Turkeys

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Anyone here ever hunt, kill and eat turkeys? Turkey season coming up I think.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Can't say that I hunt them but sooner or later I'm bout to hit one (or several) in the truck.

The things are everywhere up where I live often blocking my morning commute for a minute or so.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
Can't say that I hunt them but sooner or later I'm bout to hit one (or several) in the truck.

The things are everywhere up where I live often blocking my morning commute for a minute or so.

Haha, sounds like lots of free food where you live.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Come to my house, shoot the loud fukkers off my roof!

BigGameHunter

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Cool. They were like that at my Gmas place from time to time.

I went turkey hunting with a guy at work a long time ago. He whispers “they are right down there, we’re going to have to belly crawl down there and get a shot.”

I told him I know where we can kill these fuks with rocks. I’m not crawling on my stomach with a shotgun for a turkey.

He crawled right down there and got one though. Dude was a good hunter though.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I have gone and failed miserably in my younger years. The trick around my area is to "Put 'em to bed". I use to go out on State Game land with no idea of where they were.

This is funny but the first time out I got in early, got set up and at the crack of dawn, I was surrounded by 100 hens that I could hear but not see. Errrrk errrk errk. puk puk puk puk. Ow yeah baby, scoring on my first time out. At the end of shooting hours all 100 hunters left the woods. Fuukin dumb ass I was.

As for eating wild turkey, had it, not great. Plucking the feathers sucks even with a scald. I have raised a few of them and truthfully, the best turkey you can get comes wrapped in plastic.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
I have gone and failed miserably in my younger years. The trick around my area is to "Put 'em to bed". I use to go out on State Game land with no idea of where they were.

This is funny but the first time out I got in early, got set up and at the crack of dawn, I was surrounded by 100 hens that I could hear but not see. Errrrk errrk errk. puk puk puk puk. Ow yeah baby, scoring on my first time out. At the end of shooting hours all 100 hunters left the woods. Fuukin dumb ass I was.

As for eating wild turkey, had it, not great. Plucking the feathers sucks even with a scald. I have raised a few of them and truthfully, the best turkey you can get comes wrapped in plastic.

A few years back, I went over to my brother's house after thanksgiving because he said he had some wild turkey. I thought he was talking about real turkey and not the brand. Oh well. I gotta say that turkey is a very filling kind of meat. More so than chicken is.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Hunted em several times. Hunting and the outdoors are a big part of me. It makes me happy. Turkey hunting in the spring is a blast.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Probably in some states. In mine you can use shotgun, black powder, rifle, crossbow and bow. I have taken most mine with a shotgun.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You can swing by my house. We’ll throw some burgers on the grill and crack open a few. At the same time you can shoot 12 or more from my deck.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score

You don't pluck them, you just skin out the breast. Toss the rest of that shit, the legs have so much sinew and tendon. Easier cracking and eating crab.

The breast is tough enough. Need to crock pot that in a slow cooker with a can of soup for at least 24 hours.

Best way is to smoke the breast. Then it's not too bad.

Up here you can just about reach out your car window and grab em by the neck when they're crossing the road.

Last edited:

Yaya

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new bag of throwing hammers... cant wait to start smashing some turkeys

New Threads