Changing My Life & Grand Plans For The Future

Reaction score
Hi,

I am in my early twenties and a relative beginner who has only been going to the gym for a few months. I am an average weight for my height/age - 73kg and 181cm.

I know many of you here are very experienced and knowledgeable with a lot of wisdom regarding gym-going, so I would really very much appreciate it if you could have a look at my goals & plan and make any comments or suggestions.

GOALS:

I'm not aiming to be a bodybuilder, I just want to have some decent visible muscle on my upper body and flatten out my belly/abs. Think more Brad Pitt in Fight Club as opposed to The Rock.

I can only commit 2-days-per-week to the gym (usually Monday and Friday). I know this isn't ideal, but it's the reality of my schedule.

I know this may take a lot longer to get to my ideal physique, but I'm willing to play the long game and hopefully keep it at that level throughout my life.

I will also go a run 1-day-per-week for cardio, and I go regular walks, and hiking in the mountains on average once a month.

CURRENT WORKOUT ROUTINE:

I do this same workout every time I go to the gym. This is the correct order in which I do it.

I know I would be better changing it up completely every so often, but I find it very difficult to learn full new workouts/routines/form etc. Ideally I'd like to keep as much the same as possible.

1.) Abs: All of this TWICE [25 crunches, 15 sit ups, 30 raised leg crunches, 30 crunches with leg extension, 44 alternating heel touches, 50 scissor kicks (criss cross), 50 scissor kicks (up & down), 30 russian twists with 9kg kettlebell, 44 mountain climbers, 44 mountain climbers (2nd time)]
2.) 3 x 15 [30kg] Barbell Squats
3.) 2 x 10 Assisted Pull Ups (20kg counterweight on machine so bodyweight minus 20kg [approx 53kg lifed])
4.) 2 x 10 Assisted Dips (20kg counterweight on machine so bodyweight minus 20kg [approx 53kg lifted]) (I try to focus more on tricep dips)
5.) 2 x 10 Assisted Chin Ups (20kg counterweight on machine so bodyweight minus 20kg [approx 53kg lifted])
6.) 2 x 10 [12kg per dumbbell] Standing Dumbbell Shoulder Press/Military Press
7.) 2 x 10 [12kg per dumbbell] Standing Dumbbell Curls
8.) 2 x 10 [16kg per dumbbell] Dumbbell Bench Press
9.) 2 x 10 [Approx 28kg] Cable/Rope Tricep Extension/Tricep Pushdown
10.) Abs: 60seconds front plank, 30 seconds side plank (right), 30 seconds side plank (left)

DIET:

Immediately after each gym workout I eat approximately 35g protein (in 130g chicken with 4 slices of wholegrain bread sandwiches), a 15g protein protein bar, and an apple.

Every morning for breakfast I have 2 Weetabix with some muesli, branflakes, a banana and about 30g mixed nuts.

The rest of the week I don't consume protein products specifically but have a fairly healthy and balanced diet with a mixture of meat, carbs, fruit and vegetables. My diet isn't perfect but is reasonably healthy.

What I am pretty much looking for is literally any suggestions to improve this workout routine (or diet) and achieve my goals as specified above, within the confines of my schedule.

Any comments or suggestions or answers are welcome, no matter how critical, I don't mind. If you think my full plan/strategy is completely wrong then I am happy with this and glad you have told me.

Thank you very much in advance for all your help.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Reaction score
Hahaha, don't get me wrong man, I'd much rather have the physique of The Rock... But I gotta manage my expectations.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Welcome.

Since it's Monday and Friday only, definitely 2 Total Body Days. Something along the lines of :

Squat Movement(ex Squat/Leg Press)-3/4 sets
Hip Hinge Movement(ex RDLs/Hip Exts) -3/4 sets
Horz Press(Bench/Pushups)-3 sets
Horz Pull(BB Row/DB Row)-3 sets
Vert Press(BB Press/DB Press)-3 sets
Vert Pull(Chinup/Pulldown)-3 sets
Tricep Exercise(Dips/Rope Exts)-2/3 sets
Bicep Exercise(BB Curl/DB Curl)-2/3 sets

Stick to big multi joint compound movements, you'll get the most bang for your buck. You need it. No bullshit fluff exercises. I'd do different exercises the 2 days, switching grips/angles also(ex. Chinups on Mon, Pullups on Fri).

Keep in the ab work, before and after, if you want. Don't let it affect your training though, treat it as a warm up/cool down.

Last edited:

CptFKNplanet

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome, communist.

Get that kg and cm shit outta here. We Americans are too stupid to do high level math conversions with numbers like that.

x2 on full body twice per week. Cj's program looks good.

