Votes: 5 33.3%
  • What is COVID-19?

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Will the July Tokyo Olympics be cancelled?

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Have to say a big NO on cancellation for the Kung Flu. It’s gonna be funny seeing everyone with masks on though.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Too much money involved, I doubt it.

ComeBacKid85

Reaction score
All that money and all them masks will be funny. It will happen :32 (1):

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
The olympics will go on planned.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say they won’t be held. Even if there are limited infections lingering, every nation will be represented.

Many of which will probably be successful in having quarantined their borders up
to that point.

The Olympics would open every participating country up to potential infection.

By beggining of April the answer should
be clear.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Rumors of moving 2020 site or postponing.

Not going to happen this summer in Tokyo IMO.

stonetag

Elite
Reaction score
I don't think an average person (myself) could comprehend the kind of money tied up in that event, bar an outbreak of huge proportions, the games will happen.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I don't think an average person (myself) could comprehend the kind of money tied up in that event, bar an outbreak of huge proportions, the games will happen.

Thats where we don’t see eye to eye. Covid will be/is an outbreak of epic proportions.

Not so deadly but the spread is head-spinning.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Strictly speaking to the bottom line, there's a shit ton more money to be lost if the people attending as fans brought the virus back to their home cities. The potential for wide-spread loss of productivity from the nations involved in the Olympics is insane. Talking hundreds of thousands of man hours and the associated health care costs are at risk. We're talking countries potentially risking months of lingering labor force issues for 2 weeks worth of games. There are 30(ish) countries currently with confirmed cases of CORVID-19 vs 206 countries currently eligible for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. The risk:reward ratio involved in hosting the games with the current threat level just does not make sense on paper.

My company is owned by the Japanese now and as of this week we've prohibited any travel to and from Japan for any one of our factories throughout the world.

Having said that, greed knows no depth so while there's sound logic in rescheduling, relocating or cancelling, "tradition" may prevail. Who knows, this world is crazy right now.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m going to go out on a limb here and say they won’t be held. Even if there are limited infections lingering, every nation will be represented.

Many of which will probably be successful in having quarantined their borders up
to that point.

The Olympics would open every participating country up to potential infection.

By beggining of April the answer should
be clear.

This scenario was exactly whats playing in me head - it's a global breeding ground for the virus, literally. Yes, I get it, money, but there's the bottom line and then there's exacerbating a global pandemic for sake of that $$.

My guess: they'll relocate the games and give Tokyo dibs on the next one.

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
The Olympics are in late July. The idea that this virus wouldn't have spread before then when we already have reports of people being infected by it despite not visiting any contaminated regions is wishful thinking I think.

If I'm the PM, I'm not cancelling the Olympics. The Japanese are extremely cautious as it is (their economy tanked due to a 2% bump up in sales tax for goodness sake) - cancelling the Olympics will only enhance the "fear factor".

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Japan spent over 12 billion dollars preparing for the Olympics. Word is that's even a low estimate.

The IOC will make the final decision if the games go forward or not. If the virus threat worsens, its likely they will cancel the event. The IOC is relying on consultations from the World Health Organization.

The IOC continues to encourage athletes to focus on their training and that for now all indications at this time its business as usual but also have trust that the IOC will not send them into a pandemic situation. Probably in May, is when you'll see a more definite answer. If they cancel, you can forget about a postponement. It will just be canceled altogether. The Olympics have been canceled twice before due to war.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Maybe I should start a new poll.

I don’t think they will be held in 2021 either.

We’re in this untl we have a vaccination.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
im not taking any vaccines ...I say no way the olympics goes on

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
I don't see it going on. I hope it does but unless the rulers of the world stop with the panic BS. People won't go because they will die a horrible deaths. The United States will have up to a million deaths but best case scenario 250,000 deaths.

Oh wait, it was scare tactic and there has been less than 15% of the best case scenario of deaths. Fuk Chinese virus and the BS scare tactics that followed it.

New Threads