How to achieve nice toning being TT muscle type and middle aged

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I am a TT muscle type so I need lots of reps and low weights.
Height 1.65m
Weight 54.5 kilos

I just wondered, if you have tips when it comes to simply achieving to stay slim and become more toned?

I am in my middle ages and have always done sport and want to stay nice and slim and become more toned, particularly upper arms and shoulders but no bulking, more direction Cameron Diaz. I walk a lot to keep fit as well.

My currently partly in place partly endeavoured regime is:

Sunday+Thursday
Aerobics (Jane Fonda – showing my age here ;) )
Weights:
Triceps, Squats, Back, Biceps (Les Mills Pump Extreme tracks)

Breakfast
Before workout
Coffee with a banana
After workout
Sugar free muesli with berries/grapes Inulin and BCAA

Monday+Friday
Aerobics (Jane Fonda)
Weights:
Shoulders (Les Mills Pump Extreme track),
Cycle Chest:
1 Lying Chest Fly (3 x 15 reps dumbbells)
2 Lying Chest pullover (3 x 15 reps medicine ball)
3 Lying Chest Throw Supine (3 x 15 reps Medicine Ball )
Belly exercises (Jane Fonda)

Breakfast
Before workout
Coffee with a banana
After workout
Sugar free muesli with berries/grapes Inulin and BCAA

Tuesday
Stretches/Physio core
Biceps, Triceps (Les Mills Pump Extreme tracks)

Breakfast
Before workout
Coffee
Then fasting (keto effect)
early afternoon
apple and peanut butter
2-4 small home-made protein enriched low sugar wholemeal cookies (containing ground linseed, oat, almonds, dried fruit, soya flour, honey)

Wednesday

Stretches/Physio core
Belly exercises Belly exercises (Jane Fonda)

Breakfast
Before workout
Coffee
Then fasting (keto effect)
early afternoon
apple and peanut butter
2-4 small home-made protein enriched low sugar wholemeal cookies (containing ground linseed, oat, almonds, dried fruit, soya flour, honey)

Saturday
Stretches / Physio Core
Maybe a hike 14 miles or so

Breakfast
Banana Blueberry pancake with stevia
Quark with inulin and fresh fruit

Aside from intermittent fasting days (Tuesday, sometimes Wednesday, sometimes Saturday) I have my cookies as a snack, apple and peanut butter around mid-day, late lunch salad, and dinner varies, usually some lean meat with vegetables/salad, snacking: crisp bread or carrot or rice cracker or broad beans, and a sweet treat, if the scale allows.

Thank you :)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
For us Americans...

5'5"
About 120 lbs
Slow twitch muscle fibers.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Whatever weights you're using, make sure they're heavy enough that you come close to failure(muscle should be starting to burn), in the 8-20 range. If it's easy, it's not doing anything.

Try to get in at least 100g of protein per day.

That's where I'd start you.

Last edited:

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
Whatever weights you're using, make sure they're heavy enough that you come close to failure(muscle should be starting to burn), in the 8-20 range. If it's easy, it's not doing anything.

Try to get in at least 100g of protein per day.

That's where I'd start you.

Thank you, CJ275, you hit the weak spot, I am battling to up the protein (still at around 20% protein and fat and 60% carbs from fruit and vegetables though, so at least some fibre, but not great!!), which is why I have now started to bake my own cookies so at least they are not too carb heavy and still something for my sweet tooth, and I snack on peanut butter. More chicken and fish and mushrooms for me :)

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I noticed no red meat was mentioned. If you choose not to eat red meat, you could be deficient in iron and B12. Red meat is high in both of those, among many other nutrients. The iron in veggies isn't the same, and isn't absorbed as easily.

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
I noticed no red meat was mentioned. If you choose not to eat red meat, you could be deficient in iron and B12. Red meat is high in both of those, among many other nutrients. The iron in veggies isn't the same, and isn't absorbed as easily.

Oh, I didn't think of the iron, I thought the muesli would give me the B12. I'll go for some lean steak as well then.
Thank you, and I shall learn to enjoy the burn a little more as well, no pain no gain! ;)

TODAY

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You might also look into adding nutritional yeast to your diet. It's a delicious cheese substitute that is chock-full of B vitamins.

Just don't take it if you have gout.

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
You might also look into adding nutritional yeast to your diet. It's a delicious cheese substitute that is chock-full of B vitamins.

No gout, I'm safe :) Great tip, thank you!! Looks like you can sprinkle it on anything. I used to eat live yeast cubes from Germany mixed with milk and sugar, really good for the skin.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
IMHO.....Whats going to do it is the constant gym time. Always burning cals and keep your metabolism high is key.

How is your thyroid...??

30/40g more protein i think will really help. 60% carbs is a lot if you are focused on toning and really keeping lean. Last, do you have 1 salad a day & 2 other servings of greens...??

You have a lot of cardio/gym activity.....i think your diet is where you will find that last bit you are looking for.

GL

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score
IMHO.....Whats going to do it is the constant gym time. Always burning cals and keep your metabolism high is key.

How is your thyroid...??

30/40g more protein i think will really help. 60% carbs is a lot if you are focused on toning and really keeping lean. Last, do you have 1 salad a day & 2 other servings of greens...??

You have a lot of cardio/gym activity.....i think your diet is where you will find that last bit you are looking for.

GL

Thank you so much, GL, funny you mention the thyroid, I was hyperthyroid and diagnosed with Graves 2 years ago (and found out they had overlooked it showing in my bloods 4 years ago!!), which explained muscle waste despite hard work on the weights and consuming plenty of added whey protein, and also quick exhaustion during workouts. Now I am on medication and it needs to be fine tuned in order to keep it from going the other way.
I have to lower carbs, I fully agree and am working on it.
Thank you so much for responding.

Slimandtrim

Lady Member
Reaction score

btw, I tried nutritional yeast and it's sooo delicious, thank you so much for the tip. I gorged myself it was so tasty. Great find!!

New Threads