Supersets & negatives

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in supersetting.
I usually train alone, sometimes on a tight schedule.
It allows me to get in & out of the gym,& get a nice workout.

Also I do negatives, usually every other week, mostly w chest, which usually has me sore the following day.

Just looking to hear some opinions from others on this????

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
They are great for saving time. I like to alternate antagonist muscle groups for this, with at most a 1:00 rest between. Usually it's just however long the walk is to the other piece of equipment.

I try to keep the eccentric portion of my reps a bit slower than the concentric. Not ridiculously slow, but 100% under control with tension being kept on the muscle.

Also really like holding the isometric contractions for a solid second, especially on back exercises. Holding the stretch on chest exercises is good too. I feel like this helps tremendously.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Reaction score
Supers all the time....negs not so much anymore..

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Negatives are the best way to work around/with injuries.

Also. Just a great technique altogether.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Your right ...just trying to get out before 5pm............Freaking jungle in there..Drop sets are my fav

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Supersets & negatives

It may just be terminology, but in my mind a negative is when you hit positive failure, have a partner help you lift the weight back up, and then lower it. In the absence of that, I just call it controlling the weight.

Tough to do without a partner for chest unless you are on one of those machines with the foot pedal.

Side note: anyone remember the cybernetics 60 day kit that came with a program that required you to go to negative failure? I swear they made they program so hard that that is was impossible to comply with so you wouldn’t call BS on their supplements. 30 lbs in 60 days my a$$!

Last edited:

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Negatives are the best way to work around/with injuries.

Also. Just a great technique altogether.
I have to agree

For me it's my shoulder and knee. I can't get go as heavy so, I am left with playing with TUT and Tempo of the movement with muscle mind connection. Always good workouts.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
It may just be terminology, but in my mind a negative is when you hit positive failure, have a partner help you lift the weight back up, and then lower it. In the absence of that, I just call it controlling the weight.

Tough to do without a partner for chest unless you are on one of those machines with the foot pedal.

Side note: anyone remember the cybernetics 60 day kit that came with a program that required you to go to negative failure? I swear they made they program so hard that that is was impossible to comply with so you wouldn’t call BS on their supplements. 30 lbs in 60 days my a$$!

cybernetics? WWWHAtt? I must be following the wrong I.G pages.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Yeah,DK..that's how Joe Piescipo got so huge..!!

Reaction score
I like both. i find that constant variation is most powerful because the body cant adapt it just grows

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Auto correct: meant cybergenics. One of the first “kits” of supplements. Not on IG. This is back from the 90’s!

Cousin bought it. Stuff made you pee neon green.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Good post man .. thanks for the reminder of ways to mix it up ... last 3 months of 2019 I was mostly a gym no show .. first 6 weeks of this year just getting back in the flow ... my main thing is get to gym 5 times per week ... your post is reminding me showing up is 80% ... but not forget how important it is make the most of every workout (the other 20%) ... like Jin and German (plus just being as old as fvck) ... I have old injuries but they are not excuses ... I still need to bust my arse ... if not with heavy weights ... through solid strategies ...

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
im not a fan of super setting an entire workout, during the "meat and potatoes" portion of my workout where im working with heavy compound movements, I want to be well rested between sets so I can be as focused as possible on the coming set and move as heavy as weight as possible. I just don't think you can do that with super sets. Too much cardiovascular and brain fatigue.

towards the end where im doing more pump work, super sets can be a great tool though.

if I want to make a workout shorter, ill do a lot less volume but add techniques like rest pause, and drop sets, kinda like dc training.

Gabriel

Reaction score
The older we get the smarter we have to train................Getting injuried knocks you right out box...can kill a cycle faster than a burrito with extra guac..!!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I do quite a bit of super sets and drop sets as the workout is moving along. I don’t do negatives. Just not for me and the way I train. To each their own I guess

Gabriel

Reaction score
I kinda forgot about drops.......got to get them back in..Leg press drops are killer

New Threads