Logbook - What’s your secret sauce?

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
For those of you who use a logbook.. what do you record?

Specifically, do you record things beyond sets, reps and weights. I.e do you record intensity levels, rest/abnormal conditions... partials etc.

How have you used it to improve your training beyond progressive overload?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I keep track of RIR on some lifts, to either keep consistency or to gauge when I should go up in weight.

Also rest Intervals, to keep me on time so I'm not at the gym for too long.

Bullseye Forever

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Actually I’ve kept a record of my workouts since 2005

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Reps. Sets. PR's. Misses. Where and why.

If a weight was too easy, I'll note to increase weight the following week.

If a lift is lagging, i will make a note to continue working on that certain one.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I keep track of RIR on some lifts, to either keep consistency or to gauge when I should go up in weight.

Also rest Intervals, to keep me on time so I'm not at the gym for too long.

Rest intervals and RAR make a lot of sense. Good stuff.

Gibs, doesn’t checking UG count as going to the gym? Have I been doing it wrong?

Dan, thanks for going the nature route. I was thinking it was going to be a coffee table book about clogged toilet bowls.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I log every exercise, set and rep. Beyond on that there maybe a "Felt good" or "Felt heavy" as a note on the last heavy set.

I am methodical about logging all my measurements and BW before a cycle, 1/2 way in and when I finish my cycle. PP measurements are optional. Don't guess or try to recall.

HollyWoodCole

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't log anything. Judging by Snake's physical appearance maybe I should start doing so.

I know what to target by knowing what I don't want to do.....this is obviously where I need to put in more work.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Does your pp grown or shrink on a cycle?

I log every exercise, set and rep. Beyond on that there maybe a "Felt good" or "Felt heavy" as a note on the last heavy set.

I am methodical about logging all my measurements and BW before a cycle, 1/2 way in and when I finish my cycle. PP measurements are optional. Don't guess or try to recall.

DF

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I log date, exercise, sets, reps. If on blast I record that info. My goal it to meet or beat what is written down by either weight or reps. If a set is too easy I increase weight and/or reps.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I do it a bit different. I video most my sets so I can watch for technique and bar speed and placement. Breaking down my work and try and make instant improvement as I go further in the workout. I have a digital camera and it doesn’t cost anything to push the record button and even delete where I feel necessary.

Deadhead

Elite
Reaction score
I log food and body parts worked dont go into exact detail on workout

Reaction score
I do it a bit different. I video most my sets so I can watch for technique and bar speed and placement. Breaking down my work and try and make instant improvement as I go further in the workout. I have a digital camera and it doesn’t cost anything to push the record button and even delete where I feel necessary.
Tiny I don’t imagine you record accessory work too, do you?

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score

I've started doing this recently myself, and it's already helped tremendously. Especially while learning how to sit back far enough with box squats.

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
I didn’t when I lifted at the gym, but since I’m a basement trainer now I always log sets and weights used as well as injuries or type of session. Helps me balance my training and when to make changes.oh, and like Snake said, I never log things I don’t use!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Tiny I don’t imagine you record accessory work too, do you?
No sir. Unless it is a compound exercise I am using as an accessory. Ie: deads to BB rows. Again it is free so if I feel my technical approach is going to shit. I record it.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I've started doing this recently myself, and it's already helped tremendously. Especially while learning how to sit back far enough with box squats.
exactly. It may feel good and your training partner may say it looks ok. The video won’t lie. Been a great training tool for me in powerlifting

New Threads