I need a new program

Reaction score
so i want to make a new program for myself to get bigger
I'm not strong at all and don't know anything about powerlifting
so rountine, length time, and advice on form and little tips don't wan't hurt myself.

Reactions: Jin

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Tell us what you WERE doing the last few months or so. As specific as you can be.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
You would be better served asking one question and focusing on it. What you're asking would require someone to numerous years of diet and training into one post.

Is PLing your interest? If so, we have guys here that have done that and can help.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I would recommend you look into a good beginners strength program that will also put some size on you where you'll also be able to adapt to important compound movements. The 5x5 would be a good start

andy

Elite
Reaction score
not a powerlifter but sure u will get the info needed. good luck.

Reaction score
thanks i appriciate it my current workout plan is
mon, -upperbody i first go back,sholder,chest,bicep,tricep all 4 sets 12-15 reps 10 second brake in between
tues-rest
weds-lower i first go calfs,hamstring,quads,inner and outer thigh my last workout is squats 4 sets of 20
thurs-rest
fri-upper
sat-rest
sun-lower
i use light weights if you need any more info just ask

Reaction score
i want to try something new and more challenging. As of right now i"m not interested doing competitions but who knows i might really like it. If you know anyone i would appreciate

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Take a look at Starting Strength, or Wendlers 5-3-1 programs. Or even something like this, Lyle McDonald's generic bulking program....

Mon: Lower
Squat: 3-4X6-8/3′ (3-4 sets of 6-8 with a 3′ rest)
SLDL or leg curl: 3-4X6-8/3′
Leg press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Another leg curl: 2-3X10-12/2′
Calf raise: 3-4X6-8/3′
Seated calf: 2-3X10-12/2′

Tue: Upper
Flat bench: 3-4X6-8/3′
Row: 3-4X6-8/3′
Incline bench or shoulder press: 2-3X10-12/2′
Pulldown/chin: 2-3X10-12/2′
Triceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′
Biceps: 1-2X12-15/1.5′

For the Thu/Fri workouts either repeat the first two or make some slight exercise substitutions. Can do deadlift/leg press combo on Thu, switch incline/pulldown to first exercises on upper body day. A lot depends on volume tolerance, if the above is too much, go to 2-3X6-8 and 1-2X10-12

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Theres a technique to lifting weights..It would be a good idea to lift with someone with more experience or hire a trainer to show u proper technique

Reactions: CJ

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
10 seconds rest in between sets + light weighs isn’t going to get you the size you are looking for.

Increase the weights
increase the rest time
increase your calories.

Just doing this will make a huge difference. Your biggest focus should be on eating. Pick up that fork and don’t put it down!

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
10 seconds rest in between sets + light weighs isn’t going to get you the size you are looking for.

Increase the weights
increase the rest time
increase your calories.

Just doing this will make a huge difference. Your biggest focus should be on eating. Pick up that fork and don’t put it down!
^^^^^ i approve jins message! Go heavier and eat more.

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
If your goal is hypertrophy i wouldnt be doing a powerlifting program but thats just me. On the lifting vault website theres a few different power building programs available.

automatondan

Elite
Reaction score
Complaining you are not strong and then saying you only use light weights..... I think we found your problem.

Are you doing any compound lifts? Like barbell freeweight squats? Upright rows? Deadlifts? Overhead presses? You won’t get truly strong without compound lifts. Also, you need to eat in a surplus and not be afraid of gaining a little fat as you progress. You are not going to get strong doing isolated bodybuilding machines.

So there’s your answer. Focus on strength if you want to get stronger and do the things that make you stronger.

EDIT: I would highly recommend you find a local powerlifting coach and hire them to get you in comfortable place with form and programming. If you truly don’t have any idea how to do the compound lifts listed above, it’s going to be hard to move forward without a coach. You can post videos here and we can help, but nothing will be more helpful for you than hiring a good coach.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
If your goal is hypertrophy i wouldnt be doing a powerlifting program but thats just me. On the lifting vault website theres a few different power building programs available.

