A Little About My Background

Reaction score
Thank you all for the welcome wishes.
Let me give everyone an intro to tell you about me, my experience, and my training/bodybuilding background.

I'm in my late, VERY LATE 50's! Some might call me a has been! And they have! LOL! (Gotta have a sense of humor and perspective).

My brother and I are former amatuer bodybuilders who have had our share of success in the eighties & nineties.

We cut our teeth back in the day in a region of the Country that was considered one if the most difficult regions in which to not only compete, but achieve success. We competed against, and beat guys many of you would know. We went on to compete nationally, pursuing our pro cards and a professional bodybuilding career. Perhaps more on that outcome in the future... I was sponsored for a time at this point in my career. Yes, we knew and trained with top amateurs and pros back in the day.

From the sacrifices I made (and there were many), to the decisions I made, to the personal choices I made that supported those decisions to pursue a bodybuilding lifestyle, I wouldn't change a thing! In many ways they were the best and greatest decades of my life.

My training days are done...
Recent shoulder rotator cuff surgery to re-attach two complete detachments, as well as left proximal biceps tendon ruptures that where re-attached during the rotator cuff surgery has left me unable to train for the rest of my life. Unfortunately for me, my repairs only healed robustly enough to enable me to perform most daily living activities, and not much more.
Some of you know what i'm talking about...my injuries were just too severe from the word go.
I am thankful I can once again do everyday routine tasks such as brushing my teeth, threading my belt thru my pants belt loops,
and give my Wife a hug...

Anyway,

Over the years, I have learned a lot and would love to pass on what I know. The biggest thing I have learned is I don't know everything.

20191009_142034.jpg20191009_140444.jpg20191009_141556.jpg20181102_144311.jpg20191009_141028.jpg

Reaction score
Great to have you here man, would love to hear your knowledge and stories

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Welcome, good to have you here you look like you know your shit

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Also there is a guy here that goes by the name the gibsonator, he will try telling you someone thought he was a better looking version of The Rock. This is all lies ignore him

bro, give it a rest lol

Mr Used To Be, welcome, thanks for sharing those pics that's awesome!

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome! Nice pics. It’ll be interesting to here your stories in the months ahead.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom... Looking forward to learning from you!

Sorry to hear about your injuries... never give up though, even moving a little iron is still moving some iron!

I’m just 6 months into a comeback after a fifteen year hiatus... cuffs, knees, arthritis, tendinitis... in the end I realized it was just vaginitis, I basically started from scratch and muscle memory is taking over, trick is letting the tendons dictate my pace.

SKOL!

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard look forward to hearing about ur days and knowledge

GotClen

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome fellow older gentleman. I feel your pain
for sure. I had a late start in the sport. Something in
my training loaded my shoulders with arthritis.
i say I have John McCain shoulders. I can pull an push.
Cant hang at all arms won’t straighten. I’m with you.
i do still try to train 3 days a week and retain what I have built.
you say you can’t train. I get like you used to. What about
lower body, mid section. Once shoulder heals simple bi:tri movement.

We will never be what we once were. We have to be the best we can be
at 60ish.
keep the faith we still have something to offer.
All the best
GC

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Getting old sucks! Nice post. Glad you're here to help out and pass the torch.

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to share your wisdom... Looking forward to learning from you!

Sorry to hear about your injuries... never give up though, even moving a little iron is still moving some iron!

I’m just 6 months into a comeback after a fifteen year hiatus... cuffs, knees, arthritis, tendinitis... in the end I realized it was just vaginitis, I basically started from scratch and muscle memory is taking over, trick is letting the tendons dictate my pace.

SKOL!

Hi Beserker

Thanks for the thoughts.
The problem is I cannot even move a little iron. I''ve tried numerous times since the the healing process was completed. As good as my surgeon was, the repair is just not structurally robust enough. My surgeon was honest up front...he told me that I might never train again with any poundage. If you want me to fill you on on the particulars PM me. I'll be happy to share. Just don't want to bore everyone else!

You are smart to let your tendons dictate your pace. When asked one word of advise I always gave in the past was

"listen to your body. It will not lie to you".

I wish you much success with your comeback Beserker.

MUTB

Reaction score
Welcome fellow older gentleman. I feel your pain
for sure. I had a late start in the sport. Something in
my training loaded my shoulders with arthritis.
i say I have John McCain shoulders. I can pull an push.
Cant hang at all arms won’t straighten. I’m with you.
i do still try to train 3 days a week and retain what I have built.
you say you can’t train. I get like you used to. What about
lower body, mid section. Once shoulder heals simple bi:tri movement.

We will never be what we once were. We have to be the best we can be
at 60ish.
keep the faith we still have something to offer.
All the best
GC

Hey Old Man! Nice to meet a fellow who is also a member of the "Old Gentleman Alumni"!

Thanks for the welcome and thoughts on my injury GotClen.

Unfortunately even simple bi & tri movements are not possible. Believe me, after the healing process was complete I tried numerous times... I've tried big time.

Lower body is tough too.... I had my hip replaced when I was 39. That is what ended my competitive career. If you PM me I'd be happy to go into more detail. I don't want to bore the others with all that!

All the best as well.

MUTB

Reaction score
Getting old sucks! Nice post. Glad you're here to help out and pass the torch.

Yea Snake...getting old SUCKS.
But I'll go down fighting!

Amen on the torch passing....
I remember what it felt like to treated badly by the arrogant huge guys when I started training as a skinny youngster.... It was a horrible experience. I vowed back then that If I got big and had success I would always find time to help good guys in the gym anyway I could. Since I no longer train at the gym, this community may allow for that to continue.

Nice talking with you Snake.

MUTB

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Hey mutb , for what it’s worth, I don’t think you’d be boring anyone. We love hearing the stories. Good work on the passing of info. I can still remember all the big guys as a kid starting in the sport that we’re great guys and everyone that were D Bags. As I got bigger I was always happy to help the younger guys that had questions. If you don’t want to help the next generation, how will it continue. Fact is even veterans learn stuff all the time. Especially in an ever changing sport. That’s something that makes this place great!thanks for sharing!

New Threads