Competition Prep - Background/Goals/Cycle Info

Reaction score
So I’m currently prepping for my first competition come October. I’ll be competing in the big leagues, on the road to attempt to earn my pro card and I’m super excited to start my journey! For starters, I’m currently 29 years old and have been lifting (naturally) for going on 9 years now. I love my physique, but I’m also a super competitive person and want to give myself the best shot at coming out #1 come competition time. With that being said, I believe I’m ready to start my first cycle. I want to train my body to reach it’s highest potential and let the rest play out as it may. I’ve been prescribed a cycle stack by my trainer (who has earned his pro card already) but I would like some more advice/suggestions/information from others with experience. I’m aware of the risks, and I just want to make sure I’m taking the proper precautions before taking this next step. With that being said, my suggested first cycle looks as follows:

-Test E (500 MG/12 weeks)
-Tbol (6 wks)
-Nolvadex (PCT)

How does this stack look? I’ve being a lot of suggestions that an AI should be taken during cycle as well, but according to my trainer, the Nolvadex taken post cycle should suffice. For some reason that sounds a bit off to me, is that how cycles are normally run? I want to do this right or not do it at all, if I feel there’s a chance I could be doing my body long-term harm, I’m going to pass, it’s just not worth it to me at that point.

Anyways, any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
If you’re out to get your pro card then forget pct. just cruise.

16 weeks. Run the tbol at the end so that you get a good feel for what testosterone alone does.

Of course you'll be doing your body harm. If you aren’t willing to sacrifice years off your life then forget going pro.

You may or may not need an Ai. Have one on hand.

GET BLOOD WORK DONE BEFORE YOU INJECT ANYTHING.

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, what would be your suggestions for possible AI’s? Also, forgot to mention this I’ll be taking 25mg of Tbol daily

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
can You post up some photos? Genetics are the most critical factor in excelling in B.B.

Lets see if it’s reasonable for you to attempt a pro card.

if you can’t post on this site just give us a link.

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
you should have an ai on hand, nolvadex would suffice, but you certainly don't need to take an ai, especially on that cycle. No way to really know until you get bloodwork during the cycle or start experiencing high estrogen symptoms

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score
So I’m currently prepping for my first competition come October. (1)I’ll be competing in the big leagues, on the road to attempt to earn my pro card and I’m super excited to start my journey! For starters, I’m currently 29 years old and have been lifting (naturally) for going on 9 years now. I love my physique, but I’m also a super competitive person and want to give myself the best shot at coming out #1 come competition time. With that being said, I believe I’m ready to start my first cycle. I want to train my body to reach it’s highest potential and let the rest play out as it may. (2)I’ve been prescribed a cycle stack by my trainer (who has earned his pro card already) but I would like some more advice/suggestions/information from others with experience. I’m aware of the risks, and I just want to make sure I’m taking the proper precautions before taking this next step. With that being said, my suggested first cycle looks as follows:

-Test E (500 MG/12 weeks)
-Tbol (6 wks)
-Nolvadex (PCT)

(3)How does this stack look? I’ve being a lot of suggestions that (4)an AI should be taken during cycle as well, but according to my trainer, the Nolvadex taken post cycle should suffice. For some reason that sounds a bit off to me, is that how cycles are normally run? I want to do this right or not do it at all, if I feel there’s a chance I could be doing my body long-term harm, I’m going to pass, it’s just not worth it to me at that point.

Anyways, any feedback would be great! Thanks!

Some feedback:

1) What are the big leagues? I don't know anyone who competes in the "big leagues" the first time they compete.

2) This is where things get confusing. I would typically ask why you would ask some random strangers for advice when a pro bodybuilder/trainer/doctor(if he actually prescribed drugs, I assume he is an MD), has laid out everything for you. After reading the rest of your post, I have doubts on your dealers advice.

3) I never suggest anything but test for a first cycle and for only one reason. You want to see how your body reacts to a single compound so if at some point you add something else and have issues, you can identify what compound caused the issue and discontinue if necessary. If for some reason, you feel like you are just going to do it anyway, do it at the end of your cycle so you if you have harsh side effects(unlikely but possible), you will know that it was the tbol.

