Sodium intake? Let's 'ave it

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
Hey fellow UG members, I was originally going to pop this in chat box, however thought this would be useful in the long run.

I'm currently bulking and eating 4200 calories a day. On a regular day my stats are as follows;

205-225g protein
550-570g carbs
115g fat
2200mg sodium.

I'm experiencing muscle cramps/twitches quite often when tensing/stretching or lifting. I'm wondering if this is due to my sodium consumption. I'm drinking roughly 3-4litres a day of water.

So back to the point of this thread; how much sodium/salt do you guys have a day? Please post your;

Calories, protein, carbs, fat and sodium

I'm bodybuilding and I follow a very clean diet; so It would be interesting to be able to compare bodybuilders to powerlifters when it comes to these macros.

Good day to ya'll

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Don't track sodium, I get plenty though. I even add salt to my intra workout shake. I sweat a decent amount, so much is lost that way, need to replenish it.

2200 mgs/day would be almost impossibly low for me to hit. Not all foods list their sodium content, so I don't truly know how much I get anyway. Especially whole foods, if you're tracking on an app like MFP. Good luck getting an accurate count.

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
Don't track sodium, I get plenty though. I even add salt to my intra workout shake. I sweat a decent amount, so much is lost that way, need to replenish it.

2200 mgs/day would be almost impossibly low for me to hit. Not all foods list their sodium content, so I don't truly know how much I get anyway. Especially whole foods, if you're tracking on an app like MFP. Good luck getting an accurate count.

I tend only stick to foods/products that list macros. Things like rice, pasta, potatos, quinoa, oats etc for carbs. Chicken, fish, cheese/eggs for protein and peanuts, oil, cheese again for fats.

I'll have a bunch of other foods, but this is what I've consumed recently lmao so that's all I can think to list. I use MFP but I input all the calories and macros into it. The amount of bullshit you see in that app from other users really amazes me.

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
More sodium may help your cramps.

Agreed. I tend to bloat when consuming a lot of sodium a day which is why I keep it moderately low. I'll up it to 2800 a day and see where that takes me for now.

bigdog

Elite
Reaction score
I don't track it but I know it's well over 2200. Lower sodium and not drinking enough water will get me cramping like a mofo too

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
I take in more then I need. I think in a normal health person, sodium is blamed for too many problems. Just my observation.

As for the cramps, especially night cramps, look into pineapple. Let me know how ya make out.

CptFKNplanet

Elite
Reaction score
3500ish calories and 2355mg of sodium according to MFP. That's not even close to accurate though. I use a lot of Tapatio and add salt to most things when cooking. I also drink ~1 gallon of water and pee every 10 seconds... and I sweat enough to probably be diagnosed with hyperhidrosis.

Spongy

Senior Moderator
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Agreed. I tend to bloat when consuming a lot of sodium a day which is why I keep it moderately low. I'll up it to 2800 a day and see where that takes me for now.

Who cares if you bloat? I dont track sodium unless I'm in the final weeks of contest prep.

I'm trying to gain quality muscle in the offseason and with that comes bloat.

I walk around like the ****ing michelin man in offseason but come in drier than hell for the show. You can eliminate. lost so easily if you need to. These asshats on instagram walking around peeled all year long are on some seriously harsh compounds nonstop. Watch what happens in the next decade in terms of health.

Bottom line, no successful coach is cutting out sodium in the offseason. If your concerned about a photo shoot or beach vacation just do a quick 2 week prep and the bloat is gone.

CptFKNplanet

Elite
Reaction score
That's a lot of pee to drink. :32 (20):

Dp-1fYgWsAAOoGD.jpg

j2048b

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
i tend to stick with sodium additives that are iodine type, helps the thyroid as well especially if ur dieting etc.... pink salt or good ol white salt with iodine in it and it helps me mood a tad bit as well, prolly why ive been a pita lately.... not enough iodine.... if i take it and then dont for a few days i get very irritable etc....

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
I take in more then I need. I think in a normal health person, sodium is blamed for too many problems. Just my observation.

As for the cramps, especially night cramps, look into pineapple. Let me know how ya make out.

Interesting. I will trial this!

TheSpectre

Reaction score
Sufficient potassium rids the body of excess sodium. Simple biology 101. Most Americans get far too much sodium and not quite enough potassium. Magnesium is the larger problem, though. 50 to %60 of the US population is deficient in it.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Sufficient potassium rids the body of excess sodium. Simple biology 101. Most Americans get far too much sodium and not quite enough potassium. Magnesium is the larger problem, though. 50 to %60 of the US population is deficient in it.

Thank you. I was coming in to post about the importance of maintaining balance with electrolytes to help prevent cramping.

CTT, you've got some good advice just don't min/max your electrolytes. Question; are you on any medications beside gear? I ask because certain ones, like the Valsartan I'm on has warnings about it creating an imbalance.

Last edited:

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I add sodium when bulking. Its like a test, dbol, deca and sodium cycle...shit

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
I get very bad leg cramps. Calves quads hamstrings especially at night while sleeping. To the point where its I can't even breathe it hurt so bad.

Did some research and found magnesium and zinc play big roles in muscle cramps. Starting taking magnesium and zinc supplements and my leg cramps have definitely gone down.

Also water... lots of water. I think Jin said here once if you wanna lose water weight... drink a shit ton of water.

New Threads