With or without a gym partner?

Reaction score
I’ve been working out for a few years now. Mostly because I couldn’t find a reliable partner but now I lift alone because I hate waiting for someone. Is it more beneficial to lift with someone who isn’t as strong as myself or dedicated, or should I keep lifting on my own to avoid taking too long of breaks?

Reaction score
Yup, they almost always get too lazy or are never dedicated enough. I need one so I can do a max day some time soon.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One more fer training solo. Unless yer part of a team (PL, thai, etc) tis far more efficient to let yer schedule and yer intensity be yer own.

Reaction score
My workout would be ruined if I had to train with someone. Except my dad, I’ll always lift with pops if he wants to join me.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I train alone, but I would consider training with a partner who was dedicated, worked hard, and was willing to follow my lead. If they missed one work out, though, I’d be done with them.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If u can have a partner who wants its just as bad it can be a great benefit..I always lifted alone

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
I have a lifting partner, but like you said he isnt always reliable. Its more like, he knows when and what days ill be at the gym. If he wants me to scoop him up before hand i will

But I NEVER let whatever hes got going on dictate how my training is going to go.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Having a lifting partner is great for strength training. Having a spotter allows you to go to failure and attempt <3 rep maxes. It also gives you added motivation because you never want to lift less than them.
I was strongest when I had a lifting partner. But likes others have mentioned, and with all things in life, you can’t rely/count on anybody else. Eventually they might slow you down, but for certain periods (like strength training) they can be an asset.

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
If training with a partner it’s best if they’re are above your level or atleast the same. Level in regards to drive, discipline and it’s plus in regards to knowledge, strength/physique. Otherwise they’re liable to hold you back and mess up your training

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
If training with a partner it’s best if they’re are above your level or atleast the same. Level in regards to drive, discipline and it’s plus in regards to knowledge, strength/physique. Otherwise they’re liable to hold you back and mess up your training

Agreed.

On the other hand with them not being on the same level, I've learned a lot helping others train. Seeing their weaknesses and how to help them overcome them.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I had a lifting partner a long time ago. He was a good partner when we lifted. He was a complete loser and that slowly started to reveal itself over the years. The kind of guy that goes home and takes the days bullshit out on his wife and kids.

I like to lift alone. I like to go at my own pace. People annoy the shit out of me when I am trying to lift. I lift at home. I want zero interruption.

If I could find a partner like my old one was in the gym I would go back to a partner again. A little competition. Bouncing ideas off each other. Someone to call for one more after I have done one more already. I miss that.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
I've lifted on and off with a female power-lifter I met at a local commercial gym about three years ago. It's a completely platonic relationship, we have nothing in common and don't even really like each other, but she's good at spotting bench and providing occasional form advice, and vice versa. However, there's times where I much prefer lifting on my own and getting in the zone. Each has it's pros/cons depending on who you find. My two cents, is that if you find the ideal gym partner they will push you beyond your boundaries, the opposite will hold you back and hinder progress.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Always with a partner. Do t need a spot on deads and squats but need a liftoff on the bench/ incline

Gabriel

Reaction score
It works IF.................you work together ,live together, party together and both like chicks(important to me)..........Otherwise,For me it's more trouble than it's worth..!!

Reaction score
well I was given a workout from snake and its good but my only complaint is the wait time 2-3 minutes.
It's is embarrsing just sitting there you don't know what to do, so a partner would help
but if you'll have a minute or lest between sets then you fine so a partner would just take longer.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If your partner isn't reliable, then you're better off lifting alone

This right here... I cant stand someone who doesnt come on time...

mistah187

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
ive burned through so many partners its not funny. My most reliable partner has been my wife. She cant spot me on max bench but thats about it. I like having a partner simply for the timing. i go, she goes,no breaks. watching people spend 15 minutes on a machine kills me. Ive always told partners that they get one or two chances. i am not going to let their schedule or laziness effect my workouts. its hard enough to get out of my own damn way.

New Threads