4) An AI should always be kept on hand during any cycle and the suggestion that using and AI(Nolvadex isn't an AI per se) after your cycle is over is ludicrous. The purpose of an AI is to help to control higher estrogen symptoms during your cycle. Treating your symptoms after you have potentially suffered from the symptoms for weeks is as silly as taking Tylenol after your headache goes away. So..I disagree

You have really lucked out in finding this place. There is alot of information here and hundreds of years of combined experience with everything from weightlifting to diet to anabolics.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your journey.

Reaction score
Some feedback:

1) What are the big leagues? I don't know anyone who competes in the "big leagues" the first time they compete.

2) This is where things get confusing. I would typically ask why you would ask some random strangers for advice when a pro bodybuilder/trainer/doctor(if he actually prescribed drugs, I assume he is an MD), has laid out everything for you. After reading the rest of your post, I have doubts on your dealers advice.

3) I never suggest anything but test for a first cycle and for only one reason. You want to see how your body reacts to a single compound so if at some point you add something else and have issues, you can identify what compound caused the issue and discontinue if necessary. If for some reason, you feel like you are just going to do it anyway, do it at the end of your cycle so you if you have harsh side effects(unlikely but possible), you will know that it was the tbol.

4) An AI should always be kept on hand during any cycle and the suggestion that using and AI(Nolvadex isn't an AI per se) after your cycle is over is ludicrous. The purpose of an AI is to help to control higher estrogen symptoms during your cycle. Treating your symptoms after you have potentially suffered from the symptoms for weeks is as silly as taking Tylenol after your headache goes away. So..I disagree

You have really lucked out in finding this place. There is alot of information here and hundreds of years of combined experience with everything from weightlifting to diet to anabolics.

Welcome aboard and good luck with your journey.

Okay, so now I’m a bit confused about the route I should be taking. A couple of posters above said that AI should be on hand (and have even suggested Nolvadex would suffice) but
may not be necessary, but you seem to think otherwise. Are you saying I should be taking the Nolvadex ON cycle instead or that I need an entirely different product besides the Nolvadex? And if it’s the latter any suggestions come to mind?

And thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

Also, for the poster above that requested a pic, I’d prefer not to, I always like to keep anonymity on forums. Just a personal choice.

I can provide stats though:

Ht: 6’1”
Wt: 203.3
SMM: 105.4
Current BF %: 10%

I will competing in an NPC Men’s Physique Comp.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Okay, so now I’m a bit confused about the route I should be taking. A couple of posters above said that AI should be on hand (and have even suggested Nolvadex would suffice) but
may not be necessary, but you seem to think otherwise. Are you saying I should be taking the Nolvadex ON cycle instead or that I need an entirely different product besides the Nolvadex? And if it’s the latter any suggestions come to mind?

Also, for the poster above that requested a pic, I’d prefer not to, I always like to keep anonymity on forums. Just a personal choice.

Bottom line is that you really should do a lot more research before you use drugs.

Nolvadex is a SERM. It will prevent estrogen from binding to certain receptor sites (breast tissue etc).

AIs prevent testosterone from aromatizing into estrogen in the first place.

Old school guys didn’t have AIs so they used SERMs on cycle. Some guys like high estrogen but have issues with estrogen binding to breast tissue (gyno). So for some, a SERM/Nolva might be a better fit on certain cycles than an AI.

As as far as remaining anonymous: blur out your face.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score

This is going to be HIGHLY dependent on you individually. Some don’t Aromatize at all and other people like me get Fu€£Ed fast even on moderate test.

Arimidex: easiest for me and very effective. It screws with your HDL

Aromasin: Probably the better of the two but harder to get from TRT docs. Better on HDL levels.

You might want to experiment with test before you start dieting down. You may or may not have serious water retention and that’s going to interfere with you judging yourself as you diet down if you aren’t used to it.

BigSwolePump

Elite
Reaction score

Have a look at Jin's post above mine and below yours.

When I say AI(Aromatase Inhibitor), I am referring to compounds like Arimadex or Aromasin. Like Jin mentioned, Nolvadex is a serm and works differently.

You can search them in the forums here.

Reactions: Jin

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It really isn't a wise idea doing your 1st competition and 1st try at AAS at the same time. Surprised a trainer, who also from what you say is a pro bodybuilder is recommending this. Tbh, not even a great cycle for a competition either. Imo.

Reaction score
Have a look at Jin's post above mine and below yours.

