90’s bbers vs Now- Vic Martinez

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Asked why the 90’s were better, he says because they didn’t have to get their drugs from UGLs. Thoughts?

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
They were into much tougher training and had way more discipline for cardio and contest prep. There are really good drugs out there for all these guys still

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
My thoughts as well. Not to mention the excessive insulin/GH usage that is believed to give them a softer/smoother look.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What happened to the great 80s? Lol he skipped that time. Those were some great days too. Ugl's did start popping up in 90s. Not nearly as much as the last 20 years , but there was. Good to see you around, Milo!

Milo

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
What happened to the great 80s? Lol he skipped that time. Those were some great days too. Ugl's did start popping up in 90s. Not nearly as much as the last 20 years , but there was. Good to see you around, Milo!
You as well!
Yeah the 80’s were sick as well. There’s just something about the 90’s... hell maybe the factor is the pedigree of competitors. Any of y’all into bodybuilding back in the 90s? How was the popularity compared to today? Maybe if it was way more popular back then, we just had more people competing and as a result we got better competitors in terms of genetics.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I think each era looks great in thier own way and nobody should be comparing which is better.
for sure the bodybuilders are a lot bigger/heavier these days, some sacrifice that crispy conditioning chasing the size game but not all.
to milos last comment, a lot of the old bodybuilding shows I've seen were televised I noticed, so it mustve been more main stream at one point.
trips me out you can flick through 100s of channels and they play everything from little league baseball to dodgeball to fukkin rc car racing yet not one network has picked up bodybuilding, not even the big shows like the Arnold or Olympia.
I bet the Rock's Athleticon will be aired on some network this year. Maybe that'll open the door back up. Would be cool if someone aired at least the Olympia qualifier shows.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Social media has definitely helped it explode into another level of popularity. Plus there are more classes now too Like that physique stuff. Lol. Also, there are literally competitions practically every other week now.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
both Ronnie and Dorian were pretty critical when asked how todays bodybuilders would stack up to thier era, Flex I think answered the question a lot better here.

Tinbeater36

Reaction score
I think each era looks great in thier own way and nobody should be comparing which is better.
for sure the bodybuilders are a lot bigger/heavier these days, some sacrifice that crispy conditioning chasing the size game but not all.
to milos last comment, a lot of the old bodybuilding shows I've seen were televised I noticed, so it mustve been more main stream at one point.
trips me out you can flick through 100s of channels and they play everything from little league baseball to dodgeball to fukkin rc car racing yet not one network has picked up bodybuilding, not even the big shows like the Arnold or Olympia.
I bet the Rock's Athleticon will be aired on some network this year. Maybe that'll open the door back up. Would be cool if someone aired at least the Olympia qualifier shows.

You would think with all the streaming services someone would work something out. I know YouTube live streamed the Strongman Santa Monica qualifier for the Arnold Pro last weekend. Granted its not bodybuilding but it was a fairly high quality production. You would think someone would step in and pick up at least the big BB shows. Maybe the revenue they get from PPV is higher than what streaming services are willing to pay??? IDK.

Rhino99

Elite
Reaction score
Guys went from aesthetic in the 70's and 80's to looking like giant piles of dogsh1t in the 90's.
They tried to get as big and heavy as they could and sacrificed the way they looked.

Give me an 80's physique over a 90's one any day of the week.

Reaction score
Its evolution. There's more available today than there was in the 90s, 80s, 70s. The reality is that if Arnold and company had access in the 70s to the drugs/chemicals that's available today, they'd have used them too.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
I think it comes down to judging criteria.

90s:
calves were judged
posing routines we’re judged
symmetry then conditioning

2000+
size then conditioning.

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
I think it comes down to judging criteria.

90s:
calves were judged
posing routines we’re judged
symmetry then conditioning

2000+
size then conditioning.

not true as of lately, or Roelly and Ramy would be winning Olympias.

CantTouchThis

Reaction score
I prefer the late 80's/90's. I think it was almost a perfect balance between size and codlnditioning. Looking huge but also looking grainy was the most aesthetically pleasing thing.

In particular I favour Samir Bannout. His 1983 win and posing was amazing and his back was something else.

Screenshot_20200125-133215_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200125-133229_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: CJ

New Threads