My .02

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Could try dropping it to a 3x5, then adding an accessory lift for each at 3x10. Switch accessory lifts every block, if required/wanted.

Slight bump in volume, while also mixing it up a bit.

Just a suggestion.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Providing a different stimulus to your body after 8 months of the same should yield better results than sticking with what you’ve been doing. My .02

Jin I do like your thoughts on this, thats kind of what I was thinking and the reason for wanting to switch it up. I think I have settled into getting good at this particular workout which may be why I plateaued.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Could try dropping it to a 3x5, then adding an accessory lift for each at 3x10. Switch accessory lifts every block, if required/wanted.

Slight bump in volume, while also mixing it up a bit.

Just a suggestion.

This also makes a ton of sense, I could potentially lift a little heavier doing a 3X5 and switch up accessory lifts. I think I will do my 5X5 for one more week and formulate a plan to switch it up. I just think I may be able to get a little more out of a workout and stress the muscles in a different way to promote more growth. That being said I have gained 6 pounds since my last post where I introduced myself to the board. I am definitely eating more I am sure some of this is water weight but I feel like I am going in the right direction.

Poyne Dexter

Reaction score
"U got to shock de muscle" - Arnie

Definitely change it up. You'll literally feel your muscles reacting differently to the mixup. Good luck brother!

Reaction score
Can't imagine doing a mind-numbing 5x5, or any routine, religiously for months. I listen to my body and lift what I'm feeling at the moment. Can't be in-tune with your body if structure overrides the gut. But that's just me

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Have been doing this 5X5 workout plan now for over 8 months. The basic lifts, Squat, Bench, OH Press, BB Rows, and Deadlift with a few isolation exercises thrown in. I have been doing this almost religiously every other day. I plateaued up until the point of starting TRT. I am now seeing gains, and it makes me want to try a different approach but I am stuck wondering if I should keep doing what I have been? I almost want to try something more along the lines of a 5 day split, mainly because I feel I could get better results. I appreciate any and all feedback!!! Thanks guys!

Look into Vince Girondas 8x8 program. It would be a good follow up to a heavy program. Lighter weights, higher reps and sets, short breaks.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
"U got to shock de muscle" - Arnie

Definitely change it up. You'll literally feel your muscles reacting differently to the mixup. Good luck brother!

Thanks PD, definitely need to mix it up I think!

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Look into Vince Girondas 8x8 program. It would be a good follow up to a heavy program. Lighter weights, higher reps and sets, short breaks.

I am going to check this out, I love lifting heavy but lighter weights and higher reps may just be what I need! Thanks Long

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
You gotta mix it up. Nice to have some structure to your workouts but one needs to to throw some curveballs into your training to keep the body guessing. I always have a few exercises great for growth a strength that I throw in every couple weeks to keep me moving forward

New Threads