What's your opinion on BCAA vs EAA?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Real food>Whey/Casein powders>EAAs>BCAAs

Reasoning;

Real quality protein source foods have all the amino acids in them. Most cost efficient. By far the best source, these are your base.

Powders have their place, as SUPPLEMENTS to real food sources. Whey and casein have full amino acid profiles.

EAAs are all the essential amino acids, including the BCAAs. Any non essential amino can be synthesized from these. Much more expensive than the above, for not much benefit, if any.

BCAAs are only the 3 amino acids Leucine, isoleucine, and valine. These are the aminos, specifically Leucine, that trigger the muscle protein synthesis response. Not very cost efficient, as you get plenty of these in the above examples anyway. They're costly and TASTE LIKE ABSOLUTE SHIT unless you get flavoring added. Seriously, maybe in contention for the worst taste ever!

One potential issue is if you use BCAAs too much, is you could not be getting enough of all the other essential aminos, which are required to create new muscle tissue, along with other body processes. The BCAAs merely help create the signal to build, you still need the materials.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
CJ - was going to give you more rep points but apparently I have to “spread some around” before giving you more.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
eaa only if you drink them during workout. Thats it.

You need real cals with real full grams of protein, Ive used every supp there in the past 10yrs......EAA are not worth it.

If you must, drink 10g during workouts, or just not at all....

Do not get caught up in the marketing they put out, the claims are fa king redic

Gabriel

Reaction score
My mindset on protein.....best time to take..1-bedtime.....2-within 30 after WO.................I'm always in a rush after the WO ,,so,I do a combo of BCAA's,glutamine,Beta-alanine,and some electolytes.....but I'm an old fart,,I need all the help I can get..

Redemption79

Reaction score
They're costly and TASTE LIKE ABSOLUTE SHIT unless you get flavoring added. Seriously, maybe in contention for the worst taste ever!

Ever have any the early versions of BHB salts? Absolutely horrid.
I do recall a few nasty BCAA products from a long time ago, but most of the flavored stuff out there is pretty good now. Most mix a lot better than the used to also...the earlier stuff absolutely refused to mix with water.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
If you’re going to use EAAs then I like “Grunt”... at least that’s what I think it is. Maybe by redcon1? I like them in very specific situations but generally don’t use EAAs or pre workouts.

GSgator

Reaction score
I use EEA,s preworkout John meadows has a good youtube video explaining them both

Blacktail

Reaction score
I used to use all that crap, then stopped to see if anything happened. And nothing did! Now a good multi vitamin is all I take.

Reactions: CJ

MotorCityMuscleZ

Reaction score
EAA's seem to be the thing nowadays.

Def worthwhile on a calorie restriction.

I used to use all that crap, then stopped to see if anything happened. And nothing did! Now a good multi vitamin is all I take.

ATLRigger

Elite
Reaction score
Are BCAAs not useful for vegetarian diets in which primary source of protein are legumes, seeds, nuts, etc?

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
eaa only if you drink them during workout. Thats it.

You need real cals with real full grams of protein, Ive used every supp there in the past 10yrs......EAA are not worth it.

If you must, drink 10g during workouts, or just not at all....

Do not get caught up in the marketing they put out, the claims are fa king redic
x2 with my man GR

lfod14

Reaction score
Are BCAAs not useful for vegetarian diets in which primary source of protein are legumes, seeds, nuts, etc?

Being Vegetarian You'd probably want to stick with EAA's given how many different deficiencies can exist on a Vegetarian diet. Assuming you're probably tracking everything and covering that but if you're not, use something like Crononmeter so you can get a micronutrient breakdown on your diet. If you're running short on your amino profiles you'll see it.

New Threads