A question for my PL brothers

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I've never gotten into power lifting....nothing against it, just has never been my thing and I haven't done less than 8 reps in a set for as long as I remember.

So here is what I'm curious about.

I see guys doing singles at the gym. 99% sure they'll never enter a meet. Is there a benefit to them doing singles other than to find out what their max is? I know it ain't doing sh&t from a bb perspective. Is it doing anything from a strength perspective?

Just genuinely curious.

Last edited:

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
IMO, no. They won't build strength just doing those week in and week out. Basically, either for testing or ego.

Unless however, they're doing a conjugate style that calls for a Max Effort day where you will work to your Max Effort, being a 1RM on alternate versions of the squat, bench, and deads.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
The benefit to PL of 1RM is to prime the nervous system/get it used to max output.

I see no benefit for strength or muscular development.

Maybe Toolsteel will log in.... or DYS

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
I'd say there are benefits to doing heavy doubles or triples, especially if you are doing multiple sets, but as mentioned earlier, it should be just one part of your programming. I personally like to work up to at least heavy trips at the top of my working set before moving back down in weight and back up in reps.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
8/5/3 based on percentages of one rep max has given me pretty rapid and noticeable muscle and strength growth in the deadlift. I don't see why putting a single rep at the end wouldn't be beneficial. Just doing a one rep max for sets over and over seems like a recipe for disaster.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'd say there are benefits to doing heavy doubles or triples, especially if you are doing multiple sets, but as mentioned earlier, it should be just one part of your programming. I personally like to work up to at least heavy trips at the top of my working set before moving back down in weight and back up in reps.

Definitely agree with this.

I know I'm totally out of my element with the 'powerlifter' theme of this thread, but every time I ran a block where I'd start out with a heavy single or double(not a max, but just a heavy for that day) my subsequent volume work would feel so much lighter and I'd bang out more reps than I would've otherwise.

I guess it's that post activation potentiation thing.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
My opinion:

Max singles only build egos. They invite injury at a greater rate then other reps. They also detract from a real productive working set.

As for the load that singles put on the central nervous system, that can can achieved with triples and I'm not even a fan of those for any length of time. I feel the entire CNS loading is a real thing but way over played. Let's face it, rep 405 in the squat for 6 this week and you'd have a fair shot at 465 for a single next week. (Not that anyone should try it)

My best routine began with developing my strength with reps of 8 and working down to 4-5 reps to develop my power. I only did triples about 2 weeks out and at no time did I think I shorted myself in the gym. There's no need to max single before a meet. Just calculate your triple as 90% of your max. This works, trust me; I use to go 8/9 or 9/9.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you’re not a power lifter and you test your 1rm more then once or twice a year - you’re not smart.

If youre a powerlifter you test your 1rm on the platform.

Strength is built waving through rep schemes and building up weak points with accessory work.

New Threads