Brain Hemorrhage

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
My step dad (who I consider my dad) had a major one last week. Thanks to quick response EMT’s, he got to Emory hospital very quickly and survived. They have been draining blood/spinal fluid and his brain has minor swelling. He has been mostly unconscious but he occasionally wakes up for an hour or so and, although it is hard to hear what he is saying, he does seem to be himself.

He had a smaller one a few years back and his neurologist couldnt find the cause but at Emory (doing the same tests) they found immediately that he has a birth defect which causes higher pressure in some cranial capillaries. He will need a surgery going forward to correct this and Id bet there will be a lawsuit againt his previous neuro.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing with a loved one? Recovery? Outcomes? Etc?

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
No brother. I am sorry to hear this and I hope it is able to be fixed and he recovers.
Best to him and your family

silvereyes87

Elite
Reaction score
I'm really sorry to hear this man. I hope he has a full recovery. I'm sorry I cant offer much but good vibes

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
wow, glad he's ok and they found the issue brother.

Jada

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear this my brother, I dont pray as much as I should but tonight I will pray for him . God bless

CptFKNplanet

Elite
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear this.

I don't have personal experience with a family member / loved one... However, I am an EMT for the county 911 service and what I can offer, is that most people recover from strokes but a full recovery back to baseline is not as likely from what I have seen. Some of the deficits he received (facial droop, slurred speech, weakness, etc.) will most likely stay around. It sounds like the one he had a few years back was a TIA, or "mini-stroke" as we call them. Just because his previous neuro missed the cause isn't necessarily grounds for a lawsuit. Doctors misdiagnose all the time. Not every hospital is as well equipped as the other and not every day shift doc has seen the same cases as the night shift doc. A lot of times, different diseases have the same signs and symptoms so it is easy to confuse one for another. A quick search on WebMD will prove that.

All of that being said, take that information with a grain of salt. I am not a doctor, just an EMT. The neurologist will be able to give you a much greater explanation. As cliche as it may sound, and it know it's not much consolation, for now try to just be grateful he is still alive and don't hold blame against someone else for their mistake.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this man. I'll pray for him. Hope for a full recovery!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Glad he survived and got execrllent care. He’s lucky to have a son like you. Sorry you have to go through this.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. My experience with this particular issue involves my first wife who had an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) which was literally where her right frontal lobe would have been. Oddly, it was speculated that the "treatment" from the gamma knife is what caused her neurological issue which was similar to ALS versus the AVM. The crappy thing is the further I get in life, the more I realize how little medical professionals actually know about the human body.

Here's hoping everything goes well for your stepfather and I wish you luck with the lawsuit. In retrospect, I wish I had sued a few neurologists into poverty to satisfy my revenge side.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this. My experience with this particular issue involves my first wife who had an arteriovenous malformation (AVM) which was literally where her right frontal lobe would have been. Oddly, it was speculated that the "treatment" from the gamma knife is what caused her neurological issue which was similar to ALS versus the AVM. The crappy thing is the further I get in life, the more I realize how little medical professionals actually know about the human body.

Here's hoping everything goes well for your stepfather and I wish you luck with the lawsuit. In retrospect, I wish I had sued a few neurologists into poverty to satisfy my revenge side.
That’s what he has. (AVM).

I know nothing about it really. Im getting all this third hand from my mother who is a wreck and has no real biological knowledge.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yer a good son looking after him. My wishes fer a speedy and full recovery.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
That’s what he has. (AVM).

I know nothing about it really. Im getting all this third hand from my mother who is a wreck and has no real biological knowledge.

I do recall one of the neurologists telling me that AVMs are more common than most would think. It is just that some are so small, that the people with them live normal lives and usually have no symptoms from the AVM itself. The ones with issues usually are the individuals with malformed blood vessels where arteries and veins end up dumping blood into each other, hence the bleeding. Granted, this was all told to me by a neurologist, and this was nearly 20 years ago, so my information may not be up to date.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I do recall one of the neurologists telling me that AVMs are more common than most would think. It is just that some are so small, that the people with them live normal lives and usually have no symptoms from the AVM itself. The ones with issues usually are the individuals with malformed blood vessels where arteries and veins end up dumping blood into each other, hence the bleeding. Granted, this was all told to me by a neurologist, and this was nearly 20 years ago, so my information may not be up to date.

Thats what he has

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers my man. Glad he’s still with us.keep us posted. This is exactly why we’re here for each other. He’ll be in my prayers. You can count on it!

New Threads