Rookie Supplement Question

Reaction score
Hello, I need some instruction on how to properly use sports powders.

Garden of Life Energy + Focus pre workout

Clean Machine Clean BCAA

Garden of Life Recovery post workout

Garden of Life Grass Fed Whey Protein

I'll include links to these products if you want to take a closer look at ingredients etc.

First one states to take the pre workout (ENERGY + FOCUS) 20 min bedore exercise, which I understand. During exercise I plan to take the "CLEAN BCAA" in my water as I stay hydrated. Immediately after working out I plan to take the post workout (RECOVERY) , but here is where I'm confused. The RECOVERY has very little protein. I'm under the impression that having protein after lifting weights is important to making muscle gains, etc.

Am i supposed to mix the RECOVERY and the GRASS FED WHEY PROTEIN and drink them at the same time? I have not tried the RECOVERY yet, I usually have the protein immediately after working out.

Please tell me what is the proper and best way to use these products. Also, do you think I'm taking the right supplements? Are any of these NOT necessary or worth the money? What other supplements should be taking? Daily I take multivitamin, minerals, fish oil, vitamin D3.

Thanks in advance!
-AL

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-energy-focus/

cleanmachineonline.com/products/clean-bcaa

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-recovery/

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-whey-protein/

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
I will just be candid with you supplements are just exactly that a supplement to what your currently putting in your body. I will tell you most of that stuff is a waste of money. The ones I use are creatine monohydrate take 5 grams a day. Whey protein when needed, but you should be eating mostly whole foods to get your protein, crabs and fats. And pre workout supplements are a joke in my opinion...I also used to drink that shit. Anymore my pre workout consists of 2-3 cups of black coffee, thats all I need. Fish oil, multivitamins if its helping take it. If your trying to gain weight and put on muscle you need to just eat a lot of food and workout consistently.

Good luck on your goals, by the way why dont you go to the new member section and introduce yourself, tell us your goals and a little about yourself.

Reactions: CJ

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
Hello, I need some instruction on how to properly use sports powders.

Garden of Life Energy + Focus pre workout

Clean Machine Clean BCAA

Garden of Life Recovery post workout

Garden of Life Grass Fed Whey Protein

I'll include links to these products if you want to take a closer look at ingredients etc.

First one states to take the pre workout (ENERGY + FOCUS) 20 min bedore exercise, which I understand. During exercise I plan to take the "CLEAN BCAA" in my water as I stay hydrated. Immediately after working out I plan to take the post workout (RECOVERY) , but here is where I'm confused. The RECOVERY has very little protein. I'm under the impression that having protein after lifting weights is important to making muscle gains, etc.

Am i supposed to mix the RECOVERY and the GRASS FED WHEY PROTEIN and drink them at the same time? I have not tried the RECOVERY yet, I usually have the protein immediately after working out.

Please tell me what is the proper and best way to use these products. Also, do you think I'm taking the right supplements? Are any of these NOT necessary or worth the money? What other supplements should be taking? Daily I take multivitamin, minerals, fish oil, vitamin D3.

Thanks in advance!
-AL

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-energy-focus/

cleanmachineonline.com/products/clean-bcaa

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-recovery/

gardenoflife.com/content/product/organic-whey-protein/

Grass fed whey, that must be worth an extra $50 a jug.

Like previously mentioned by Boogie, a waste of money is all you are describing in my book also. Don't be that newbie that gets sucked into the over hyped, over priced rabbit hole of supps. A solid diet, some middle of the road whey, a multi- vitamin, and a solid dedication to your workouts is seriously what a person needs.

Reactions: CJ

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
You probably won't need a single supplement if you eat a wide variety of REAL food, not man-made convenience foods, with a few exceptions, perhaps something like vitamin D.

Pre and post workout supplements are just a marketing ploy, in my opinion. I just eat a solid meal a couple of hours before training, and another meal after training when I get home.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
In my opinion most supplements are pretty much trash on parade, with a few exceptions.

My routine,

Pre workout, a damn good breakfast (current is oatmeal, yogurt, prunes, fit pb) and a cup of coffee long enough before so you aren't working out on a full stomach.

