Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bench critique

  1. #1
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts

    Bench critique

    Does anyone know if you have to keep your head down during bench for USPA? I canít seem to find the answer anywhere.

    Also tell me what you think of this lift. Probably could have paused a bit longer and will have to during competition but this will be my second attempt at the meet coming up in a week and a half



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Thatgoodfellow For This Useful Post:

    CohibaRobusto (09-28-2020)

  3. #2
    Elite tinymk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    1,968
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,039 Posts
    You can lift your head on bench in uspa.
    Bad angle to try and give advise really. You can be on your toes to bench but you have to stay on your toes. Visa Vera. Start flat footed you have to stay flat footed. Practice setting your feet and not moving them during the lift.
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

    CohibaRobusto (02-19-2020),Sicwun88 (02-19-2020),Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020)

  5. #3
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts
    Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    You can lift your head on bench in uspa.
    Bad angle to try and give advise really. You can be on your toes to bench but you have to stay on your toes. Visa Vera. Start flat footed you have to stay flat footed. Practice setting your feet and not moving them during the lift.
    thank you. Where would be a better angle?

  6. #4
    Elite tinymk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    1,968
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Try and get the camera at an angle towards you that is down between your feet and your elbow. That way we can see the bar path off the chest, where your elbows are tucked and flaring, your leg drive and how well your arch is.
    The second part of the video I attached is a best angle the first part we did not have room to place the camera at that angle. I am not perfect nor know everything but this is how my videos have been Best critiqued by my peer and coaches to help me. For what it is worth brother.
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

  7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

    CJ275 (02-19-2020),CohibaRobusto (02-19-2020),DEADlifter (02-19-2020),Metalhead1 (02-19-2020),NbleSavage (02-19-2020),Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020),The Tater (02-27-2020)

  8. #5
    Veteran snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    9,332
    Thanks
    6,932
    Thanked 12,575 Times in 5,247 Posts
    Go with Tiny but one thing I would like to add, hold the top. You don't want to get the lift and jump the rack command. I know a guy who got excited on his first bench attempted and drifted the weight back.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

    CJ275 (02-19-2020),Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020),tinymk (02-19-2020)

  10. #6
    Elite tinymk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    1,968
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    You don't want to get the lift and jump the rack command. I know a guy who got excited on his first bench attempted and drifted the weight back.
    correct. The uspa is a 3 command. Each so practice that when you work pauses. START PRESS RACK are the commands
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

    CJ275 (02-19-2020),Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020)

  12. #7
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts
    Originally Posted by snake View Post
    Go with Tiny but one thing I would like to add, hold the top. You don't want to get the lift and jump the rack command. I know a guy who got excited on his first bench attempted and drifted the weight back.
    yes I worry that’s gonna be my biggest problem and hopefully I can keep it in my head to wait before I rack everyday up to the meet. I need a mantra or something to say in my head as I’m doing each lift.

  13. #8
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts
    Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    Try and get the camera at an angle towards you that is down between your feet and your elbow. That way we can see the bar path off the chest, where your elbows are tucked and flaring, your leg drive and how well your arch is.
    The second part of the video I attached is a best angle the first part we did not have room to place the camera at that angle. I am not perfect nor know everything but this is how my videos have been Best critiqued by my peer and coaches to help me. For what it is worth brother.
    I always feel like a douche at my gym putting up the camera but that’s just my insecurities. **** the haters. I’ll have to set it up on a box or something to hit that angle. Thanks for the tips man

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Thatgoodfellow For This Useful Post:

    tinymk (02-19-2020)

  15. #9
    Elite Trump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    UK/Nigeria
    Posts
    3,989
    Thanks
    2,784
    Thanked 4,547 Times in 2,152 Posts
    you can buy a little tripod off amazon for a few dollars that fits all phones

    Originally Posted by Thatgoodfellow View Post
    I always feel like a douche at my gym putting up the camera but that’s just my insecurities. **** the haters. I’ll have to set it up on a box or something to hit that angle. Thanks for the tips man
    Last edited by Trump; 02-19-2020 at 03:44 PM.
    ĎTrump is my idol, I aspire to look like himí Gibs 2020

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trump For This Useful Post:

    Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020),The Tater (02-27-2020),tinymk (02-19-2020)

