Do you do lunges ...?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I actually did body weight only lunges for 3 sets or 10 each leg yesterday after not doing any lunges for probably 5 years (since having a trainer).

All I can say I hope my membership status here is not at stake - because I've got to say my legs (does my ass count as part of my legs) are so soar today I can hardly sit down or get up for that matter ... I'm sorry to be crying like a little girl ... but holy smokes ... my but and hamstrings are soar today.

Do you do lunges (or is that for girl scouts only) ...?

Oh and yeah .. I'm going to keep doing them ...!!

tinymk

Elite
Reaction score
They are a great exercise for whole posterior chain imo. We have a hate/ hate relationship but they work well

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
They will **** you up!!!

Try Bulgarian Split Squats/Rear foot elevated split squats, in the Smith machine. When you don't have to balance yourself, you can destroy your legs with these too.

I do those more than lunges, I had surgery on a big toe, and it doesn't really bend anymore. Makes lunges awkward.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
They will **** you up!!!

Try Bulgarian Split Squats/Rear foot elevated split squats, in the Smith machine. When you don't have to balance yourself, you can destroy your legs with these too.

I do those more than lunges, I had surgery on a big toe, and it doesn't really bend anymore. Makes lunges awkward.

John Meadows swears by these for massive quad growth. he does them with 1 hand holding a dumbbell and the other holding onto something like a squat rack for balance. I liked them alot back when I did them, I have the same issue where my big toe doesn't bend at all, shattered my foot pretty good and alot of it was fused back together, so lunges are awkward as all hell for me.

Reactions: CJ

Uncle manny

Elite
Reaction score
It’s a primal pattern so it’s a must! Definitely a good idea to incorporate them in your program at least twice a month if not weekly.

Reactions: CJ

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I used to but I haven't found a way to do them without destroying my knees. I can't explain why but there's a very sharp pain in my left knee whenever I do even BW lunges.

They're definitely a great workout but damn do they kill my knees.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I used to but I haven't found a way to do them without destroying my knees. I can't explain why but there's a very sharp pain in my left knee whenever I do even BW lunges.

They're definitely a great workout but damn do they kill my knees.

I can't explain why, but I know a few people who have knee pain when doing lunges, but when they do step back lunges, they're pain free.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
bulgarian splits

or recently... i have my foot on a incline (Can use a plate, aerobics step and adjust the height you want) and toe slightly pointed out to a 45 degree, with my body slightly in that direction.... those are nice. real nice. very. very. nice.

3 sets of 12 to 15. golden.

And my knee stays forever trashed.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Lunges of different variations are a good exercise to add to your leg workout. As are Bulgarian Split Squats. You can rotate them from one workout to the next. I recommend them. As for myself, I do not do them anymore. I'm good just squatting now. My legs get worked on my anaerobic cardio days as well.

Reaction score
I like to do reverse lunges with the barbell on my back. Definitely is a total lower body killer. Also the Bulgarian split squat like CJ said almost hits the same areas. I need to do more lunges but I always hit Split squats at least once a week.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
You aren't the only one ... lunges do require balance ...

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
I can't explain why, but I know a few people who have knee pain when doing lunges, but when they do step back lunges, they're pain free.

I'll keep that in mind.

I have an old ski injury that flairs up from time to time even just going up and down stairs. Not a lot I can do except train around it but I'm open to new methods.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yea, I do 'em. I train legs 2x weekly and I do static lunges on the day I don't do squats. Grab a 50 Lb db, hold one hand on the corner of the squat rack fer balance (and glare at anyone looking to move ye from the squat rack), same leg back as the hand yer holding the rack with (opposite the dumbbell), knees stay behind yer shins. Great fer glutes and hammies done this way and takes the balancing issue out of the equation.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Clearly no one understands that I have incurred a very serious butt injury ... it is nice to hear my brothers (and sister) are lunging away also ... that does make me feel a little better .... :32 (6):

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I fall over when I try
I have balance issues. so i always have something i use to guide me... up. and. down. and. up. and. down. Bahahaha

no for real, i just hold on to something. i just make sure i am not using it to pull me up.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Clearly no one understands that I have incurred a very serious butt injury ... it is nice to hear my brothers (and sister) are lunging away also ... that does make me feel a little better .... :32 (6):

He broke his ASS!!!!

Reaction score
I love lunges, and I do them every other leg day. I have trouble with standing lunges though, so I do walking lunges with a 35 lbs barbell, 3 sets of 20.

For some reason the balance issues don't affect me when I do walking lunges. They seem to really hit my glutes hard.

New Threads