When I say AI(Aromatase Inhibitor), I am referring to compounds like Arimadex or Aromasin. Like Jin mentioned, Nolvadex is a serm and works differently.

You can search them in the forums here.

Thanks a lot

Reaction score
It really isn't a wise idea doing your 1st competition and 1st try at AAS at the same time. Surprised a trainer, who also from what you say is a pro bodybuilder is recommending this. Tbh, not even a great cycle for a competition either. Imo.

Could you explain in greater detail why you feel this way? Just trying to learn

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Preparing for a bodybuilding competition, in your case a physique competition, requires a great deal of preparation even for an experienced competitor. For a 1st timer even more so as you will be learning how your body reacts to some pretty strict dieting and macro management. Then you've got your training and cardio, show prep, posing. I'm sure you get the picture. Then you have the fact you've never experienced and experimented with AAS and have no idea how your body will react to usage in any way. Alot to chance before you walk on that stage.

dk8594

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
For the largest ROI I would suggest investing in a posing coach. Seen a lot of great physiques at contests who get passed over for lessor ones just because they don’t know how to display what they have. Keep your abs tense for 10 mins and you will see what I mean...next to impossible, but you have to be able to find the angles to keep them on display and the one good angle pointed at the judges.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score
Everything boils down to genetics regardless of what division but in my opinion, Men's physique requires more of it. You can build bigger arms but that damn tapper and thin waistline is God given and it comes right off the bat. You either have that or you don't.

Do you really want to go on gear and if so, ask yourself why? If you're happy with your look now, consider a tested competition; I think the NPC offers them. There's nothing saying you can't start there. Get the feel of the judges and if you want to go into a big show, add the gear then.

There's a difference in wanting to try out being on a stage and actually doing it. You need to be up there first to know if it's really for you and that does not require any drugs. I truly wish you the best in whatever direction you take. Please stick around here and keep us posted with your progress.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
There is some very good advise from guys who have been there and done it on this thread ... to me this less about AAS and more about commitment to a profession ... if you goal is to be a Pro I'd recommend stepping back and creating a very clear game plan ... it sounds like you have the basics of training and diet ... but you having zero experience with AAS or competing ... they are hugely important ... you'll finding competing is one thing winning is another ... and does not happen by accident ...

Not saying any of this to discourage you ... only to have you consider devising an overall game plan ... to not only move forward but set your sights on being your best ...

Gabriel

Reaction score
Snake has some strong points to concider........Genetics are a Godsend IF used properly and not leaned ON....Athleticism,I've seen trampled in my time in MA...........The one's ,,things come easy too,,get lazy and train less than the guy that has nothing going for him but intestinal fortitude............And in just a few months ,,,the gifted quit and that nobody Guy ...Rises....................Genetics and Hard work= Greatness...............Intestinal Fortitude and Hard work=the Greatest Respect.!!

brock8282

Elite
Reaction score
Could you explain in greater detail why you feel this way? Just trying to learn

didn't realize you were doing this cycle for a show prep instead of in the off season. I would also agree to not do a first cycle for a competition prep bro. Way too many unknown variables, big one being excess water retention and it will be way too complicated for you to get stage ready and bring a package you are happy with. You see at the regional level frequently the guys that are natural bring much better conditioning then guys who are enhanced. Steroids while helpful also make things more complicated.
It's early in the year, you'd be better off doing a cycle to put on size, learn how much test at that dose aromatizes for you by getting bloodwork, cruise or pct, and then hit a show at the end of the year. Don't rush drugs and competing.

Reaction score
didn't realize you were doing this cycle for a show prep instead of in the off season. I would also agree to not do a first cycle for a competition prep bro. Way too many unknown variables, big one being excess water retention and it will be way too complicated for you to get stage ready and bring a package you are happy with. You see at the regional level frequently the guys that are natural bring much better conditioning then guys who are enhanced. Steroids while helpful also make things more complicated.
It's early in the year, you'd be better off doing a cycle to put on size, learn how much test at that dose aromatizes for you by getting bloodwork, cruise or pct, and then hit a show at the end of the year. Don't rush drugs and competing.

Thats more of less what the plan is. The show isn’t until October, and we’d be starting the cycle now. When all is said and done, I should be finished with the cycle by April.

New Threads