  17. #10
    Elite CJ275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Down at Fraggle Rock
    Posts
    4,454
    Thanks
    6,540
    Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,561 Posts
    Originally Posted by Thatgoodfellow View Post
    I always feel like a douche at my gym putting up the camera but that’s just my insecurities. **** the haters. I’ll have to set it up on a box or something to hit that angle. Thanks for the tips man
    Just ask someone to video you. Tell them you have a meet and you're coach wants a video. Nobody will think you're a douche.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

    Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020)

  19. #11
    Elite tinymk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanks
    1,968
    Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,039 Posts
    Originally Posted by Thatgoodfellow View Post
    I always feel like a douche at my gym putting up the cameras
    Why would you be a douche for taping your lift. I wouldn’t give 2 shits what anyone that is outside your circle thinks. I am sure I have some closet haters out there, let em and no one has every said a word **** em brother
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-600 Bench-512 Deadlift-683

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinymk For This Useful Post:

    Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020),Tiny (09-28-2020)

  21. #12
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts
    Originally Posted by Trump View Post
    you can buy a little tripod off amazon for a few dollars that fits all phones

    that’sa good idea I’ll have to check them out

  22. #13
    Elite Thatgoodfellow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    803
    Thanks
    698
    Thanked 933 Times in 380 Posts
    Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    Why would you be a douche for taping your lift. I wouldn’t give 2 shits what anyone that is outside your circle thinks. I am sure I have some closet haters out there, let em and no one has every said a word **** em brother
    ya you’re right. It’s probably because It’s not a whole lot of weight I’m moving but I only worry about it every once in a while. I had to use another bench next to mine today and I was just worried someone was gonna come try and use it. I’m gonna check that tripod out so I can get better angles without taking up equipment.

  23. #14
    Elite. SFGiants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    In A Vagina
    Posts
    6,432
    Thanks
    4,934
    Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,262 Posts
    Get a handoff so you can set up tighter and stay tight
    Knock Em Down and Keep Em Down!

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SFGiants For This Useful Post:

    Assassin32 (04-07-2020),Thatgoodfellow (02-19-2020),tinymk (02-19-2020)

  25. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Originally Posted by tinymk View Post
    You can lift your head on bench in uspa.
    Bad angle to try and give advise really. You can be on your toes to bench but you have to stay on your toes. Visa Vera. Start flat footed you have to stay flat footed. Practice setting your feet and not moving them during the lift.
    You are correct...uspa does allow for your head to be up off the bench...

  26. #16
    Senior Member Tiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    107
    Thanked 97 Times in 55 Posts
    Can't really add much, just anecdotal but when I bench I normally lift my head to give my chest more of the weight vs. flat to my arms. In other words myy head is more likely to lift as my arms fatigue. Whether it actually adjusts the load I have no idea.
    Shake weight champion at local YMCA

  27. #17
    Elite transcend2007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    2,733
    Thanks
    700
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 921 Posts
    TGF please consider getting a spotter when you are approaching 1 rep maxes ... if they are not needed no problem .. but if they are you can be in trouble long before anyone notices you need help.

    Tiny who is that spotting you ...?
    HRT for life!

  28. #18
    Elite Metalhead1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    2,102
    Thanks
    3,293
    Thanked 2,301 Times in 1,247 Posts
    Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Can't really add much, just anecdotal but when I bench I normally lift my head to give my chest more of the weight vs. flat to my arms. In other words myy head is more likely to lift as my arms fatigue. Whether it actually adjusts the load I have no idea.
    If your head raises, be sure you belly up to the bar at the same time. Basically arching harder. If not, your sternum will sink, and increase the ROM.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Metalhead1 For This Useful Post:

    Tiny (09-29-2020)

Similar Threads

  1. 27 and new to bodybuilding - seeking a critique
    By thetroutpout in forum Training and Workouts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM
  2. Critique my diet
    By DoriDori in forum Dieting, Nutrition and Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 08:27 PM
  3. PLEASE Critique My Upcoming Cycle
    By Georgia in forum Anabolic Steroid Cycle Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-30-2013, 11:25 AM
  4. First cycle critique. Test + Anavar.
    By Curiosity in forum Anabolic Steroid Cycle Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2012, 12:42 PM
  5. Sample diet critique
    By Curiosity in forum Dieting, Nutrition and Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •