Global pandemic: COVID-19

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Germany and France back in national lockdown. UK expected to follow (unless our PM rediscovers his balls). Data suggests that Spain, along with foolish tourists, are to blame for the 2nd wave in Europe.

A friend of mine in Surrey is reporting the same that a second lockdown is looming.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Medical and economic experts aside .. why does everyone avoid the obvious facts ... over 95% of coronavirus deaths are people over 60 years old ... over 90% of flu deaths per year are from people 70 or older ...

What do these numbers actually mean ... if you're a young healthy person 50 years old or younger you should be working .. going to school ... doing normal activities PERIOD ....

The management world wide of this process has been down right incompetent .. the fact that the free world is incapable of disseminating obvious facts begs the question WHY ... there is virtually NO risk of death for people outside of the well known risk groups ... OLD ... FAT, disabilities, heart disease, other documented ailments (lung problems) ... the population that is not at risk has been manipulated (90%+ of the world population) .. and it was easy ... they've been told don't work or go to school ... basically do nothing ... that really isn't a difficult pitch .. most people want to do nothing or do the very least possible to get by ... again this situation has been completely politically motivated ... its just amazing to me how easily the sheep are manipulated ..

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
A friend of mine in Surrey is reporting the same that a second lockdown is looming.
Politically, very difficult.

Our PM, the leader of conservative party (rough equivalent to the republicans), was told to lockdown weeks ago by his scientific advisors & the opposition party (Labour, equivalent to the Dems). He refused, preferring the regional approach, which we know doesn't work very well based on the US state-by-state experience. To U-turn now, would mean repeating the mistake he made in March (late lockdown) and...I don't see how you come back from that. They were already sinking in the polls and that might be the final nail in the coffin for him personally.

If we get news of an upcoming vaccine, then I can see the case to u-turn and go for full lockdown until we can roll it out to the public. Otherwise, he'd be better off staying the course while having a tough, grown up, state address to place the blame for the upcoming bodycount where it factually deserves to be (he & his colleagues aren't the ones spreading this thing, idiotic members of the public are).

I should add that the PM is a big softy who wants to be loved by the public so no chance he'll take my advice. Smart money is on a u-turn, 2nd lockdown, and political death.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I remember when the concept was to flatten the curve in order to stop hospital icu's from being overwhelmed ... are there currently any hospitals in the US or Europe with icu's full ... or not enough ventilators ... as usual the politicians moved the goal line ... now the goal is to have no cases or less cases ... of course no one talks about death rates any more ... because new high cases are majority younger healthier people where nearly none are dying ... of course the high case still give big media and politicians control because the sheeple allow it to happen ...

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't know what to believe anymore. Luckily, my work is considered essential so financially it has not affected me negatively. But obviously, it has affected us all in life, and the world around us.

My mother in law was tested positive for covid a couple weeks ago. She is in her mid 70's, has degenerative heart failure, has has multiple surgeries, has a bad case of diabetes. She doesn't care about anything. She has not given two shits about this threat from the beginning. She goes back and forth from MX without a damn worry. Dr. doesn't even think she needs to be retested.

She is basically having minimum side effects of the virus. My sister in law, who lives with her has 3rd stage ovarian cancer and has been on Chemo for a couple years now.
She is experiencing no side effects. Dr. Said she doesn't even need to get tested. Just to isolate herself and to monitor her oxygen levels.

Wtf is going on ? Obviously, we are all very pleased that they are doing fairly well, but these two are the kind you hear have no chance of surviving.

I just don't understand this whole thing. I'm sorry, but I am starting to wonder if this covid is in fact no more dangerous than the flu, which is dangerous for some and not for others.

We shut down the world over this and continue to shut it down over this. The timing is very suspicious from the beginning. How else am I supposed to think after seeing what I just have with my wife's family?

Reaction score
Medical and economic experts aside .. why does everyone avoid the obvious facts ... over 95% of coronavirus deaths are people over 60 years old ... over 90% of flu deaths per year are from people 70 or older ...

What do these numbers actually mean ... if you're a young healthy person 50 years old or younger you should be working .. going to school ... doing normal activities PERIOD ....

