Working with millennials

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
By some stroke I luck, I work on a team where the millennials outnumber those older than 30 by a 4:1 ratio.

-One wears her ear buds all day and acts annoyed if you try to engage in a conversation.
-Two drink enough of those stupid "colorful" drinks from starbucks that I'm surprised they don't piss blue.
-One insists on a selfie of just her anytime we do a team pic so she has something to post on instagram.

Anyone else work with this generation? Any tips?

Reaction score
Honestly I fall into the "millennial" category. We aren't all the same. I was brought up a much different way. Small farm town Midwest. Most of us know how to work where I'm from.

Still though I know exactly what everyone complains about. I run quite a few of these types of "millennials" on jobsites.
I find that if I can relate to them in some way... Most where I'm from are into cars or music, girls or whatever. Even if I don't whole heartily like what they like it makes simple conversation when appropriate. It gets better and better I've found. I think a lot of people just don't try long enough to actually just try to get into a real conversation.

Though once some open up and trust you. Some never seem to shut up.

It is however maybe a lot easier for me sense I'm a bit younger. I get a long a whole lot better with the guys older then me on site though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Crop dusting is an acceptable way to deal with millennials. What is disturbing is knowing they’ll be in charge one day...

Some are. It is scary. Run into companies all the time that everyone knows won't last.

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
By some stroke I luck, I work on a team where the millennials outnumber those older than 30 by a 4:1 ratio.

-One wears her ear buds all day and acts annoyed if you try to engage in a conversation.
-Two drink enough of those stupid "colorful" drinks from starbucks that I'm surprised they don't piss blue.
-One insists on a selfie of just her anytime we do a team pic so she has something to post on instagram.

Anyone else work with this generation? Any tips?

Ok boomer ..

Kohler

Elite
Reaction score
Oh blah di, oh blah dah, life goes on yeah! - the beatles.

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Tell them to stop being pussy’s or you’ll take away their safe space. I hate kids that are soft.not all , but overall a week generation. These snowflakes give the hard working kids of there generation a bad name. I don’t know how you deal with them brother. We’ll pray for ya!!!

RISE

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Millenials can be over 30, like myself.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Sheesh, I have one at my current employer who the owner will probably want me to get rid of because she is ALWAYS on her phone because she is waiting on someone for something. Of course, when I ask her if her filing is done or if any of the other tasks are done the answer is always NO... Well, DO THAT while waiting!

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I work in a field that's majority millennials and ironically the most annoying things we have to deal with is difficult/complaining customers and members of the public and they are always baby boomers. They have so much entitlement!

bvs

Elite
Reaction score
I work in a field that's majority millennials and ironically the most annoying things we have to deal with is difficult/complaining customers and members of the public and they are always baby boomers. They have so much entitlement!

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I have to agree BVS, BUT! a high % of boomers know what the meaning of a hard days work is. Reality is though that a hard days work, and the satisfaction one had for a job well done is few and far between now days, not saying those folks aren't out there, just fewer.
To add one more thing, entitlement with boomers comes at the end of their carrier , with millennials it come at the beginning, and so far has continued.

Last edited:

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I have to agree BVS, BUT! a high % of boomers know what the meaning of a hard days work is. Reality is though that a hard days work, and the satisfaction one had for a job well done is few and far between now days, not saying those folks aren't out there, just fewer.
To add one more thing, entitlement with boomers comes at the end of their carrier , with millennials it come at the beginning, and so far has continued.

Perfectly phrased.

Thank god Gen X is perfect!

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
On Gen-X'ers...

“We’re the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War’s a spiritual war… our Great Depression is our lives. We’ve all been raised on television to believe that one day we’d all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won’t. And we’re slowly learning that fact. And we’re very, very pissed off.” - Chuck Palahniuk

As a fellow Gen-X'er (by just 1 year) living in the US, I see my generation as being a demographic bridge between the conservative, largelly racially homogenous Boomers and the liberal, racially and culturally diverse Millennials. We're book-ended between two much larger and noisier demographics, and we feel the pain of transition on each side. We've never been doted over by the media in the way the Boomers were, and we've never been studied in the way the "participation trophy" Millenials have with their never-ending stories of being 'race blind' and their rampant embracing of technology in the face of dire economic circumstances which they were born into.

What we've got going for us is our inherent self-reliance and our "Devil May Care" attitude regarding what others may think of us. We know we're entitled to only that which we take on our own, and we're not looking for help from a bigger government or expecting to be successful simply by having been born in one of the greatest countries in the world. We're here because we earned it, and it may be the best lesson we can offer to each of those fraternal generations surrounding us.

Last edited:

Cslogger515

Reaction score
I don't work with any millennials besides myself. Logging is to much for them. My generation sucks. I gave acouple guys my age a shot and it's non stop whining no motivation and bad on my health because I have a short temper when it comes to work.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm a millennial