BCAAs, with a huge glass of cold water and a handful of gummy bears immediately post workout

Whey protein 20 minutes or so post workout with whole milk.

I don't take it anymore but creatine definitely helped with energy and muscle fullness in my experience.

Frankly if I was 19 again and lifting I would eat like a hog and I wouldn't take anything other than some whey and/or fit pb to up my protien intake to meet my macros.

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
gummy bears post workout??

In my opinion most supplements are pretty much trash on parade, with a few exceptions.

My routine,

Pre workout, a damn good breakfast (current is oatmeal, yogurt, prunes, fit pb) and a cup of coffee long enough before so you aren't working out on a full stomach.

BCAAs, with a huge glass of cold water and a handful of gummy bears immediately post workout

Whey protein 20 minutes or so post workout with whole milk.

I don't take it anymore but creatine definitely helped with energy and muscle fullness in my experience.

Frankly if I was 19 again and lifting I would eat like a hog and I wouldn't take anything other than some whey and/or fit pb to up my protien intake to meet my macros.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
gummy bears post workout??
I read a thing. Really it's just an excuse to eat gummy bears.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.in...t-workout_key_Gummy_bears.html?outputType=amp
"According to Jim Stoppani, Ph.D, doctor of exercise physiology, you should eat gummy bears immediately after your workout. "Fast-digesting carbs hit your blood stream quicker, causing insulin to spike. Fast-digesting carbs are ideal after a workout. That is one of the main reasons why I recommend opting for the gummy bears," Stoppani states on his website.

By eating gummy bears, or another high glycemic carb like instant oatmeal, you rapidly replenish the glycogen you exerted during your workout. The sugar rush will also increase your insulin level, and when your insulin level increases, the peptide hormone attaches itself to specific receptors on muscle cells, creating a freeway for other nutrients like amino acids, creatine and the almighty protein, to enter directly into the bloodstream."

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
jeff nippard says to eat peach rings intra workout sooo......

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
jeff nippard says to eat peach rings intra workout sooo......

Dude also has kiwi pillows all over his house. Fukker is obsessed with kiwis! :32 (18):

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Per the creating users, I've heard that this makes you put on water, and once you stop taking it you use muscle. I'm trying to balance losing weight and gaining muscle. Im 30 years old, 6 foot 2 inches. Currently weighing 215 pounds. I am definitely over weight from drinking beer and eating junk food. I've been eating only clean whole foods for 2 weeks now and stopped alcohol. So far I've lost 7 pounds, Im sure I lost more in fat but have gained some muscle. I've always been blessed with good gains and results from working out, and in the past I took almost no supplements. Eating healthy meals with protein right after working out and usually before too, has always worked for me, but I was younger and I feel slower now and more prone to injuried. My knees hurt, they crack when I crouch as Im standing back up erect. My left shoulder hurts after I push myself for a few more reps doing pushups, bench press, etc. My right bicep feels like its injured or slow to recover. After bicep curls the soreness lasts too long and hurts when I try to fully extend, weird pain.

My goal is to look like Arnold in his prime, but Im not willing to take steroids to do that. More importantly though I want to be healthy

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My goal is to look like Arnold in his prime, but Im not willing to take steroids to do that. More importantly though I want to be healthy

Arnold in his prime took steroids, so good luck with THAT! :32 (17):

Your other goal though, you've made a great choice by eating real food and limiting alcohol.

Reaction score
Lol, then Ill try to get as close to looking like him as possible without taking steroids. I've stopped alcohol 100%. I'm 100% committed to my goal now, I want to do this before I get too old and its no longer possible. Its been a dream of mine since I was a teenager but I always procrastinated in favor of temporary pleasures like drinking, junk food, etc...

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I understand. Best of luck to you on your journey. It's a long process, so be patient. Consistency will get you to your goals.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Lol, then Ill try to get as close to looking like him as possible without taking steroids. I've stopped alcohol 100%. I'm 100% committed to my goal now, I want to do this before I get too old and its no longer possible. Its been a dream of mine since I was a teenager but I always procrastinated in favor of temporary pleasures like drinking, junk food, etc...

