Sterilized Gear??

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you guys sterilize your gear? Or do you just pin it?

G

Georgia

What do you mean by sterilize? I just pin it and hope it IS sterilized when it arrives.

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by sterilize? I just pin it and hope it IS sterilized when it arrives.

That is what I thought. I just read something about boiling it, microwaving it, etc. I just assume my source has clean gear.

coltmc4545

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If it was home brewed by someone you know then I'd sterilize it. If its UGL I wouldn't worry too much unless you're super paranoid or get an infection of course.

Cobra Strike

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
boiling it and heating it up will not sterilize it. Filtering sterilizes the gear. You will most likely know if the ugl you are using doesnt sterilize their gear...they wont be in business lol

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
boiling it and heating it up will not sterilize it. Filtering sterilizes the gear. You will most likely know if the ugl you are using doesnt sterilize their gear...they wont be in business lol

I don't think I have anything to worry about. PEA.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
As long as ur lab is gtg then I wouldn't worry

SFGiants

Elite
Reaction score
If it was home brewed by someone you know then I'd sterilize it. If its UGL I wouldn't worry too much unless you're super paranoid or get an infection of course.

Dude, home brewed and UGL is the same thing lol!

All these dudes are brewing at home would be stupid to brew elsewhere then travel with it!

AndroSport

Traptheend
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Do you guys sterilize your gear? Or do you just pin it?

Shit I didn't mean to dislike this post bro my mouse is actin crazy. Sorry bout that. Don't see an undo option so maybe a mod can fix?

Lulu66

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Just pin it and hope for the best... Is all part of the game.

noobmuscle

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
PEA has nothing but good reviews so far brother... pin it and be done with it.

krashrt

SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Unless you know who's brewing it and trust them its cheap to get a 12ml sryinge, .2 micron filters, and a sterile vial. I'd be amazed if all of these labs use aseptic technique let alone a 797 clean room. Most brew in their house with a a raw hook up, BA/BB, vials, a crimper, and label maker. I've seen some pretty intresting methods of forcing oil through filters. Too much pressure or not changing filters can actually damage the filter which may or may not be obvious. It's all trust I suppose.

creekrat

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'd say you're gtg. Plus the BA does keep it sterile to an extent but filter if you're worried

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

This post is the highlight of this thread. You're not going to boil out spore formers.

You could autoclave it I suppose. Got an autoclave? Lol

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started those thread over three months ago when I didn't know jack shit. I am no longer concerned about sterilization.

PillarofBalance

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I started those thread over three months ago when I didn't know jack shit. I am no longer concerned about sterilization.

Doesn't mean the discussion stops ;)

Glad to hear that in 3 months at SI you've climbed quite a learning curve

Shane1974

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Doesn't mean the discussion stops ;)

Glad to hear that in 3 months at SI you've climbed quite a learning curve

This curve was no hill for a stepper. I have climbed MUCH higher learning curves than this. I would tell you, but you would think I was exaggerating.

New Threads