Thread: Ortiz

Elite
    Thanks

Ortiz

I would say Ortiz put on a great show. For anyone not just for a man his age. Wilder hits like a truck, even with shit form. The benefit of being a lanky puncher.

My opinion, Ortiz is better technically. He won every round very clearly. Ifs and butts Ortiz would have gotten a decision had it went the distance very clearly.

My opinion, Wilder is just an OK boxer who has crazy power with unorthodox form and is very good at making space and defending with his legs.

I hope Ortiz decides to stick around a few more years. I think he is a better boxer now than Foreman ever was.
    "A goal without a plan is just a wish"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Long For This Useful Post:

Uncle manny (11-26-2019)

Thanks
    I’m with you 100% I really wanted to see Ortiz win this one. I think Wilder is garbage as boxer. He wins because of his reach and power, no skill at all.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle manny For This Useful Post:

Long (11-26-2019)

Elite
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle manny View Post
    I’m with you 100% I really wanted to see Ortiz win this one. I think Wilder is garbage as boxer. He wins because of his reach and power, no skill at all.
    Power is the great equalizer. Years of training can't give you what some people are "born" with.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Long For This Useful Post:

Uncle manny (11-27-2019)

Thanks
    When you first saw Wilder just in a still photo, and then when you got to see what he could do, did your mind jump to TheHitMan, TheMotorCityCobra, Thomas Hearns? Except that Hearns boxed pretty well too. He was great enough to starch Duran in 2 rounds, but those chicken legs caved to Hagler in 3, and he was beaten by Iran Barkley, a much lesser fighter overall. I keep waiting for something like this to happen to Wilder, with those bird legs and lack of boxing, but it may be a long wait. Closest we had was the Fury fight, but I'm still picking Wilder in the rematch. How the hell did Bermaine Stevens ever go the distance in their first fight?

Those fugging ring walk costumes gotta go; this ain't "the Wrassling." Makes me really ​miss Tyson (Mike) with his old school garb.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rawdeal For This Useful Post:

Uncle manny (12-01-2019)

Elite
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeal View Post
    When you first saw Wilder just in a still photo, and then when you got to see what he could do, did your mind jump to TheHitMan, TheMotorCityCobra, Thomas Hearns? Except that Hearns boxed pretty well too. He was great enough to starch Duran in 2 rounds, but those chicken legs caved to Hagler in 3, and he was beaten by Iran Barkley, a much lesser fighter overall. I keep waiting for something like this to happen to Wilder, with those bird legs and lack of boxing, but it may be a long wait. Closest we had was the Fury fight, but I'm still picking Wilder in the rematch. How the hell did Bermaine Stevens ever go the distance in their first fight?

Those fugging ring walk costumes gotta go; this ain't "the Wrassling." Makes me really ​miss Tyson (Mike) with his old school garb.
    Fury/Wilder is the opposite of a fight. It's like watching two men aggressively avoid being agressive. They both seem scared. I don't care for the style at all. I'm a peekaboo fan. Marciano, Dempsey kind of guy.

I would rather get floored in eight trying to put the hurt on a guy and win with no doubts then have my hand raised after 12 with the other guy still claiming he won.

Fury is no more dangerous than anyone else in the top 100.

Wilder is dangerous at the end of that whip. You have to get inside past the legs and stay there.

I don't think the guys "at the top" hold a candle to the boxers from over a decade ago.

I look forward to seeing Usyk in the ring again.
    Last edited by Long; 12-02-2019 at 10:32 AM.

Thanks
    Two fairly recent ones I would really like to have seen in with Wilder are:
    (1) prime Tyson bobbing and weaving and getting under, at, and to Wilder
    (2) Klitschko (Vitali, not Wlad!) to see if he could trade with Wilder and survive while Wilder could not(?)
    and one less recent, just for curiousity's sake ... George Chuvalo, who could be beaten back in the Ali/Frazier Era, but who was almost impossible to KTFO.

Somewhere in here we should give Wilder his due, taking a medium income but high risk stay busy fight with Ortiz to kill time before a higher income night with Fury ... not too many of today's Boxers in any weight class do that. Have to assume Wilder will meet the Ruiz-Joshua winner asap too as long as Hearn and Joshua don't make a lowball offer like Oscar and Canelo do.
    Last edited by rawdeal; 12-02-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Elite
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rawdeal View Post
    Two fairly recent ones I would really like to have seen in with Wilder are:
    (1) prime Tyson bobbing and weaving and getting under, at, and to Wilder
    (2) Klitschko (Vitali, not Wlad!) to see if he could trade with Wilder and survive while Wilder could not(?)
    and one less recent, just for curiousity's sake ... George Chuvalo, who could be beaten back in the Ali/Frazier Era, but who was almost impossible to KTFO.

Somewhere in here we should give Wilder his due, taking a medium income but high risk stay busy fight with Ortiz to kill time before a higher income night with Fury ... not too many of today's Boxers in any weight class do that. Have to assume Wilder will meet the Ruiz-Joshua winner asap too as long as Hearn and Joshua don't make a lowball offer like Oscar and Canelo do.
    Ortiz was nessesary for his legacy. There may have been doubt historically if you know what I mean.

Wilder fights with his legs. He is good at it.

The more I think about it the more I feel something is off in that first Ruiz/Joshua match.

I honestly would put my money on Usyk against anyone in the division as long as he stays hungry.
    Last edited by Long; 12-02-2019 at 05:28 PM.