Var vs. Test

Redemption79

Reaction score
I'm contemplating a couple of cycle options. I'll be leaving for vacation in about 10 weeks, and want to look good on the beach. I could definitely lose some weight, and it shouldn't be too difficult (I'm probably around 18-20% BF right now). I'm absolutely aware that diet is 95% of what will determine my results, and that nothing can overcome a poor diet...I have this part under control.
I'm currently strength training every 3rd day, and hitting cardio hard as often as I can (I keep it lower impact on weight training days and go hard on off days). I'm using 160mg test cyp/week (been on TRT for a while), and 0-1mg anastrozole/week (usually 0.5mg/week).

I'm considering either increasing my test dosage to 350-400mg/week and adding a a bit more AI,
-OR-
Leaving my test dosage alone and adding in 50mg/day Anavar.

I know a lot of people love Anavar for cutting cycles when they're already lean, but in my situation, I'm curious if some of you would favor a test only cycle to Var. I realize I could do both (400mg test + 50mg Var), but I've never done more than what most would consider TRT dosages of test, so I prefer to do either/or, in an effort to better comprehend effects/side-effects from the changes made.

A few things to note...

- Health markers are pretty good via bloodwork. Last test showed 161 LDL, but I expect it to be within range or close when I get bloods in a week or two. Everything else was great.

- I have fairly virgin receptors. I've done a couple very mild and short PH cycles years ago (11-ketotestosterone, and a DHT-based PH). Enough to know that I don't like back pumps:eek:, but not enough to do anything significant. Outside of TRT, I've had nothing hormonal over the last maybe 10 years.

- I'm realistic. I don't plan on being 5%BF in 10 weeks, and I realize nothing is magic...just looking for the best option to help me do the best I can at the young age of 40.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
Damn man i am very pleased by your smart thinking there, good man...
I personally in your situation would just up the test over adding the var.
You know the diet is king, so make the adjustments needed and don't falter.
Get that cardio in, everyday.
10 weeks is not a lot of time to make amazing results, but you can get things a lot tighter in that time for sure.
best of luck dude!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I would up your test dose over adding anavar.
Like Gibs mentioned, hit your cardio consistently and keep your diet clean. 10 weeks will be enough time to look bigger and harder

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you weight train only every 3rd day.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
If this is to look good for a few days vacation, I got ya covered.

If you run your Test Cyp. up to 400mg/wk, you will look slightly bigger but also more bloated. Forget the BS that someone is going to tell you about controlling your Estrogen will control the bloat because it's only half right. Any time you add in more test, you add in slightly more bloat. You can run 750 mg of test and have your E2 in range and still look slightly puffy.

So how do you get around having a soft look and still gain some size while on a cut? Here you go:

Week 1-7 Test P 500-750
Week 6-9 Anavar 25mg AM, 25mg PM
Week 8-9 No test
Week 10 TRT shot with your Cyp the day you leave for vacation.

I should go without saying that you will need to up your AI accordingly. There's other factors that roll into this but that's the basics.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
He has, and the results speak for themselves. I was hoping he'd chime in on this one.
Agree with his statement.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Wow.....Snake what other tricks are u hiding under your sleeve, lol.

Awesome.

Tren4Life

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
He has, and the results speak for themselves. I was hoping he'd chime in on this one.
Agree with his statement.

I agree with snake too except I’d run the var from the start all the way to week 11 but that’s just me.

Redemption79

Reaction score
If this is to look good for a few days vacation, I got ya covered.

If you run your Test Cyp. up to 400mg/wk, you will look slightly bigger but also more bloated. Forget the BS that someone is going to tell you about controlling your Estrogen will control the bloat because it's only half right. Any time you add in more test, you add in slightly more bloat. You can run 750 mg of test and have your E2 in range and still look slightly puffy.

So how do you get around having a soft look and still gain some size while on a cut? Here you go:

Week 1-7 Test P 500-750
Week 6-9 Anavar 25mg AM, 25mg PM
Week 8-9 No test
Week 10 TRT shot with your Cyp the day you leave for vacation.

I should go without saying that you will need to up your AI accordingly. There's other factors that roll into this but that's the basics.
Thanks for the suggestion, Snake. This seems pretty simple but honestly I hadn't considered it.
Do you think there's going to be a big difference between using prop vs cyp if I'm off test 3 weeks out?

Redemption79

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you weight train only every 3rd day.

It would be more often, but im rehabbing my right Achilles right now so I'm stuck with upper body only (still able to use stair climb, elliptical, some running for cardio, but no real resistance training).

