Are you studying a second language?

Reaction score
You're probably using textbooks or audibles. Or best of all, physically submerged in an environment where the language is used.

But whatever you are doing, maybe you can submerge yourself in other ways (no matter your location or wealth) to maximize your language learning.

Once you know the basics of the second language then maybe you could:

• (free) Change the langue on your phone, laptop and/or other electronic devices
    • if you stay the course even when you are tempted to switch back you will learn!
  • (free) add the keyboard of the second language to your electronic devices. Then use it. (to learn the Japanese keyboard use an app called "FlickPower")
  • (free) Follow people on SNS that bodybuild (or whatever) and that write in the second language you're learning
    • Tip: follow as many people who speak the second language as your first
    • Tip: Use your laptop and get a google translate widget on your browser so when you're reading a post you can simply highlight the text and the translated version will automatically pop up (without manually copying and pasting into google translate)
  • (free) Follow brands and organizations on SNS (like NikeTokyo, IFBB Japan, Prime Minister's Office)
  • (free) Follow hashtags
  • (free) Go to children news/educational sites (like kids.yahoo.co.jp)
  • (free) Play social videogames or mobile games with teammates who know the second language (like join a Japanese clan in COC)
  • (free) Watch movies in the second language with subtitles also in the second language
    • ​Google which shows your streaming service provides in the second language

What language(s) are you learning? What methods do you use?

Also, for those who are learning Japanese I've attached a few tried-and-true resources that are FREE (exceptional are bolded):
  • google translate
  • Jisho.org
    • (versatile Japanese dictionary)
  • tofugu.com
    • (creators of Wanikani the kanji learning program and provides a free hiragana and katakana learning program)
  • supernative.tv/ja/
    • (trains you to hear, read, and speak Japanese using over 10,000 bite-sized clips from TV and movies)

• wkdonc.github.io/conjugation/drill
    • (customizable conjugation flash cards)
  • genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/kanji-reading-practice
    • (kanji practice based on the Genki textbooks)
  • guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/verbs
    • (free fundamentals textbook)
  • watanoc.com/
    • (real articles that are designed to help you read Japanese and can be categorized by N5-N3 with reading aids)
  • nlt.tsukuba.lagoinst.info/search
    • (customizable generator ranking the popularity of Japanese words)
  • gou.ninja
    • (Drill your listening ability of Japanese numbers)

Japanese news sites:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You're probably using textbooks or audibles. Or best of all, physically submerged in an environment where the language is used.

But whatever you are doing, maybe you can submerge yourself in other ways (no matter your location or wealth) to maximize your language learning.

Once you know the basics of the second language then maybe you could:

• (free) Change the langue on your phone, laptop and/or other electronic devices
    • if you stay the course even when you are tempted to switch back you will learn!
  • (free) add the keyboard of the second language to your electronic devices. Then use it. (to learn the Japanese keyboard use an app called "FlickPower")
  • (free) Follow people on SNS that bodybuild (or whatever) and that write in the second language you're learning
    • Tip: follow as many people who speak the second language as your first
    • Tip: Use your laptop and get a google translate widget on your browser so when you're reading a post you can simply highlight the text and the translated version will automatically pop up (without manually copying and pasting into google translate)
  • (free) Follow brands and organizations on SNS (like NikeTokyo, IFBB Japan, Prime Minister's Office)
  • (free) Follow hashtags
  • (free) Go to children news/educational sites (like kids.yahoo.co.jp)
  • (free) Play social videogames or mobile games with teammates who know the second language (like join a Japanese clan in COC)
  • (free) Watch movies in the second language with subtitles also in the second language
    • ​Google which shows your streaming service provides in the second language

What language(s) are you learning? What methods do you use?

Also, for those who are learning Japanese I've attached a few tried-and-true resources that are FREE (exceptional are bolded):
  • google translate
  • Jisho.org
    • (versatile Japanese dictionary)
  • tofugu.com
    • (creators of Wanikani the kanji learning program and provides a free hiragana and katakana learning program)
  • supernative.tv/ja/
    • (trains you to hear, read, and speak Japanese using over 10,000 bite-sized clips from TV and movies)

• wkdonc.github.io/conjugation/drill
    • (customizable conjugation flash cards)
  • genki.japantimes.co.jp/self/kanji-reading-practice
    • (kanji practice based on the Genki textbooks)
  • guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar/verbs
    • (free fundamentals textbook)
  • watanoc.com/
    • (real articles that are designed to help you read Japanese and can be categorized by N5-N3 with reading aids)
  • nlt.tsukuba.lagoinst.info/search
    • (customizable generator ranking the popularity of Japanese words)
  • gou.ninja
    • (Drill your listening ability of Japanese numbers)

Japanese news sites:

Damn you man!

THIS IS MY SAFE SPACE!!!!!!!!!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I speak 3 languages. Wouldn't mind learning another one. Too fuking busy!

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
I want to speak the language of love , but know one will teach me!!

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’ve been told I speak different languages when I’m hammered.

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
Grew up with the elders using a handful of the old world languages ( Deutsch and Norwegian) as a grown up I spend free time, have to be bored almost never happens too busy, but German and Spanish mainly my wife likes French. She knows way more than me. Hebrew so I could understand the ancients books. Since joining ug I’m thinking I need to pick up Cantonese and mandarin and TY haha. They got what I neeeeed!!! Haha

New Threads