Schedule??

Reaction score
So I workout 6 days a week. I do chest back and legs twice a week. Someone is telling me to only workout 3 days a week is this true?

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
There's more to it than just "workout X days per week".

What's your training regimen actually look like?
Movements? Sets? Reps?
How long are you spending training?
What is your diet? Cut/bulk?
Are all of your workouts strictly resistance training or are some cardio only?
How much sleep do you get per night? Do you feel rested the next day?

Theres not enough info here to say whether or not your time in the gym is too much.

Don't forget, muscles grow while you're asleep. All you're doing in the gym is priming them for growth.

BrotherJ

Elite
Reaction score
To build on what Iron1 said - what are your goals? There's more to it than just working out x amount of days a week. I see people who "workout" 6-7 days a week but spend half that time dicking around on their phone.

Need more information

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Iron nailed it snowcone , it’s definitely possible to train 6 days a week ,as long as your being tactical on how you go about it ie. getting enough time between body parts to recover, eating the foods needed to recover and certainly getting your sleep. You break it down during training , it’s what you do outside the gym that are at least as important as what you do in it ( eat big/train big/sleep big)!! Take anyone of these out of the equation and you will significantly slow your gains. Good luck

Reaction score
So I workout 6 days a week. I do chest back and legs twice a week. Someone is telling me to only workout 3 days a week is this true?

This depends a lot on goals as already mentioned. As someone who has a more powerlifting centric routine as soon as I get into a strength bloc I personally usually only lift 4 days, squat and bench twice and deadlift once because deadlift taxes my lower back a lot and I squat low bar which only makes it worse.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Depends on your goals and experience. I train 4x a week as a powerlifter that older.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
All good advice above. I can tell you from personal experience that doing one body part a week is just fine; competing or not.

Reaction score

If your goal is to build muscle and strength (rather than endurance or weight loss) then you most likely want 4-7 days between primary muscle groups not 3-4 days.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Body parts 1x per week, although I have done legs 2x per week because they were lacking for me in the past.

A very good, VERY old friend of mine gave me this split and it works great:

Mon: Legs (Squat, calves, leg press, etc.)
Tues: Chest
Wed: Rest
Thurs: Back (Deadlift, etc.)
Fri: Shoulders, abs, accessory work

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I lift 4 days per week, one of which is just a muscle feeder days that's only meant to increase blood flow to each primary group. That's it. I've put on FAR more quality mass doing this than I ever have in the past. You have to allow your entire body enough time to rest.

If I blast chest, triceps, and hamstrings one day, I don't just blindly assume I can hit back, biceps, and calves the next day. Day 1 muscles will not fully recover if you dont rest your entire body.

Also, I don't do any movements that dont maximize size and mass gains. Traditional squats are out, deadlifts are out. Neither of those movements add mass as well as other compound or isolation movements.

I strive to beat the log book every single session. I have to train with the highest intensity possible in order for my programming to work.

Last edited:

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I lift 4 days per week, one of which is just a muscle feeder days that's only meant to increase blood flow to each primary group. That's it. I've put on FAR more quality mass doing this than I ever have in the past. You have to allow your entire body enough time to rest.

If I blast chest, triceps, and hamstrings one day, I don't just blindly assume I can hit back, biceps, and calves the next day. Day 1 muscles will not fully recover if you dont rest your entire body.

Also, I don't do any movements that dont maximize size and mass gains. Traditional squats are out, deadlifts are out. Neither of those movements add mass as well as other compound or isolation movements.

I strive to beat the log book every single session. I have to train with the highest intensity possible in order for my programming to work.
^^^ What he said! ^^^

Reaction score
Traditional squats are out, deadlifts are out. Neither of those movements add mass as well as other compound or isolation movements.

What you mean squats aren't as good for building muscle? I haven't heard this one before

I understand deadlifts often carry a bad rap. And probably for good reason. But squats?

Could you explain please...

New Threads