The management world wide of this process has been down right incompetent .. the fact that the free world is incapable of disseminating obvious facts begs the question WHY ... there is virtually NO risk of death for people outside of the well known risk groups ... OLD ... FAT, disabilities, heart disease, other documented ailments (lung problems) ... the population that is not at risk has been manipulated (90%+ of the world population) .. and it was easy ... they've been told don't work or go to school ... basically do nothing ... that really isn't a difficult pitch .. most people want to do nothing or do the very least possible to get by ... again this situation has been completely politically motivated ... its just amazing to me how easily the sheep are manipulated ..

and 99% of those over 60s were on death door anyway and had co morbidity. As per CDC. Sometimes they tell the truth just to see how stupid we really are. Scam through and through.

Bro Bundy

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
I’m done with nj and nyc .. bunch of sheep and giant pussies

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
CJ super interesting statistics ... Covid-19 weekly death past 30 days are 1/3 what they were back in April ... when US new daily were 25,000 per day and now 100,000 new cases per day ... let me say that again ... new cases 3 times higher and death are 1/3 ... it would seem that coronavirus is not nearly as deadly ...

Even more interesting everyone (in charge government / press) knows these numbers ... and the facts are ignored ... either complete incompetence or huge disinformation ...

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Face masks, public policies and slowing down the spread of covid-19: evidence from Canada
- Mask mandates in Canada associated with a 25-31% drop in weekly covid cases vs no mask mandate.

Face masks considerably reduce COVID-19 cases in Germany
- 40% drop in daily cases for Germany vs no mask mandate.

Causal impact of masks, policies, behavior on early COVID-19 pandemic in the US
- Mask mandate for employees in public facing businesses associated with a 9-10% drop in weekly cases vs no mandate. The drops observed in Canada & Germany are greater due to the more universal nature of the mandate.

Summary: wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask, especially for indoor public spaces, but isn't enough on its own to prevent an increase in new infections.

Before I get the predictable anti-mask responses, please read those papers first. It contains a lot of caveats - all of this is observational (cannot show causation), the effectiveness of a mask mandate is dependent on the public being willing to comply with it, etc, etc.

Last edited:

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
80%+ of coronavirus positive tested people confirm wearing their mask 100% of time when in public ... the great majority or face covering currently being worn in the US are not medical grade and clearly are not effective ...

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
80%+ of coronavirus positive tested people confirm wearing their mask 100% of time when in public ... the great majority or face covering currently being worn in the US are not medical grade and clearly are not effective ...
Cite your evidence for the part in bold.
Making the safe assumption that you haven't read the actual papers I cited, I'd ask that you at least re-read my summary. It nullifies the point you're trying to make quite effectively.

Last edited:

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Summary: wearing a mask is better than not wearing a mask, especially for indoor public spaces, but isn't enough on its own to prevent an increase in new infections.

This is a very reasonable, common sense statement. I don't see how this could even be controversial.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Cite your evidence for the part in bold.
Making the safe assumption that you haven't read the actual papers I cited, I'd ask that you at least re-read my summary. It nullifies the point you're trying to make quite effectively.

My issue is that wearing masks in not relevant ... because as you stated in your summary (which I missed I apologize) they alone are not sufficient to stop new cases ...

The larger point is when did stopping new cases become the objective .. because it was never the stated objective of any government for their reason for locking down economies ... their reasoning has always been to slow the spread in order to NOT OVERWHELM HOSPITALS ...

The idea of stopping a virus is proving to be as difficult if not impossible as the actual scientific experts stated it would be before politicians got involved ...

I'm I sorry you missed my point (which is not nullified) ... which was mask wearing is not the issue ... which all the papers you've sited .. I have no idea if they got into the explanation that all masks are not created equality .. and the great majority of masks being worn today are no where near medical grade .. and the science behind their (the none medical grade masks that 99% of the populations wear) use will not be know until far more research is completed ... but its difficult to imagine that wearing a dust rag would do much if anything to stop a virus ...

Back to my point .... mask wearing is irrelevant ... because the idea has never been and should not be to STOP THE VIRUS ... the idea is to keep hospitals open for those sick enough to require hospitalization can receive care ... which according to all available data are open today and no where near capacity ... this is the US hospitals and in Europe & UK .. of course you'd never know it .. because the press has done their job ... through misinformation to get everyone talking about what does not matter .. masks ...

To be clear .. I am not opposed to masks and wear one even though not required where I live ... I am opposed to the constant misdirection ... and misinformation that is posted on this board and seen in the main stream media ...

