Super random

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
GFCI outlets/breakers protect people from shocks, they are not designed to prevent fires.

AFCI outlets/breakers are designed to prevent fires caused by arc faults.

A GFCI shouldn't blow in this scenario because the ground was still maintained. They only blow when the difference between load and neutral grows indicating current leaving the circuit via ground.

If he had an AFCI installed properly on that circuit, it would have tripped and prevented the fixture from popping. Assuming it was installed correctly. They work by detecting the sine wave frequency that errant electricity makes when it's arcing and trips the breaker.

ACFI's are not GFCI's and GFCI's are not AFCI's. They protect for different things using different methods.

NEC code (as of 2014) is starting to mandate AFCI's go in new construction breaker boxes to prevent fires instead of just preventing ground faults.

If you want, you can buy/install GFCI/AFCI breakers for your box but make sure you know how to do the work properly and safely else hire out the work.

On that topic; I want to add this. You can install AFCI outlets on any circuit that *may* get overloaded from time to time. Any outlet down stream from the AFCI outlet will become protected. Things like power strips and electric space heaters can draw a ton of current that can overload the circuit. Most of us are probably living in older homes with patch work DIY wiring of questionable quality. Circuit breaker in the basement may say 20A but the wiring may be sized for 15a. As the current draw increases, so does heat. The wire expands and now suddenly the wire nutted junction isn't making good contact and has started arcing.

What I'm getting at is you can install an AFCI OUTLET if you think that circuit at some point may become even slightly overloaded. An AFCI outlet is like $25 from Home Depot. It's a helluva lot cheaper than a house fire. I dunno about you guys but when it comes to the safety of me and my family, redundancy in safety is a good thing.

I'll usemy example; I have an electric fireplace insert for my TV stand that we use occasionally to break the chill. While the circuit itself is perfectly within it's load range when the fireplace is off, it exceeds the 80% margin of safety when it's on. I installed an ACFI outlet that handles the circuit in that room so that in the event that unforeseen high-draw things are plugged into the wall when that fireplace is running, the room is still protected. Would the breaker in the basement trip if there was a problem? Maybe, but that's making the assumption that the breaker in the basement matches the wire gauge in the wall. $25 helps me sleep easier.

Last edited:

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Taser has to be insulated otherwise everyone you pressed it you would get zapped. Still not the brightest thing to do though your friends an idiot. Think he full of shit too to be honest, an outlet wouldn’t be on the same circuit as a light fitting

thats a good point I didn’t think about

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Damn not only knowledge about fitness here, seems like we got a some smart ass electricians here also...good to know

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
You need to pick smarter friends.

He’s one of those guys I’ve known forever and I feel obligated to be his friend
kind of like a **** up kid, it hurts to see the dumb shit they do but you still love em

HH

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Ah, Darwinism at play.

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
First of all , as stated before we all sure have some dumb friends and second, what iron said, cuz I manage a construction company, but my man obviously completely is in the know in his trade, lol. Nice work to a number of smart cats!!

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Who in their right mind tazes an outlet? Thats some stupid shit right there...

Flyingdragon

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For extra fun on a slow Friday nite, I put my pink taser in the microwave for 2 minutes....

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Dumbest thing I’ve ever done was stick a paper clip in the outlet (7 years old) and I got shocked a bit.
Feel like I get a little bit of an excuse for being a young boy when I did it but still ****ing stupid cause I’m pretty sure that can kill you.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Is it me or do we all have a friend or two just like this, lol you know the kind that get drunk and think it might be a good idea to use gas and light things up, lol

SON OF A BITCH!

It's ME!! :32 (9):

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
This reminds me of the 90s when my uncle had a stun gun and tested it out on a cow. The cow falling over nearly crushed him. He also tried it on a cat, that didn't end so well for him.

As for my house, I have those stupid arc-fault circuit interrupters where even using something with an electric motor will trip the breaker. Turn on the vacuum, bam, no more juice. Using any power tool is akin to playing Russian Roulette with the breaker and whether it will trip or not. I'm sure my outlets would see the taser as an arc and trip those stupid circuit breakers.