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
If you're rehabbing an injury and can't really train half of your body then you shouldn't run a blast, at all. Stick to your trt and do your best with diet and what exercises you are capable of doing. In 10 weeks you wil be able to lose 5% bodyfat without losing muscle. Your trt should help you maintain what muscle you currently have.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, Snake. This seems pretty simple but honestly I hadn't considered it.
Do you think there's going to be a big difference between using prop vs cyp if I'm off test 3 weeks out?

Figured I'd end up getting into the details sooner or later. I try to avoid the details because people tend to cherry-pick statements that are splitting hairs but here we go.

Your problem is 2 fold; start time and end time, both of which are fixed leaving you total length of time. I chose Test P so you could start quicker and end quicker. I can pull this off with Cyp. but not in your time frame. The half life of Test Cypionate is twice that of Test Propionate. Ballpark here but if the maximum saturation rate is at 4-5 weeks and to return to baseline takes another 4-5 weeks on Cyp, you can see there is little time for anything productive.

The timing, compound doses and lengths are just an educated guess by my own experiences. The goal here is to climb fast, peak, dive hard and not crash and burn. The weeks off the test will drop your TT to dry you out while the Var is doing it's job. If all goes well, you should look cut and your dick should be functioning just fine.

I don't like doing things this way but if it's all you're giving me and expecting a good final product, this is what I suggest. Then again, doing nothing is also an option.

Redemption79

Reaction score
If you're rehabbing an injury and can't really train half of your body then you shouldn't run a blast, at all. Stick to your trt and do your best with diet and what exercises you are capable of doing. In 10 weeks you wil be able to lose 5% bodyfat without losing muscle. Your trt should help you maintain what muscle you currently have.
I totally get your position here, and I'm definitely not surprised to hear it. I hope to start working some legs back in over the next couple weeks, but it admittedly won't be 100% intensity for a while.
While this is unfortunate and I for the most part agree with your sentiment, there are a couple counter-points I'd like to make:

1) If I waited until I was 100% to blast, there would be no blast, ever. I'm 40 years old, and this isn't anywhere near the first time I've considered AAS, but believe it or not, it is the best I've felt physically in years, despite some of the nagging issues I have.

2) I'm busting my ass, and I'm beating the shit out of my body in the gym. My recovery is a limiting factor right now (every third day is by necessity, not design) . While I understand why you might view a cycle as "wasted" at this point, I'm not at all under the impression that I wouldn't benefit immensely right now from hormones.

I hope you can read between the lines here and understand that I'm not really arguing...I understand your advice and appreciate it. I'm just trying to give you a little understanding from my shoes.

Redemption79

Reaction score
Figured I'd end up getting into the details sooner or later. I try to avoid the details because people tend to cherry-pick statements that are splitting hairs but here we go.

Your problem is 2 fold; start time and end time, both of which are fixed leaving you total length of time. I chose Test P so you could start quicker and end quicker. I can pull this off with Cyp. but not in your time frame. The half life of Test Cypionate is twice that of Test Propionate. Ballpark here but if the maximum saturation rate is at 4-5 weeks and to return to baseline takes another 4-5 weeks on Cyp, you can see there is little time for anything productive.

The timing, compound doses and lengths are just an educated guess by my own experiences. The goal here is to climb fast, peak, dive hard and not crash and burn. The weeks off the test will drop your TT to dry you out while the Var is doing it's job. If all goes well, you should look cut and your dick should be functioning just fine.

I don't like doing things this way but if it's all you're giving me and expecting a good final product, this is what I suggest. Then again, doing nothing is also an option.

Shit. I was only considering the added time from the longer ester at the end of the cycle, not the beginning. That makes sense Snake. I was trying to avoid pinning EOD with prop, but I suppose it is what it is. I considered continuing my cyp dose as is, and adding prop on top of that, but I'd still probably end up pinning as often.

Thanks for the insight; that's why im here.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Both what Snake said and Seeker. I vacation twice a year, October and April. I like to look my leanest on vacation, and I follow a similar approach. The best I've looked has been on TRT dose test and a little bit of mast the last weeks prior to vacation. Four weeks isn't quite enough to get all the water off, six weeks works about right for me. Even contest prepped you're only gonna hold that line for a day or two. So I'd recommend, first what Seeker said, second if you run a cycle, run it up to 6 weeks before your trip, then trt test and 50mg ananvar until vacation time. This of course with strict diet discipline and a healthy dose of cardio in the mix.

New Threads