Does everyone here agree that death rates for healthy people who are 60 and younger is less the .3% .. why does our media keep reporting increased cases but almost does NO reporting at all on falling death rates .. the answers is simple .. if young healthy people knew they were are virtually at no risk (mask or no mask) they would not allow the nonsense that has happened for 8 months .... nor would they allow leaders who basically signed the death warrants of the most at risk .. those 70 and older in nursing homes to literally be killed by the thousands all with zero accountability ... you can only do things when the public is complicit .. talking about masks for young healthy populations ... but not protecting those actually at risk ... or holding those responsible who make obvious mistakes ... the coronovirus response was weaponized as a political issue ... no one can doubt just how effectively that was done ...

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Dems and US main stream media are to be congratulated for their strategy & victory ... they've used a bogus health crisis and misinformation to defeat Trump ... 1 year ago with the best economy on record Trump appeared to have a guaranteed 2nd term in the bag ... amazing that after 3 years of bogus Russia Russia Russia .. then bogus impeachment proceedings ... that they in the end succeeded ...

It will be interesting to see now that Biden and Dems are in power ... just how long the country stays locked down or goes back to lock downs now that Biden is responsible for the economy .. while the control will be very difficult to give up by sending children back to school and people back to work .. the fact is they will be held to the question 4 years from now are you better off ... that answer is nearly always economics based ... will riots be allowed to continue ... and all the BS that has taken place in the past 6 months ... the next year will be very interesting indeed ....

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
Exogenous shocks that negatively impact the domestic economy have a habit of taking down the incumbent president if the election is due within 12-15 months of the shock occurring. See Carter, Bush Sr, etc (in relation to oil price shocks) . It has less to do with "strategy" and more to do with bad luck.

Last edited:

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Exogenous shocks that negatively impact the domestic economy have a habit of taking down the incumbent president if the election is due within 12-15 months of the shock occurring. See Carter, Bush Sr, etc (in relation to oil price shocks) . It has less to do with "strategy" and more to do with bad luck.

Bush 41 also had to deal with Read My Lips flip flop .. and Carter certainly was crushed by the huge inflation and a horrible economy as well as appearing week internationally ...

However, 2020 (and all 4 years) is different IMO .. the US press and democratic party conspired to have a duly elected president removed ... 1st with fake news Russia Gate for 3.5 years .. then Impeachment 2020 .. both baseless ... and then weaponized Covid-19 with the specific goal of bringing the US econ to its knees to create Trumps bad luck as you called it ... how else can you explain the massive difference between red vs blue states ... it will be interesting to see what the blue states do over the next 3 months ... I'll bet you see rioting COMPLETELY ENDED by time Biden takes office ... because all racial division has been completed solved (NOT) or perhaps because this instability was encourage so Trump could be blamed ... the past 8 months have been very strategic ... with an intended consequence - that has now come to pass ...

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
However, 2020 (and all 4 years) is different IMO .. the US press and democratic party conspired to have a duly elected president removed ... 1st with fake news Russia Gate for 3.5 years .. then Impeachment 2020 .. both baseless ... and then weaponized Covid-19 with the specific goal of bringing the US econ to its knees to create Trumps bad luck as you called it ... how else can you explain the massive difference between red vs blue states ... it will be interesting to see what the blue states do over the next 3 months ... I'll bet you see rioting COMPLETELY ENDED by time Biden takes office ... because all racial division has been completed solved (NOT) or perhaps because this instability was encourage so Trump could be blamed ... the past 8 months have been very strategic ... with an intended consequence - that has now come to pass ...
I mean, is it really a shock to see the opposition party taking advantage of the current climate in order to get back into office? It's pretty much what you're supposed to do as the opposition. You can bet your bottom dollar that the republicans would've done the same thing.

Trump was defeated, politically, by covid. The exogenous shock. That's the reality of the situation. He was cruising in Jan/Feb but the pandemic hit and all the opposition had to do was walk through the now wide open door, which they did. I consider his response to the pandemic to be reeking of incompetence BUT, no matter what his response would've been, it was always going to be very difficult to win this election. The American people were suffering (in terms of health & economy) and someone was going to have to take the hit for that. It's usually the incumbent president. That's why this this down to bad luck, the timing of the election & pandemic, more than any sort of strategic brilliance from the Dems.

We're in agreement about the media. They've profited massively from this entire pandemic and it doesn't take a genius to work out that, like the UK, the US press leans to the left. And has done for years (pre-Trump even).

Reactions: Jin

New Threads