Testing your body's pH

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Long story short; the wife drug me to a 1 hr seminar that lasted 90 min. on "Eating to lose weight". Guess she feels I'm a fat fuuk. lol

There was a lot of bad information at this seminar but I did have something to take away from this and it was body pH. Anyone check their pH and is this that important to overall health? I think I'm going to get some strips and start checking it. Strips are cheap so no big deal.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
It's bullshit. Your body keeps the blood ph in a very tight range. If it's out of range, you're dead.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I don't think it's compete bullshit. You are correct that the body regulates pH very tightly... But to say that if it gets out of range you would be dead is a little misleading. Although that could end up being true, it's not always the case. From what I remember from formal studies, if you become too acidic, you can become very sick and a lot of people with chronic diseases are running slightly too acidic (although potentially still in the "normal" range). Healthier people flirt with the alkaline side of "normal."

As far as being able to manipulate your body to become more alkaline, that's where it gets murky. If you become more healthy and fit and focus on eating healthy micro nutrients, become more focused on cardiac health, then your body regulates it's pH better (and thus reduces acidity).

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Fine.

1st thing I thought of was that eating acidic/alkaline food diet stuff that was going around. I got triggered! :32 (18):

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Metabolic Acidosis and Alkalosis are most definitely things that exist. However, both of those conditions can be life-threatening events with crippling symptoms. If you don't have extreme nausea, confusion, trouble breathing, jaundice, etc concurrently then your PH is probably just fine.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Metabolic Acidosis and Alkalosis are most definitely things that exist. However, both of those conditions can be life-threatening events with crippling symptoms. If you don't have extreme nausea, confusion, trouble breathing, jaundice, etc concurrently then your PH is probably just fine.

When I had cancer I had friends who insisted I keep my body alkaline to rid it of the cancer.

They would give me alkaline water and told me not to eat meat.

I told them I’d drink their water but that I’d take my chances with death and continue to eat meat.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Eat what you want and drink what you want. Don't waste your time or money checking your pH. Your kidneys and lungs are going to regulate this so your pH stays in the range of 7.35-7.45. Part of what I do when I control your ventilation when you're under anesthesia. These organs will work very hard to keep that un range, and anything outside of range is going to be from a serious issue that isn't being compensated for, ie, you're really fkn sick at that point

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
When I had cancer I had friends who insisted I keep my body alkaline to rid it of the cancer.

I recall reading some place that cancer can survive in an alkaline state. Don't know how true that is and I'm not giving up living for a fear of dying.

New Threads