Dry fasting? Wtf

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
Just heard on the news a new diet fad is going around called "dry fasting"

People are basically not drinking water or eating for a period of time... wtf no water?

I have done regular fasting before where I just don't eat for a day but no water either? They are claiming all kinds of health benefits and its life changing.

Are these people serious?
Do a quick google search of dry fasting...

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
No need for me to even research it. There is no way that I would even consider not drinking anything for 24 hours on purpose. I have fasted before as well but I wouldn't even try to not drink for 24 hours.

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
Deferring to the vets but as noted above - sounds like absolute insanity. This is actually how people die.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I naturally fast for 12 hrs. But fast for 15 to 16hrs when I work.

I do... Cut myself off fluids around 6pm because, i don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night to pee... But, my first coffee is at 330am. so... am i doing something wrong?

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Why is it even called fasting? Not eating slows me down and makes me cranky.

Reactions: CJ

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
No booze for over 12 hours?

I'm out.....

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
The concept of fasting appears to me to just be another way to reduce calories in a 24 hour period ... there is no magic to it similar to low/no carbs ... there are a thousand ways to put yourself in a calorie deficit ... its amazing to me ... people will do anything to avoid cardio ...

Last edited:

So1970

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it water is essential to life.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Some religions do this. I am not sure of the details but Muslims fast during Ramadan and do not consume food or water from dawn to dusk. Even Christianity has it's fasting; Catholics are big on Lent and some fast during this time. The details of how to fast as a Christian are sketchy at best but I know of no place in the Bible it says to go without water. Not a biblical scholar so correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's my issue with fasting and no water for religious reasons. There are young men out on a football field in the 2 o'clock 90° heat that can not have water. I think there are exception to this on case by case basis but health should always trump stupidity.

In theory, and there's a lot of them, the benefit of fasting is the body reboots itself and clears toxins during the fasting process. Best way to clear out all that nasty stuff is by consuming lots of water. My concern with fasting and no water would be the unhealthy build up of what your body wants to get rid of. Ever spend too much time outside, working in the heat and not taking in any water? You piss a golden yellow and that's only going by color. I'm sure a urinalysis would have your creatinine through the roof and a blood test having your crits notably higher.

My opinion; it's a good intention followed by a bad result.

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
Like transcend noted, people will come up with anything they think will "shortcut" having to be diligent and actually work for something.

Pinkbear

Elite
Reaction score
I naturally fast for 12 hrs. But fast for 15 to 16hrs when I work.

I do... Cut myself off fluids around 6pm because, i don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night to pee... But, my first coffee is at 330am. so... am i doing something wrong?

These people are going days with out water.... I'm not talking hours days.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
These people are going days with out water.... I'm not talking hours days.

I've met one person to go through extreme fasts like that for non-religious reasons. Once a year he'll go completely without food or water for a certain amount of time. I can't remember exactly how long but he described symptoms towards the end of the fast such as an inability to focus his eyes and his tongue discolors. I guess the vision thing is because the eyes lost so much moisture due to dehydration that they aren't shaped correctly anymore.

He says he feels renewed body and spirit after coming off a fast like that.

Personally, I think he's a kook.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Big surprise. More clueless sheep and a diet fad.
If I lose a pound I am pissed lol

It's just water weight lol

But yeah. I dont go 24hrs without fluid. I have this fear of being dehydrated.. I actually gotta get it under control again. It's usually towards the end of my fast, is when I chug the most water.

Gadawg

The Tick
Reaction score
I started fasting for 22-24 hrs once every week. Mostly for the cancer preventative benefits but Id never deprive fluids. Nothing is beneficial about dehydration

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
I have done some drastic water cuts to make weight in Powerlifting. The last couple years i just weigh in and compete at what i weigh.
I used to only cut my water about 10 hours before weigh in and 5-6 hours of that i was asleep on my cpap. I could rip off 14-15 pounds in 10 hours, make weight, then weigh in and be 16 pounds up by competition time. I believe this is an old college wrestler mentality that has stuck with me.

New Threads