Training times/sets

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to this site and just got back into training after years off and becoming a fat ****. How longs everyone spending in the gym actually training. I'm working 12.5 hr days on site at then moment and running 2-10 km every arvo (usually 2)to lose the fat and im up at 3am before work to pump some weights. I've been running 5-6 times a week the last 8 weeks and been hitting the gym properly the last 2 or 3 and finally starting to enjoy again.
I'm only getting half hour in the gym but smashing 4 exercises 3-4 sets each in that time.
How long/ how many sets everyone doing...?
Anyone else in and out getting any good results...?

Elivo

Elite
Reaction score
Get in what you’re able to, as long as you make it count. I think you’ll find everyone is a little different with workout duration.

personally I’m around an hour now not including cardio. In the past it was closer to 2 but I just don’t want to spend that long in the gym anymore.

Texan69

Elite
Reaction score
Quality of quantity! I used to spend 2 hours in the gym and it was all crap. Now I rarely go over an hour not counting warm up and stretching. unless it’s legs and cardio then sometimes I may go over an hour. 45 mins usually for my actual workout.
20-30mins could do it If your rest periods are short you can get the sets in you can still get a good workout in. If your a serious powerlifter then I could see a need for a longer workout. But if your just looking to loose body fat and gain some muscle then as long as your consistent each week and pushing yourself don’t get too caught up on how long you workout

Last edited:

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
What time dictates, at work 45-60 mins at home 1 hour 30-2 hours. I get a great work out done in both time frames

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I usually train alone,so I'm in & out around 50minutes
Always making eac

Sicwun88

Reaction score
Usually in & out around 50min,

Focusing on making every rep count,mind to muscle connection.

Always switching my routine,to keep the muscle confused.

Usually 2days on,1 day off,3days on,2days off,I like to do legs or back,
After the 2days off

3-4 exercises, 4 working sets, usually total of 12 -15 sets

Exercises vary to how I'm feeling tht day
Cardio 3x a WK, no more than 45 min, for me.so I'm in the gym around an hour and half on days I do cardio

Reaction score
Taking a bit to get back into it. Always feels shit to start fresh on weights that are upsetting to what I used to lift. Feels embarrassing but noticing some quick progress in weight already atleast. Turning forty next month and determined to get back in shape after letting my self go do far. Slowly working myself up and getting back to towards enjoying it. Cheers for the comments. Good to see others routines it helps the mind set. Cheers fellas

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I have just turned 43 came here 2 years ago fat as fuk and out of shape, now i am in better shape that at any point in my life and its getting better all the time. Just stick with it and keep going it will all fall into place

Taking a bit to get back into it. Always feels shit to start fresh on weights that are upsetting to what I used to lift. Feels embarrassing but noticing some quick progress in weight already atleast. Turning forty next month and determined to get back in shape after letting my self go do far. Slowly working myself up and getting back to towards enjoying it. Cheers for the comments. Good to see others routines it helps the mind set. Cheers fellas

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If your gym time is limited, make it count.

Choose mulit joint compound lifts, less isolation work. Do more with less. For example, a Squat will work quads, glutes, adductors, calves, hamstrings, and back. Leg Extensions would only hit quads.

Make every set count, quality over quantity, as others have said.

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
Get on there and do what you can with the time you have! Always better then nothing and will make a difference over time

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
Pretty much everyone has said the same thing. Do what works with your schedule. Consistency is much more important than duration.

Being critical you can get a fantastic workout in with 30min if you keep you rest time between sets down below a minute. I’d say 45-60 I’d a great workout if you aren’t talk, playing with your phone or slow walking it to the water fountain. Especially when dieting.

Working on your nutrition is going to be 80% of your goal. You can’t out run or out lift what you can eat.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Bench, 4 sets, 2:00 rest in between sets
Pullups, 4 sets, 2:00 rest
Inc Press, 4 sets, 2:00 rest
Rows, 4 sets, 2:00 rest

That's 48 mins of total work and rest.

If you superset those:
A1) Bench, 4 sets
A2) Pullups, 4 sets
-alternate above exercise, 1:00 rest in between
B1) Incline Press, 4 sets
B2) Rows, 4 sets
-alternate above exercises, 1:00 rest in between

Total time gets cut down to 32 mins of work and rest.

There's ways to get it done.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the community JP ... 12.5 hours is a long work day no doubt ... smart to get workouts in before that ... it sounds like you've been on your current regimen for 2 months ... what results are you getting so far?

If you're not dropping fat as quickly as you'd like review your diet ... the truth is you cannot out pace your diet no matter how long your workouts ...

I'd recommend you look at your situation in a more results oriented way ... calculate your TDEE ... and make sure your in a 500 calorie deficit each day ... yes this means your going have to do some tracking but using MyFitnessPal is easy ... and will get you on track to results faster than anything else ...

Congrats on getting started and keep us posted with you results ...

Reactions: CJ

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Welcome to UG. I usually get in 1 hour on push days and 1.5 hours on pull and leg days. Do what you can, when you can. Push yourself to/near failure often as you can.