Cleaning barbells

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
My current company gym doesn't ever clean their iron and the barbells and some of the dumbells are pretty nasty where gripped. I want to suggest some easy way for them to clean up the rust, skin and dirt and shit off.. Any suggestions?
Also, is it even worth doing this or will they just get immediately nasty again? I've been going here so long that I don't really know if this is normal or not.

I generally don't care about gym cleanliness a lot but when they start to get sticky and wiping them doesn't work and comes up with brown stains, I think maybe it's time to start bitchin.. Thoughts?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I use a stiff nylon brush on mine, to clean up the chalk and hand oils. Works pretty good, only about $2 at Home Depot or wherever.

If it's really bad, I use a rag with WD 40 to wipe it down. Also put a little Liquid Wrench in the sleeves on occasion to keep them spinning, but honestly not sure if that what's best to use or not.

Edit: a 3-in-1 oil is apparently better for the sleeves.

Last edited:

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I use rejuvenal disinfectant on all our bars at least twice a week and take the wire brush town to remove chalk and any grime.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I use a stiff nylon brush on mine, to clean up the chalk and hand oils. Works pretty good, only about $2 at Home Depot or wherever.

If it's really bad, I use a rag with WD 40 to wipe it down. Also put a little Liquid Wrench in the sleeves on occasion to keep them spinning, but honestly not sure if that what's best to use or not.

Edit: a 3-in-1 oil is apparently better for the sleeves.

Motor oil on anything you aren't going to eat with or on and mineral oil on the rest.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
PL use a wire brush but that's just to get the chalk out of the knurl to give you a better marriage between your hands and the bar. As for the nasties you can't see, just use a liquid hand sanitizer before and after the gym.

Grizzly911

Elite
Reaction score
My current company gym doesn't ever clean their iron and the barbells and some of the dumbells are pretty nasty where gripped. I want to suggest some easy way for them to clean up the rust, skin and dirt and shit off.. Any suggestions?
Also, is it even worth doing this or will they just get immediately nasty again? I've been going here so long that I don't really know if this is normal or not.

I generally don't care about gym cleanliness a lot but when they start to get sticky and wiping them doesn't work and comes up with brown stains, I think maybe it's time to start bitchin.. Thoughts?

Here are some tips on how to clean a barbell, below. Works for some dumbbells too and maybe some plates.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/articles/how-to-clean-and-de-rust-a-barbell/

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
I'm going to have to take a picture of this shite..it's a chalk free gym so it's straight skin sweat and rust

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I'm going to have to take a picture of this shite..it's a chalk free gym so it's straight skin sweat and rust

Sounding more and more like finding a new gym might be a good option. Or no?

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Ask the gym manager if the hepatitis is free or do you pay extra for that. I lift at a home gym so at least any nasties are mine. Little rust is ok, but I’m with you if they are sticky , that’s nasty! Good luck and whatever you do don’t become a glove guy, lol!!!

Mythos

Elite
Reaction score
Sounding more and more like finding a new gym might be a good option. Or no?

Ehhh it's basically free because it's a company gym. it's basically just unmanned.. I'd start taking care of the stuff myself if I had time.

Utm18

Reaction score
Use gym provided cleaner

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
There are different ways to clean rust off of bars. Understand that anything with metal bristles is going to wear some of the knurling. I would recommend other types of brushes for cleaning chalk out of knurling. You can soak towels in vinegar and wrap the bar to break down the rust but it is a messy and time consuming process. Also, no matter what you do to remove rust you will need to wipe the entire bar in an oil periodically to prevent rusting, as stated above.
Also, any coated bar like black oxide or even stainless can be damaged by the above mentioned means so know what kind of bar you are working on. You can post pics if you want ID help.

Here is a repost of an old york bar I cleaned.
1d1df6e4986bc54d559e23c9dec60888.jpg

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
i carry disinfectant wipes in my bag and clean stuff before i use it and again when done... many nasty fukkers that dont though!

Adrenolin

Bad Daddy
Reaction score
No, never in the last 15yrs... never even crossed my mind. Lol I'm not a pansy over a little dirt and grime

nissan11

Elite
Reaction score
Sweat gets between the chalk and metal and rusts it if not cleaned periodically. But if you just have a cheap chrome plated bar I would not worry about cleaning it either.

New Threads