Pinched nerve

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
I hurt my bicep about a week ago at the gym doing side laterals. Initially it felt like a strain in the bicep. Rested a week and it felt fine. Today the pain is now my forearm and in between the thumb and index finger, my bicep feels a little tight but not painful. I am having a lot of weakness in my hand (not able to squeeze hard) and some numbness and tingling in my hand. Almost as if it is “asleep” But not as severe.

thinking maybe a pinched nerve, I know nobody here can diagnose it. Luckily I need to follow up with my orthopedic doctor when my MRI results come back of my pec injury. which should be soon so I will be able to bring it up to him.

in the meantime just reaching out to y’all and seeing if anybody may have experienced this.

Looks like my lifting is going to have to slow down for a bit. Leg day and running it is lol

Last edited:

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
sounds like golfer's elbow.
man i have had the same nagging issue in both but mainly my left forearm/bicep for quite some time, so i know what ur talking about, it can be debilitating and ruin a workout.
strange that it happened during side laterals, prob from pressing but just finally flamed up on the lateral raises.
i finally narrowed mine down to actually my shit shoulder mobility and how my arms position under the bar during squats, mainly the heavier sets would set it off, then following day would always be chest day and the pressing would have me fukkin dying.
what ive done thats helped the most, although it's still there very slightly was to go back to 1 barbell squat day from 2/week, then switch the day after squats from chest to delts. I wear elbow sleeves on the heavier pressing sets as always so that hasn't changed. Also, hanging before, during and after squats. Thoroughly warming up triceps/elbow before any pressing.
it's not something that will be corrected overnight, gotta work through it, just be proactive.
best of luck texan

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
sounds like golfer's elbow.
man i have had the same nagging issue in both but mainly my left forearm/bicep for quite some time, so i know what ur talking about, it can be debilitating and ruin a workout.
strange that it happened during side laterals, prob from pressing but just finally flamed up on the lateral raises.
i finally narrowed mine down to actually my shit shoulder mobility and how my arms position under the bar during squats, mainly the heavier sets would set it off, then following day would always be chest day and the pressing would have me fukkin dying.
what ive done thats helped the most, although it's still there very slightly was to go back to 1 barbell squat day from 2/week, then switch the day after squats from chest to delts. I wear elbow sleeves on the heavier pressing sets as always so that hasn't changed. Also, hanging before, during and after squats. Thoroughly warming up triceps/elbow before any pressing.
it's not something that will be corrected overnight, gotta work through it, just be proactive.
best of luck texan

thanks man, you’re probably right because I did do heavy barbell presses before the side Laterals.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
thanks man, you’re probably right because I did do heavy barbell presses before the side Laterals.

most people dont realize how much triceps are involved in overhead pressing. warm them suckers up real good and pyramid up the weight on the pressing. i think having shit shoulder mobilty really is the main issue tho, hanging helps a lot for me.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I have had several pinched nerves or compressed nerves over the years. If it is a pinched nerve what has worked for me is, light stretching, heating pad and taking Aleve 2x a day with food. If you have s sensitive stomach skip the aleve. These are what my ortho suggested and helped me get back to full throttle quicker. Best to you brother

New Threads