Why did you choose your current program/methods?

Raider

Elite
Reaction score
I pretty much have my own program. I’ve been at this a long time and pretty much know what works for me and what doesn’t. I’m always open to new ideas and try switch things up. I keep my staples , but bounce around to stimulate muscle and keep things interesting and sometimes I “ just do what don’t hurt” ! ( gettin old) , lol!!

Metalhead1

Elite
Reaction score
Conjugate for me. I have a basic layout of what I need to do on a daily basis, but I will change little things here and there to go along with what I need or feel.

Biggest difference I've seen from using this style again is addressing my own weaknesses. Additional small workouts are added to address these.

Also, sled drags. Along with the cardio aspect, they've helped strengthen my lower body, and recovery tremendously.

notsoswoleCPA

Reaction score
I ran a modified 5/3/1 program for the past year that my stepfather developed for me based on my goals of strength. I just turned 47, so I think I am going to start backing off on the strength routine and just go for lower weight and more reps. Sadly, this is not by choice but a function of me listening to my body due to joint and tendon issues that don't seem to want to go away.

This year, I want to burn some fat without losing too much muscle size. Hopefully my thyroid medication can get redialed in again to allow the fat burning part to happen. When NDT stopped working last year, it took roughly nine months to figure out what was going wrong.

As for the modified 5/3/1.... It was basically the 5/3/1 with my barbell exercise, then three to five different accessory lift exercises in the 8 to 15 rep range. I actually developed some decent shoulders whereas before everything else seemed to develop except my shoulders...

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Those are someone else's program/training philosophy, I use my own.

I was trying to constrain it a bit. Didn’t want thirty pages of comparing various bro splits...

It’s mildly interesting that many people put what program they ran (or their own) but didn’t necessarily say why they picked that over other options.

I’m sure a lot of them tends to be what we like, not necessarily what we’ve systematically learned works for us. (Some vets excluded) Random pondering...

Last edited:

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
After i lost a lot of weight and wanted to put on muscle to help with loose skin issues i looked into several programs and choose 5-3-1 to start with. I did it for quite a while and had great results with it. I still go back to it often. It can be boring but i got great results with it.

lev

Reaction score
I train DC for two reasons: It's what I know has worked well for me and I love the intensity. I got onboard back in the day when Dante Trudel was posting on Muscle Mayhem and Intense Muscle. Started training heavy again last year (after getting into road bike cycling for several years) and have been working my way back to being able to handle the intensity. Just had my first "proper" DC session yesterday and it went really well. I'm curious to see what adaptations (if any) might be required for my now 50-year-old body.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
It has all come together over decades of training hard in strength sports. Finding what works best for me and getting rid of what didn’t. Today’s programming is going in the right direction, even with several non weightlifting injuries.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
One day as week devoted to the 'Big 4', and I fill in the blanks as per supplemental / iso work. At my age, I'm looking for longevity like Seek, not looking to set a PR in each session. I still push it, and me intensity is still high, but I stay within meself most days. Build / keep me strength, keep me joints in good stead, stay lean. Be able to go 3 rounds when you need to.