Make goals, keep them attainable, a goal of looking like Arnold in his prime is not very attainable...you will lose your drive more than likely when you never meet that goal...you will never look like Arnold naturally...set some attainable goals reach those goals and set another goal! Good luck brother, the guys here are awesome if you ever need any help with diet or training they are more than happy to help!

Long

Elite
Reaction score

Arnold walked around 210-220 lbs when he was in Hollywood. 240 when he was in competition. You can see the difference physically between Arnold in Conan (bodybuilding and his return in 85 for the second one) and Arnold in Predator or last Action hero.

You are 6' 2" 220 lbs leanish without steroids isn't that big an ask. Couple years of healthy living and a lot of hard work and you can get there. Muscle shape is genetic so looking like Arnold might not happen.

A few Arnold facts if you want them to help you on the "Arnold Schwarzenegger" road.

The bodybuilding encyclopedia

Arnold trained with Vince Gironda, and the 8x8 program is awesome. (Also the original pusher of keto)
Vince called Arnold a fatty:32 (18):

Arnold's hero was Reg Park. Arnold started as a powerlifter as a kid and returned to doing a program that was pretty much just the big 5 lifts designed by Reg to bulk him up when he came to America.

Arnold splits chest tri. Back biceps, work damn good for me.

I'm natty. I don't look like Arnold Schwarzenegger or anything spectacular but I have made plenty of mistakes so feel free to PM me and if I can help you I will.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice and help I can get! Even if I dont look like Arnold in his prime, I will be happy if I can consistently grow and meet goals without getting injured and having to take more time off. Sometimes I think I'm doing something wrong, wrong form, or something, or maybe some parts of my body are irregular and causing the injury. Sometimes I consider hiring a personal trainer but not sure if its worth the money

In the past I would go to the gym one day for chest/triceps, 2nd day back/biceps, 3rd day shoulders/abs, 4th day legs, and 1 rest day, then repeat. Did Arnold have a similar routine? Sorry if I misunderstood your response. I tried to PM but I need 25 posts before it allows me. I was thinking of buying a book or two. The encyclopedia and something called the blueprint on bodybuilding.com

Long

Elite
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate any advice and help I can get! Even if I dont look like Arnold in his prime, I will be happy if I can consistently grow and meet goals without getting injured and having to take more time off. Sometimes I think I'm doing something wrong, wrong form, or something, or maybe some parts of my body are irregular and causing the injury. Sometimes I consider hiring a personal trainer but not sure if its worth the money

In the past I would go to the gym one day for chest/triceps, 2nd day back/biceps, 3rd day shoulders/abs, 4th day legs, and 1 rest day, then repeat. Did Arnold have a similar routine? Sorry if I misunderstood your response. I tried to PM but I need 25 posts before it allows me. I was thinking of buying a book or two. The encyclopedia and something called the blueprint on bodybuilding.com

If I remember correctly he claimed to do abs near every day when preparing. Same for rear delts. He said he kept a 20lb dumbbell under his bed and did lying rears every morning. Lower one day upper the next for abs.

As far as "what Arnold did" there are all kinds of crazy stories and even he himself liked to mess with people so take it with a grain of salt.

He did a very basic big five multiple times a week when he was younger to bulk up. It was a program reg park gave him. Squat, deadlift, row, shoulder press, bench press. I'm sure you can find it online. You could just use reg Parks, I'm sure it's near enough the same

His later routine is crazy. It's the back/biceps, and also the chest/back, shoulders/arms splits with double gym sessions.

So am chest back, PM thighs calves abs.

Next day am shoulders, upper arms forearms calves and abs.

Next day am chest back PM thighs calves abs.

You get the hint.
I've done his workouts. I eventually got burned out but I was also doing other activities. Recovery time is the issue.

Really you should look at you and focus on what you have lagging.

If you are trying to lose weight get a couple of months of consistency in the gym and then look into doing Vince Girondas 8x8 program. Its definitely one of my favorites and the weight is pretty light. But man do you get sore!

Reaction score
After workout your body needs carbs for recovery. Dried fruits work well too, raisins are cheap plus nutrients.

Stick with creatine monohydrate and protein powder along with 4 medium size meals a day with healthy dense snacks. Everything else is filler/caffeine/oversugared.

Supplement company's prey on people new to the scene.