My workout routine, thoughts?

Reaction score
Hey guys. After my last thread and the amount of support I got from some senior members, I thought I'd post my workout routine and see what you all think in regards to my training. I used to follow a decent PPL a while a go but hit a plateau in my training for about 4 months with my strength nor size really increasing, thus deciding to attempt my own workout routine.

Due to my job, I REALLY struggle with time. I work an average of 50 hours a week, normally 10/12 hour shifts and finding the time to incorporate my clean diet and workouts can be a struggle for me. I made this routine in the worst case scenario that I can only go to the gym 3 times a week, and I made it mainly for strength training. Without further ado, let me know what you think!

Chest + Quads + Biceps

Wk 1 day 1
Squats 10-8-6
Bench press (Barbell) 10-8-6
Leg press 10-10-10
Decline smith bench 10-10-10
Incline Dumbell Hammer Curls 10-10-10
EZ bar 21's x 2
Overhead cable curl 10-10-10

Shoulders + Upper back + Triceps

wk 1 day 2

Strict press (Barbell)4-4-2 (Up-tight rows superset 10-10-10 between sets)
Shrugs (Barbell) 10-10-10
Arnold Press 10-10-10
Barbell rows (Over grip for 10, then under grip for 10 10(10)-10(10)
Skull crushers 10-10-10
Dip machine 10-10-10
Tricep pushdown rope 10-10-10

Lower back + Hams+calfs + Forearm

wk 1 day 3

Deadlift 10-8-6
Leg extension 10-10-10
Rack pulls 10-10-10
Hamstring extension 10-10-10
Calf raises 10-10-10
Barbell forearm curls 10-10-10
Palms down wrist curls 10-10-10
Palms up wrist curls 10-10-10

That's basically the premise of my workout routine. As I finish the previous week, the next weeks sets change. So I tend to go from high reps, low weight to low reps high weight. I'll present an example;

Chest + Quads + Biceps

wk 2 day 1

Squats 4-4-2
Bench press 4-4-2
Leg press 10-10-10
Decline smith bench 8-8-8

So it goes 10-8-6, 4-4-2, 5-3-1 then reset. That's how I've been doing it the last...pft 4 months maybe? My endurance and strength has increased pretty decently from running this. I'm putting on more mass on this routine too; What's your guys' opinions on it? I'm open to pretty harsh criticism, because I know a lot of you have tons of experience when it comes to training and routines. I try to hit every muscle group at least twice a week; I know the recommended amount is at least 3 times, but I can't always guarantee that. On average I do go gym 4 times a week, So on the 4th day I'll tend to focus on a full body workout so I Hit everything at least 3 times. Abs are normally done at the end of each workout for about 20 minutes.

I've looked at a few other routines recommended by some people; however a lot of them don't directly train your shoulders and unfortunately for me my shoulders are my genetic gift haha, So I ideally would like to train them.

I've looked into German Volume Training and I think it looks pretty damn cool tbh. I'm looking to switch up this routine sooner or later.

Be honest with what you think. I want to change my workout from being strength focused to Muscle building focused.

Much love guys

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
My initial thought is that you're putting too much volume into your arms, especially forearms, when that volume could be better used on compound exercises to hit more muscle groups overall. For context, you're only doing 6 sets in a week for chest, but 9 sets of direct forearm work, plus the fact that you're hitting forearms on your back work and shrugs.

You say you're short on time, so use what time you do have wisely. More 'bang for the buck' exercises.

Last edited:

andy

Elite
Reaction score
u train forearms too much in my opinion. u could use that time for the major muscle groups and doing some campound movements instead.

I mean, you use your arms all the time so why spend so much time on them seperately.

Reaction score
u train forearms too much in my opinion. u could use that time for the major muscle groups and doing some campound movements instead.

I mean, you use your arms all the time so why spend so much time on them seperately.

My initial thought is that you're putting too much volume into your arms, especially forearms, when that volume could be better used on compound exercises to hit more muscle groups overall. For context, you're only doing 6 sets in a week for chest, but 9 sets of direct forearm work, plus the fact that you're hitting forearms on your back work and shrugs.

You say you're short on time, so use what time you do have wisely. More 'bang for the buck' exercises.

Interesting, I never thought about that! I could swap out my forearm routine with a compound lift like Squats. Or Trap bar deadlifts. Really good points guys thanks

New Threads