When Usyk sparred Wladimir

Long

Elite
Reaction score
https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/n...usyk-sparred-klitschko-for-one-round-20181031

"I had no idea, but I know there was something special about him. He did one round with Wladimir, and Wladimir slung him out and said, 'get out, not while the press is here.'

"He was making it hard for Wladimir. He was like bossing Wladimir. 'Get him out. Get somebody else in.'"

That was when Usyk was 9 fights into the Cruiserweight division. The guy is no joke.

I was reading earlier a pretty good article but I can not find it. It was talking about how the promotion might try and have Joshua skip the mandatory with Usyk. That way another belt is up for grabs and Usyk could them face Joshua in a fight with a bigger draw.

White has named who he wants to face while he waits for his mandatory and Usyk isn't on the short list😂 but Ruiz is.

It could get interesting, frankly I want to see Joshua v Usyk.

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
I want to see Usyk vs. ANYbody again so I can review and maybe refine my assessment. His only fight with a big boy was against a faded Witherspoon on short notice, who was never that good in his prime. Usyk showed me skills and stuff other HWTs don't do; I have no doubt he can beat many bigger men, just not convinced he can beat all of them yet. I might be later, just not convinced till I see him with 1 or 2 who are better than Chaz.

I would pick the fatterRuiz over the fat Whyte we just saw anyday ... jeez, Boxing is their job, do these guys want it or not?

That possible scheme you describe with AJ skipping Usyk now to gain a bigger gate unification fight with him later reminds me of what Oscar and Canelo (might) have in mind for GGG later @160 or as high a catch weight as they think GGG would agree to ... Canelo refused Dervy, Dervy+GGG fought for the vacancy, GGG (barely) won, Canelo gets an eventual big bucks trilogy when he has let GGG age even more, a win-win for him and Oscar.

Long

Elite
Reaction score
I want to see Usyk vs. ANYbody again so I can review and maybe refine my assessment. His only fight with a big boy was against a faded Witherspoon on short notice, who was never that good in his prime. Usyk showed me skills and stuff other HWTs don't do; I have no doubt he can beat many bigger men, just not convinced he can beat all of them yet. I might be later, just not convinced till I see him with 1 or 2 who are better than Chaz.

I would pick the fatterRuiz over the fat Whyte we just saw anyday ... jeez, Boxing is their job, do these guys want it or not?

That possible scheme you describe with AJ skipping Usyk now to gain a bigger gate unification fight with him later reminds me of what Oscar and Canelo (might) have in mind for GGG later @160 or as high a catch weight as they think GGG would agree to ... Canelo refused Dervy, Dervy+GGG fought for the vacancy, GGG (barely) won, Canelo gets an eventual big bucks trilogy when he has let GGG age even more, a win-win for him and Oscar.

I think with Usyk lots of people underestimate the level of talent in the cruiserweight division he was in.

Lots of people think Joshua is faster and has better technical skills. I don't see that. I see a more talented more calculated fighter in Usyk that doesn't get rattled and can adjust fire all on his own. He sees it in real time.

Usyk gets called out for a lack of power as well. The first 4 or 5 fights I watched of his I thought te same thing. I even kind of felt he was not a natural puncher. After watching him a bit more I stopped thinking that. He is just very, very technical. He holds power back. He doesn't expose himself. He puts it on when it is advantageous to him, and puts it away when it is not or could be dangerous.

He is one cold calculating mo fo and I think he has the ability to take it all.

Time will tell.

As far as Whyte. I was a fan. I think he has skills. He was also cheating crazy big time and now everything he did was suspect.

Ruiz is going to be hungry in his next fight.
White is a mandatory looking for an "easy" payday.
I would go with Whyte, but wouldn't be shocked if Ruiz knocked him out. Ruiz is a natural puncher. He would have power at 174, ironically that is probably what he would come in at without the fat.

Last edited:

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Boxing, but still sorta off topic: Wlad seems to have bonded with AJ a bit, but he and Usyk are or were fellow Ukranians. Wondering how that will play out as a possible AJ-Usyk clash develops. Also wondering about ol' Vitali, who was always my favorite Klitschko. The political part of the news tells us Ukraine has been a center of corruption that attracts some big players from the West looking to leverage that to their advantage, while simultaneously being a sympathetic victim of Soviet aggression. Vitali has been very visibly involved in politics in various roles there since 2004, I remember he was anti-Soviet, but I wonder how he has navigated a complicated and often corrupt choice of post-Boxing career.

Reaction score
I want to see Joshua v Usyk.

You will))
[FONT=&quot]President WBO Francisco Varcarcel says in Twitter: mandatory bidder from WBO - Alexander Usyk. The fight vs Joshua must take place within 180 days[/FONT]

Reaction score
Usyk has one of the best techniques I’ve seen, i would like to see him fight joshua

New Threads