Bodybuilding and bloodwork

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
After several recent blood tests came back with numbers which the doctors were very concerned about, I’ve recently consulted with a hematologist who works with strength athletes.

Bodybuilding/PL is traumatic to the body on a cellular level. Add a diet high in protein and you can get some pretty elevated markers for both liver and kidney dysfunction. This is independent of any PED use. What I’m outinling here were deemed acceptable numbers for a strength althlete with no current PED use.

Below are the results and reference ranges for my bloodwork specific to liver and kidney function value markers.
*Note that these RR are from a Japanese lab. Japanese/US values tend to differ slightly more than even RR between different labs.

Liver enzyme markers
AST 62 U/L (13-33)
ALT 106 U/L (8-42)
LD 220 U/L (119-221)

Hematologist comments:
completely normal for a strength althlete. If the LD were significantly elevated I may investigate further. Usually with serious liver issues the enzyme ranges are very high (500+ for example).

The only time my liver values ever come In within range are during deload weeks or fully out of the gym altogether.

Kidney values
BUN 29.3 mg/dL (8-22)
creatinine 1.03 mg/dL (0.6-1.1)

Comments: normal for strength althlete eating a high protein diet.

Bottom line: because you are a strength althlete your body is under more stress than a Muggles’. Many doctors are completely unaware of this.

metsfan4life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Jin. good stuff! interesting as i know a few had mentioned this when I had put up my liver questions. Dr confirmed but not sure why they were so elevated and for so long with no change

Dog-guy

Reaction score
Great info!
My 15 year old son is a competitive swimmer (15-20 miles per week) and power lifts 5xwk with the wrestling team. He had blood work done a few months ago that came back elevated bilirubin levels. Doc labeled him with Gilbert's Syndrome....PISSED me OFF!!! I brought the studies into the Dr office about extreme athletes and elevated liver values and threatened a malpractice suit if they didn't remove the diagnosis without further testing. Some docs are freaking lazy...

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Had my doc tell me the same Jin.

Just working out consistently and with the diet you have to eat to maintain this lifestyle does put your body under stress.

Reactions: Jin

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Might want to look at what Dave Crossland is doing for his F’d up liver or kidney (forget which one).

He’s used a few peptides to bring back a lot of function. Might work as a prophylactic if you’re going to keep the intensity up.

HeiseTX

Reaction score
What would be good to take to help the kidneys & creatinine etc in these cases?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
What would be good to take to help the kidneys & creatinine etc in these cases?

Increase water intake/keep water intake high. Not sure if there are any kidney specific supplement.

Reaction score
hi advise beginner exercises height 178 weight 98 I want to lose my stomach and pump myself up

New Threads