Nothing wrong with a powerlifting program to build a base. Mind-muscle connection & technique in the big compound lifts should be a priority.

Eating is king for OP.

When I say rest between sets I mean 3+ minutes in between compound lifts.

Find somebody to teach you or watch some Allan Thrall videos on squat, deadlift and bench technique for beginners.

IMO isolation work on arms, calves etc is a waste of time at this point.

My two cents.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Is PLing your interest? If so, we have guys here that have done that and can help.

I would be more than happy to help but I'm not sure you answered this. Did I miss something? Sounds like you're leaning toward it.

Last edited:

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a powerlifting program to build a base. Mind-muscle connection & technique in the big compound lifts should be a priority.

Eating is king for OP.

When I say rest between sets I mean 3+ minutes in between compound lifts.

Find somebody to teach you or watch some Allan Thrall videos on squat, deadlift and bench technique for beginners.

IMO isolation work on arms, calves etc is a waste of time at this point.

My two cents.

I dont know if OP's 1st language is English so I'm not too sure if his goals. He talks getting bigger and says powerlifting and also mentions strength. So definitely sounds like powerlifting ultimately. But anyone wanting to get big with aesthetics I'd recommend going body building training. Just my opinion

Reaction score
My first language is english sorry if my post didn't make sense.
PL isn't my goal, my goal is to compete in bodybuilding.
I want a CLASSIC physique like Serge Nubret.
If there is a better way to get to my goal then i want to do that, i just don't know how

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If there is a better way to get to my goal then i want to do that, i just don't know how

Don't worry 'shaping' a physique at this point. Eat a bunch of quality food, train intelligently with exercises that'll put on the most mass, like Rows, Pullups, Vert+Horz Presses, Squats, Leg Presses, get your sleep in, and get your lifestyle in order.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

At your age, you could get away with doing each body part twice a week.

Monday
Squats- 5 sets, reps 6-8
Standing Calf- 5 sets, reps 15
Seated Calf- 3 sets, 30 reps

Tuesday
Flat bench- 5 sets, 6-10 reps
Military presses- 4 sets, 12 reps
Shrugs- 3 sets- 20 reps

Wednesday
Deadlifts- 4 sets- 6-8 reps
Lower cable rows- 4 sets, 10-15 reps
Lat Pull Downs- 4 sets, 8-12 reps
Situps or crunches
Standing Calf- 3 sets, reps 15
Seated Calf- 3 sets, 30 reps

Thursday
Leg Presses- 5 set, 10-12 reps
Leg extensions-3 sets, 12-15 reps
Leg curls-3 sets, 12-15 reps

Friday
Incline bench 4 set, 10-12 reps
Decline or cable cross overs- 3 sets- 10-15 reps
Tri push downs 4 set, 10-12 reps

Saturday
Lat pull downs- 5 sets, 12-15 reps
Lower cable rows- 5 sets, 15-18 reps
Standing BB curls- 3 sets, 8-10 reps
DB Curls- 3 sets 15 reps

Sunday is the day of rest

You can add in a little cardio but it has to be light and not the day before, the day of or the day after squats. This is basic but you may in time end of over training so you need to take a week off after 4 months. Also rest time, you're not touching anything for 3-4 min. and best to give it 5-6 min. for your last heavy one.

It's a start.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don’t waste time over thinking it. Eat. A lot. Go to the gym. A lot. Pick up as much weight as you can for 8-10 reps. Do major lifts, squats, dead’s, chest press, do accessory work. Rest longer than 10 seconds. Shit your workout must only be 20 mins long or so.

Get the ball rolling and adjust as you go. I see guys in the gym so focused on writing down every lift, weight used. They time their rest periods. And 2 years later they look exactly the same if not worse. Concentrate on the big hitters, eating and picking up weights. Tweak as you go and it’ll all fall in line.

New Threads