2019 Mr. Olympia Rant...

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Apparently being the most conditioned, best developed, and most complete doesn't matter at the highest level of bodybuilding anymore.

For years it was "the most striated glutes" competition and I guess now it's the "smallest waist" competition.

Times to get out the waist trainer I guess...

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd have to look at the top lineup. Looking at the winner this year posted all over social media, obviously not the most impressive Olympia winner. But we knew from last year what they're looking for to winning

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
fukkk hadi looked insane!!!
politics man. they had him decided to win before he got on the stage.
the judges are all over the place.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
fukkk hadi looked insane!!!
politics man. they had him decided to win before he got on the stage.
the judges are all over the place.

I have said this more than once. The Olympia is a joke. Its a political event and much like the politicians in our government here in the US, special interest run it. Whoever has the most money, dictates the results.

Personally, I don't even follow that shitshow

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Well I can understand your frustration. Saw some other pics and vids too. This is Hadi's 1st competition in the U.S. I heard correctly? How did he qualify ? Curry had some momentum coming in with his previous wins leading up to Olympia. No doubt I see why Hadi was a crowd favorite

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
I dont even think binac should of been top 5, and kuclo looked better than bonac, brandon and jackson

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I can understand your frustration. Saw some other pics and vids too. This is Hadi's 1st competition in the U.S. I heard correctly? How did he qualify ? Curry had some momentum coming in with his previous wins leading up to Olympia. No doubt I see why Hadi was a crowd favorite

Hadi has won a lot overseas, this was his first in the US but he won the Vancouver Pro to qualify. I believe the Vancouver pro was his first major open win since he has traditionally done the 212.

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I dont even think binac should of been top 5, and kuclo looked better than bonac, brandon and jackson

I know bbing is subjective, but Kuclo placing where he did was a blessing. He was soft as butter. No way he was even close to who you mentioned in terms of conditioning.

Spongy, ill agree that Hadi looked phenomenal, but using a filtered photo isnt exactly an honest representation. I thought Hadi should have been second, but i wouldnt argue with him winning it either. Brandon is simply put together better and although he wasnt his best, the only thing IMO Hadi truely had him was on lower body definition and size. Also ive noticed photos and vid always show very different looks. Roelly looked decent in pics, but looked way off on the stream. Obviously looking at a physique in real life is going to look different as well.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Hadi looked pretty good. I’m not sure what the judges saw.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I stopped following the Olympia due to the lack of transparency in judging. It's a popularity contest, full stop. There is no clear-cut definition of what makes a 10/10 back vs a 9.5, it's all subjective.

They want a poster-boy who will attract the most viewers to the "sport", not the best on stage.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Hadi.. should have won... based on condition.. but of course they aint giving it up like that.. i think bonac looked really good but roelly... damn son... u looking like water boy... i thought he was the one to take it. One person i feel has so much damn potential is akim william... i mean come on son... get fkin condition... he needs to really work with aceto or patrick .. , another person is jon delarosa... he has awesome body.. no homo.. he just needs to come rip to the bone to place 5th or 6th

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Hadi.. should have won... based on condition.. but of course they aint giving it up like that.. i think bonac looked really good but roelly... damn son... u looking like water boy... i thought he was the one to take it. One person i feel has so much damn potential is akim william... i mean come on son... get fkin condition... he needs to really work with aceto or patrick .. , another person is jon delarosa... he has awesome body.. no homo.. he just needs to come rip to the bone to place 5th or 6th

akim does have great potential but i don't ever see him being mr o.
watchout for patrick moore, he puts on some more size he's gonna be really dangerous -
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2ZmRkvntMK/?igshid=4q4t4vrx8b61

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I think it's the same reason big Ramy didn't do as well as he should have in previous years. The IFBB is a money hungry business and having a non American, non English speaking Mr Olympia would be bad for business

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Personally I think proportion is all out of whack. 93 Ferrigno looked better than anyone on the stage this year in my opinion. It's the upper legs. They are too big and on most guys that dwarfs the calves. If you look like you have small calves that throws off the ratio.

Steve Reeves was balanced. Larry Scott was unbalanced but in a classically pleasant way. Frank Zane was balanced. Arnold was unbalanced in that same way Scott was.

Tom Platz was unique at the time. But his awesome upper legs made his upper body look too small.

I remember watching Dorian and Ferrigno and thinking Lou was off on his proportions and that's why he never won. I'd put him in his 90s form against anyone today.

When I first got interested in bodybuilding I remember i was told your calves, upper arms and neck should all be roughly the same mesurements to look balanced.

The skinniest waist thing is probably an over correction for the bigger middles in the 90s. Personally I would like to see the classic physique come back where the upper body and calves are not dwarfed by the upper legs. I honestly lost interest after Dorian. Dude was a beast.

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
This Persian guy I know is personal friends with Hadi, he called him after the Olympia to say congratulations and Hadi said that this year wasn't even his best and he will fvck shiit up next year

andy

Elite
Reaction score
just listen to what i Dorian talking, Hadi deffo should get higher in placings. Brandon ? dunno man. Im afraid it's all politics at this point

New Threads