Burn 2x more fat

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Vid, you being out of shape has nothing to do with this thread. Stay on point!:32 (18):

Spongy said the studies used obese people. I believe it you and not me that is ruled out by that fact alone!! :32 (19):

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I’ve always been told that cardio after lifting burns more fat based off the same science of fasted cardio... any thoughts on that?
I mean I always do my cardio after lifting anyway
as to not wear myself out before my lift as that is priority.

PFM

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Keto works for weight loss but so does sawing your arm off. Neither would be very productive for lifting.

I have been experimenting with cheat meals and KETO meals. Historically, I've had success introducing a cheat meal once and sometimes twice a week while cutting. Pizza, sausage, eggs & toast or a burger & fies shock my digestive system into overdrive. I am not talking about a carb overload creating a insulin spike, I am talking a high protein and fat meal with carbs. Knowing this works for me I have taken in a perfect KETO meal on my cheat days and found the KETO accomplishes the same result without the bloat and immediate weight gain resulting from the cheat meal.

In my experience KETO was never meant to be a diet, rather a intermittent meal to keep the body guessing.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve always been told that cardio after lifting burns more fat based off the same science of fasted cardio... any thoughts on that?
I mean I always do my cardio after lifting anyway
as to not wear myself out before my lift as that is priority.

Here's where people get lost in the details. A calorie is just a form of measuring energy. It takes energy to move something so weightlifting does burn calories. Let's not forget for a muscular man, he probably needs about 200 cals for his extra muscle tissue to just exist but that's another topic. Just to ballpark some numbers; I would say in a hour workout, you burn about 150 calories, a far cry from running 4 miles in the same hour that would get you about 600 cals burned.

So lets do some math. You workout for an hr. (150 cals) and then run 4 miles (600 cals) that's 750 cals burned, great right?. You still have not depleted the glycogen storage of approximately 2,000 calories that is stored in your muscles and liver. Now I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think you tap into your fat reserve until most of the glycogen is gone.

I have often observed long distance runners "Hitting the wall". (IMO) This is the point where the body is switching over from the carbs burned to the fats being burned. And when does this happen to marathon runners? At the 20-22 mile mark in their run. Now you'll burn more then a 140 lb Kenyan but you probably won't be able to go half that distance so you'll never see the switch over.

Weight loss is simple; calories in and calories out. I find it's not really as important to tap into your fat reserve using cardio as much as it is to 'Starve" it from being renewed. But hey, I could be wrong!

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
You need to up your game if your only burning 150 cals per workout, I get through that many having a wank. My fitbit said

Here's where people get lost in the details. A calorie is just a form of measuring energy. It takes energy to move something so weightlifting does burn calories. Let's not forget for a muscular man, he probably needs about 200 cals for his extra muscle tissue to just exist but that's another topic. Just to ballpark some numbers; I would say in a hour workout, you burn about 150 calories, a far cry from running 4 miles in the same hour that would get you about 600 cals burned.

So lets do some math. You workout for an hr. (150 cals) and then run 4 miles (600 cals) that's 750 cals burned, great right?. You still have not depleted the glycogen storage of approximately 2,000 calories that is stored in your muscles and liver. Now I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think you tap into your fat reserve until most of the glycogen is gone.

I have often observed long distance runners "Hitting the wall". (IMO) This is the point where the body is switching over from the carbs burned to the fats being burned. And when does this happen to marathon runners? At the 20-22 mile mark in their run. Now you'll burn more then a 140 lb Kenyan but you probably won't be able to go half that distance so you'll never see the switch over.

Weight loss is simple; calories in and calories out. I find it's not really as important to tap into your fat reserve using cardio as much as it is to 'Starve" it from being renewed. But hey, I could be wrong!

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
I find the talk about how far into a workout you needa go to deplete glycogen before you hit fat interesting . But for simple person just cal deficit and a exercise program should do the trick. I found that towarda last few months of my cut i was in ketosis often. I wasnt even doing 70% fat, my cals and macros were 1108 cals, 180 protein, 16 carbs, 36 fat. thats how I got to single digit bf%. Workouts were shit. I was in ketosis because my mouth tasted like metal and my pee smelled like cinnamon toast crunch . But i was on gear and gh, also taking 2 different preworkouts at 1 time b4 every workout and doing 2 hours 20 mins of cardio a day lol wtf. Sorry what was this topic about? And why tf did i put myself through that?

Reaction score
I could not agree more. For me it was not just about cutting out carbs. It was also about replacing those carbs with proteins and making sure to eat the right foods to keep the hunger at bay.

TheSpectre

Reaction score
Ketosis is great for short-term weight-loss, not muscle building, IMO. This is based on personal experience.

Sityslicker1

Reaction score
Hey Spongy, I think you know a little about nutrition; how much glycogen is stored in the liver and muscles in terms of calories that you need to burn through before you tap a single fat cell?
Average person stores 100g liver glycogen and 300 muscle glycogen.

Migmaster

Reaction score
Keto works for weight loss but so does sawing your arm off. Neither would be very productive for lifting.
I lost all of 100 Pounds on keto But that was prior to lifting. It would be hard to keep enough energy up to lift on keto

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I lost all of 100 Pounds on keto But that was prior to lifting. It would be hard to keep enough energy up to lift on keto
The lack of a keto diet didn't put on that 100 lbs so instituting it didn't take it off.

My guess is you got serious about losing weight and with some serious determination, you got the job done.

You're right on its hard to sustain that kind of a diet and train hard. People have done it but man it's hard.

Migmaster

Reaction score
The lack of a keto diet didn't put on that 100 lbs so instituting it didn't take it off.

My guess is you got serious about losing weight and with some serious determination, you got the job done.

You're right on its hard to sustain that kind of a diet and train hard. People have done it but man it's hard.
100% dedication to drop 100 pounds, took diet and cardio and a lot of it. Ketosis the entire time

New Threads