As for your diet I don't know what the **** a Weetabix is. Some kind of communist Poptart knock-off?

What's your total daily calories and macros? Are you currently gaining, maintaining, or losing weight on said calories? AND are you actually measuring and weighing your food or just guessing?

DEADlifter

Elite
Reaction score
That is a good/detailed intro, Syd. As CJ said, compound movements at higher weights will help you to gain strength and muscle. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, at home are you just inundated with tasks? Can you throw in some push-ups or pull-ups on those days?

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
You gotta push yourself harder. Those weights are way too light.

My wife started lifting about a year ago and she is squatting 2x what you do. See this as me motivating you and not shaming you;)

If you only have two days a week then you had better be crawling out of the gym because you’ve left it all on the gym floor.

Your diet should be spot on if you hope to make progress with twice weekly workouts.

Welcome.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Join a crossfit gym and be part of a two day a week group class. You will see some noticeable gains for what you're looking to achieve. The group classes are mostly for beginners to intermediate level enthusiasts.

Joliver

E-Fighter Extraordinaire
Reaction score
If you're only hitting weights twice a week, do full body both days. You don't need a split. Splits are for optimizing limited recovery time. You, however, have plenty of recovery time. 2x full body hits everything twice a week.

Reaction score
Join a crossfit gym and be part of a two day a week group class. You will see some noticeable gains for what you're looking to achieve. The group classes are mostly for beginners to intermediate level enthusiasts.
First time ever I've seen anyone here suggest crossfit. I think I it's a great idea.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
I’m gonna go out on a limb and suggest eating red meat daily. I double dog dare you.

Full body Split as CJ laid out.

Seeker just blew my mind worse than Syd Barrett after Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

N_K

Reaction score
Since you are only able to work out twice a week full body is definitely ideal. On the days that you are able to hit the gym you should always aim for an increase in weight and push your limits (overload) even if your goal isn't to be huge. Welcome to the forum, lots of great info here.

Boogieman

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to the UG, some great suggestions here! Put more weight on the bar, look up a 5X5 strength program. If you can only get in the gym 2 times a week maybe do some body weight stuff at home. Best of luck buddy!!!

Gibsonator

Immovable Object
Reaction score
why is it you can only make it to the gym 2 days a week?
lot of guys here work crazy hours, physically demanding jobs, have families etc and we still get in the gym 5-6 days/week....
if you want it you'll make time for it.
same goes with the diet.

big_wolf_Gang

Reaction score
Can I ask you why only twice/week and cardio once/week? You must be a really busy guy...try to up your routine to Mon/Wed/Fri & uptake your calories. Eat a duck, it's full of good protein****.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Not everyone wants to be a gymrat, not everyone needs to be a daily gymrat to achieve certain fitness goals. my 16 year old son has a schedule to where he can only make it to the gym 2, sometimes, 3 days a week. I do have him doing a full body and when he can get in That 3rd day , I'll have him do a DUT/ cross fit style workout.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
Working out 2 days per week will not do much good for building muscle. If you dedicate 3-4 hours on those days, you might have a better chance but even then, very slim.

You need 3 days per week minimum.

Unless you are an over the road truck driver living in the back cab, you have time to get to the gym more than 2 days per week.

If you are serious about this, find a 3rd day and get some results.

I do agree with Seeker on the Crossfit style workouts if you are only willing to give 2 days per week though.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Easy men, he said what kind of time he can and/or is will to dedicate to the gym with some realistic goals.

My opinion, a full body workout (Monday & Thursday or Tuesday & Friday) Do your compound movements first, Squat then bench then lower cable rows first. Save the curls and ab stuff for last.

I see you have a desire for that 6 pack. Well all that extra ab stuff is not really going to do that much for your abs. Abs are a produce of genetics, diet and training in that order.

2X/wk requires you to crawl out of the gym if you want to see results. As for the cardio, that's what is going to help you get a good beach bod. I think posting a picture would be a good idea.

Gabriel

Reaction score
At that age you can get away with a lot us older guys can't.....That being said,your experience and wisdom might be lacking...So,,,,research and action.......Don't be discouraged if the first few things you try don't yield desired results,,1st you don't succeed try again,again,again................Now for some of my pennies...If I really want something,and I don't know crap about how to get it...........I ask the guys that have exactly what I want.That might not be here...

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'd also recommended checking out videos on proper form of the exercises that you do select. If you're only going to do so few workout sessions, you'd better get as much as you can from them.

Any questions on anything, don't hesitate to ask. Someone here will probably have a great answer for you.

New Threads