Jeff Nippard - new study on training volume and hypertrophy

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the guy but I’m never sure how applicable his findings are to people running aas.

My thoughts exactly, Mate. Even he acknowledges the lack of training experience in the lower bodies of some in this study could have contributed to their 'beginner gains'. Toss in the recovery benefits from AAS and I too question how far that threshold of diminishing returns from volume is extended.

Reactions: Jin

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
There are so many studies out there that contradict themselves. Unless you are those particular people, nothing about this study will pertain to you. Every individual is different and will react differently to different styles of training.

The one thing that I agree with is that the participants in this study likely reacted differently due to their experience levels.

Meanwhile, don't forget to buy his supplements for Black Friday lol Ahhhhh, Youtubers

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Youtube can be a training aid or a source of great confusion. I saw a vid once where Tom Platz recommended high reps AND high weight. A separate vid shows him deep squatting 500 for 23 reps, so I guess he, and those legs, proved his point.

My problem is what do I do to get 500x20, besides just doing 200x20 and adding 5lbs every week lol.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Youtube can be a training aid or a source of great confusion. I saw a vid once where Tom Platz recommended high reps AND high weight. A separate vid shows him deep squatting 500 for 23 reps, so I guess he, and those legs, proved his point.

My problem is what do I do to get 500x20, besides just doing 200x20 and adding 5lbs every week lol.

Do 200x20 and add 5lbs every week.

Progressive overload ftw!

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Permission to call a Moderator "smartass" Sir?

My progressive overload stopped progressing right after 205x13, now what? :p

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I have considered steroids, and they've been very considerate to me.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I appreciate the guy but I’m never sure how applicable his findings are to people running aas.

My thoughts exactly, Mate. Even he acknowledges the lack of training experience in the lower bodies of some in this study could have contributed to their 'beginner gains'. Toss in the recovery benefits from AAS and I too question how far that threshold of diminishing returns from volume is extended.

I have to ask you guys and anyone else who feels like answering this, do you really feel that AAS decreases your recovery time? I have heard this everywhere from the media when speaking about PED's to many guys here but I never felt it helped my recovery.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
I have to ask you guys and anyone else who feels like answering this, do you really feel that AAS decreases your recovery time? I have heard this everywhere from the media when speaking about PED's to many guys here but I never felt it helped my recovery.

Yes it has.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

For me, it absolutely has reduced my recovery time. Diet obviously plays a role as well, but diet being equal, AAS lets me train with a higher intensity, more frequently than without.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I am a firm believer in low volume, high intensity. I've put on more muscle training 3 days per week than I ever did training 5.

When did u start training like this or have u always?

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I find it reduces my recovery time as well.

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Permission to call a Moderator "smartass" Sir?

My progressive overload stopped progressing right after 205x13, now what? :p

Change ur training..... obviously uve hit a wall....:)

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
For me, it absolutely has reduced my recovery time. Diet obviously plays a role as well, but diet being equal, AAS lets me train with a higher intensity, more frequently than without.

I know I'm not the norm here. I will say I agree with the intensity while on.

DieYoungStrong

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Try different styles and see what works for you.

I've always done better with higher intensity, more powerlifting type training.

Volume gives me a nice pump in the gym, but I don't see the gains.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I have no mood to go into detail about my thoughts on this, but I will add this. Every professional elite bodybuilder practices high volume training. Very successfully, I might add. There were good points in this video, and also flawed points. Who does 20 sets to failure in one session? And where did the failure end rep and weight wise ? Well if you're a beginner, yeah you're gonna have a problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For me, I'd say it's definitely helped. I've varied my TRT dose over the years, from as high as 500-600 mgs per week to as low as >100 mgs per week. Regardless of which compounds I was taking, higher doses always seemed to shorten my recovery period between workouts. I'm judging purely by muscle soreness, so other factors may be involved. But, how many of you guys actually feel really sore a couple days after working a muscle group when you're on vs. when you're off? I know it's a crude measure, but soreness is how I judge that I'm working hard enough in the gym. It seemed to take much more intensity for me to get sore after starting TRT, so that's the sign that I always look for. I always thought that was one of the biggest benefits of AAS's, better recovery.

New Threads