First PL meet

Reaction score
I have my first powerlifting mock meet coming up this weekend. It will be awesome to get involved and see what the environment is. I have some questions regarding this last week of prep, what should I be doing how should I be training any tips or advice would be welcomed.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Everyone is different but here's what worked for me.

Assume Sat is the meet day. The sat before was warm ups and my opener as a single in Squats and then DL. Max singles are only for game day! Off Sun. Mon was warm up and my opener in the bench. Tue-Fri was nothing, I mean nothing. I wouldn't even go to the mall and walk around with the Wife/GF. Stretch out every day but don't over pull. Tue-Fri are is the longest 4 days of your life and will drive most PLers bat shit crazy.

As for a cut, I never had to do it.

Reaction score
Everyone is different but here's what worked for me.

Assume Sat is the meet day. The sat before was warm ups and my opener as a single in Squats and then DL. Max singles are only for game day! Off Sun. Mon was warm up and my opener in the bench. Tue-Fri was nothing, I mean nothing. I wouldn't even go to the mall and walk around with the Wife/GF. Stretch out every day but don't over pull. Tue-Fri are is the longest 4 days of your life and will drive most PLers bat shit crazy.

As for a cut, I never had to do it.
thanks for the advice I’m sure ill get some advice from some buddies there as well on meet day.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I know I’m a few days late here but the last week should have been programmed in your meet prep cycle.

Pillar always had us take off and get a deep tissue massage on Tuesday and like Snake said stay loose till meet day.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It's a mock meet. Play around with it and find what works. If you go the massage route do not go any later then tuesday. You can do groove work until Wed.

There's a fine line between super-compensating for the meet, and becoming detrained. Of worse - if you peaked early.

With no idea of what you've done for training leading up, it's hard to say. Do you have a coach? Beauty of a mock meet is you can experiment. Do a little research online. There's a few different theories on the last week - 10 days of meet prep. Try one that looks like a good fit and see what happens.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
are you sure your ugly enough for a sport like PL?

John Ziegler

Elite
Reaction score
I know I’m a few days late here but the last week should have been programmed in your meet prep cycle.

Pillar always had us take off and get a deep tissue massage on Tuesday and like Snake said stay loose till meet day.

Happy Ending ?

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Pillar has gone you just need to accept it and move on

Reaction score
The meet went well. I learned a lot mostly that I need to pay attention to commands. Didn’t get to deadlift because I had to go into work but it definitely gave me the itch. Reminded me of my old days of wrestling tournaments on saturdays with less people of course

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Pillar has gone you just need to accept it and move on

Nothing really useful to say about powerlifting, just a stab at me.
I did hurt your feelings.
I’m glad to be back, thanks for asking.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
It was a joke I will take note for future that your a bit touchy in the subject

Nothing really useful to say about powerlifting, just a stab at me.
I did hurt your feelings.
I’m glad to be back, thanks for asking.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Guys, don’t let Hulksmash bait you. Tren4life is his other screen name.

New Threads