weight loss and metabolism question

ACP

Reaction score
So asking here because I can find so many different answers online and even from a Dr.

I recently lost a decent amount of body fat and gained lean muscle I was around 246 and now am at 224 with a lot more muscle and less fat. Im targeting about 2600 calories per day, 182g protein, 68g fat, 315carb. Its what I aim for and am staying pretty close but some days I struggle to even eat 2600 after all that protein. I have hit a stall in losing body fat over the last 3 weeks.

Is it likely my metabolism is slowing because of the fat loss? Im training pretty hard. Powerlifting 3x per week (5x5) plus HIIT cardio after my lifts, also targeting other muscle groups after cardio (triceps, bicep, chest). I do all these lifts with a sense of urgency and keep my heart rate up, when Im done I look like I jumped in a pool with my clothes on.

Also sitting in the sauna for 20min 2-3x a week for recovery and drinking tons of water, sweating it out post work out.

any input is appreciated, should I stay the course or reduce calories?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
How long have you been in a calorie deficit for?

If it's been a long time, you could consider taking a maintenance period for a month before continuing on you weight loss goal. Instead of going straight down, you go for more of a staircase pattern. Lose weight for 2/3 months, maintain for a month, lose weight, maintain, etc...

During the maintenance, I'd even go up in Cals about 250, let your body know that food is plentiful. You might gain back a couple of pounds in this time, but it's water and muscle glycogen, and maybe even some muscle.

Option #2 would be to drop calories even further and continue on. If you try this, I'd drop 250 Cals for a couple of weeks, see what happens. Don't go any lower on your protein though. I'd drop the Cals from carbs on non-training days, and from fats on training days.

ACP

Reaction score
How long have you been in a calorie deficit for?

If it's been a long time, you could consider taking a maintenance period for a month before continuing on you weight loss goal. Instead of going straight down, you go for more of a staircase pattern. Lose weight for 2/3 months, maintain for a month, lose weight, maintain, etc...

During the maintenance, I'd even go up in Cals about 250, let your body know that food is plentiful. You might gain back a couple of pounds in this time, but it's water and muscle glycogen, and maybe even some muscle.

Option #2 would be to drop calories even further and continue on. If you try this, I'd drop 250 Cals for a couple of weeks, see what happens. Don't go any lower on your protein though. I'd drop the Cals from carbs on non-training days, and from fats on training days.

very helpful thank you. Ill try for a little bit just dropping some carb calories on the rest days. I try and eat a good amount on a weekend rest day usually just to remind my body.

I was mostly worried I was going into a state where my body is trying to conserve fat because of the lower calories... is this not likely if I am training hard?

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
agree with CJ on this... I did a maintenance when I stalled and bumped calories a bit the went back. Once you go back to deficit I would cut carbs a bit personally. Good work so far!

Reactions: ACP

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
very helpful thank you. Ill try for a little bit just dropping some carb calories on the rest days. I try and eat a good amount on a weekend rest day usually just to remind my body.

I was mostly worried I was going into a state where my body is trying to conserve fat because of the lower calories... is this not likely if I am training hard?

I wouldn't think so at this point. You're still eating a decent amount of calories, and if I'm reading your original post right, you're training 3x per week hard, which isn't overdoing it.

People usually run into that problem when they get really, really lean or they cut their calories dow to starvation level for an extended period. Or they train too much, and outpace their recovery capacity on reduced calories.

I'm on board with you cutting calories on rest days a little, and I'd also suggest eating the majority of your carbs on lifting days in the meals right after your workout. Get those muscles full of fuel.

If nothing happens, then definitely go into maintenance mode for a month. Up your Cals to about 3000, reset, then continue on after. If you do this, don't be worried about an initial quick weight gain, it's expected, it's water, glycogen, and hopefully a bit of muscle. It's not fat.

Keep us updated!

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
My bet is that calories are too low currently.

But go ahead and follow CJ’s advice and we will see what works.

ACP

Reaction score
I feel like with my size and training I should be able to easily burn more than 2600.. but damn I feel so full after getting to 180g of protein its almost hard to eat more

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I feel like with my size and training I should be able to easily burn more than 2600.. but damn I feel so full after getting to 180g of protein its almost hard to eat more

Cry me a river! :32 (20):

Hurt

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
First off, biology isn't linear, so progress is going to stall inevitably. Sometimes the answer is to be patient and just keep hammering.

But I do think your numbers are a bit off. It sounds like your protein is actually low and your calories are slightly high for your goals. The general consensus in the world of exercise and nutrition science is that 10 cal/lb of current body weight per day is an ideal range to be in a deficit and burn fat - this accounts for RMR, thermic effect of food, activity, etc. for the general population. Now, along with this, most ideally you should be consuming 1g/lb of lean mass/day in protein to stave off muscle catabolism when resistance training and support reduction of overall stored energy reserves (fat) - this is a very simple generalization but for your purposes it will work.

I don't know your current body composition so another approach to approximating protein intake is 1g/lb of goal weight taking a stepwise approach. All that is to say I'd personally shoot for 200g protein and 2250 total calories if I were you.

Now, there are other variables that would affect this like whether you're taking exogenous hormones, getting enough sleep/recovery, proper micronutrient intake, etc. but that's my $.02

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Before you do a maintenance period try picking one or two days a week to eat higher carbs.

You’re correct about your metabolism slowing down to match your caloric intake.

I noticed little things like my nails and hair slowed down their growth. Your body is amazing at down regulating things.

Havinf a day or two spike seems to trick most people’s body into thinking it’s not a long term deficit. Just make sure your weekly total is still in a deficit. Theoretically it’ll be slower wait loss but you’re seeing what happens when your body decides not to do the math.

If that’s not enough at this point then I’d do a slinger maintenance period like CJ mentioned but you might be surprised.

New Threads