Global pandemic: COVID-19

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Will be announced soon enough.

S. Korea, Italy & Iran all being hit hard and fast. Japan to follow.

Pakistan has closed their border with Iran. 50,000 quarantined in Italy. S. Korea on highest level of alert.

Pay attention folks. Not only is this historic but the virology and epidemiology is fascinating.

America’s numbers are underreported. It’s in country and uncontainable.

Death rate is 2-2.5%. Most cases are mild. Children and infants rarely have serious complications.

older (55+) folks and people with underlying conditions (pulmonary, diabetes, COPD, asthma etc) are most at risk for serious complication and death.

Some people are asymptomatic but can still shed the virus.

during the incubation period (before symptoms show) people are contagious. Incubation period is up to 27 days.

Precautions:
social distancing
hand washing
hand sanitizer.

virus enters body through mucus membranes such as eyes, nose and mouth.

DON’T TOUCH YOUR FACE WITH UNCLEAN HANDS IF YOU'RE OUT AND ABOUT.

Find authoritative sources other than the WHO and CDC for information.

NbleSavage

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
More info on the global spread of the virus:

"Korean COVID-19 cases double; Iran-linked infections climb

Filed Under: COVID-19

Lisa Schnirring | News Editor | CIDRAP News | Feb 22, 2020

South Korea's COVID-19 cases more than doubled today, as Japan, Iran, and Italy reported more infections. In addition, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) became the third country to report Iran-linked cases.

In other developments, China reported more cases and added to its death total, and officials in the United States detailed plans to house evacuees and test surveillance samples.

WHO chief warns Africa
In the wake of warning earlier this week that the window for containing COVID-19 has narrowed, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, PhD, met with African health ministers in an emergency meeting about preparedness, which was organized by the African Union and Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

The WHO has voiced deep concern over the potential spread of the virus to countries with weak health systems, especially those in Africa.

Though 80% of patients have mild disease and recover, the other 20% have severe or critical disease, he said in a speech today before the group. "These patients require intensive care, using equipment such as respiratory support machines that are, as you know, in short supply in many African countries. And that's a cause for concern."

Many Korea cases part of 2 clusters
In two separate reports today, South Korea's Centers for Disease Control (KCDC) first reported 142 cases then reported 87 more for a total of 433, more than double the 204 reported yesterday. Of the new cases, 100 are from a Shincheonji Church of Jesus cluster, and 95 are linked to a cluster at Qingdao Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo County. Health officials also reported South Korea's second death from the virus.

The KCDC also published a summary of its first 346 cases, which shows that 48.8% are linked to the church cluster and 31.2% are linked to the hospital cluster.

It also has details about the hospital outbreak, which is centered in the facility's psychiatric ward and has so far sickened 9 staff and 102 patients. South Korea's two deaths are linked to the hospital outbreak. The report also notes that transmission linked to the church likely reflects repeated exposures, such as during small group meetings.

Japan Singapore totals grow
Meanwhile, Japan's health ministry today reported 22 more cases, raising the country's total to 113, though it also notes an overall total of 132 that includes 16 asymptomatic carriers and 3 confirmed positives.

The cases span 10 locations: Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture, Wakayama Prefecture, Chiba Prefecture, Hokkaido, Ishikawa Prefecture, Tokyo, Nagoya, Tochigi Prefecture, and Sagamihara.

In Singapore, the health ministry reported 3 more cases, raising the country's total to 89. One of the new cases is linked to a church cluster, one involves an evacuee from Wuhan, and the exposure source is under investigation for the third case. In total, only 9 of Singapore's cases don't have links to other cases.

Iran outbreak grows; UAE reports Iran-linked cases
Iran today reported 10 new cases, 1 of them fatal, The News International reported today, citing a health ministry spokesman. Eight patients are hospitalized in Qom, the country's epicenter, with two hospitalized in Tehran.

Iran reported its first cases, both fatal, on Feb 20, and today's developments lift the country's total to 28 cases, 5 of them fatal.

In a related development, the UAE today reported two cases, involving a couple who had traveled from Iran, according to a health ministry tweet. One of the patients is a 70-year-old man who being treated in an intensive care unit, and the other is his 64-year-old wife. The UAE now has 13 cases.

Italy reports another death
Italy today reported as many as 11 new cases in its steadily growing outbreak, and there are now 2 fatalities, Reuters reported today, citing healthcare sources quoted in an ANSA news agency report.

Italy now has 30 cases in the northern part of the country, 27 of them in Lombardy region. The latest death occurred in a woman from Lombardy.

China cases rise
In China, members of an international joint mission led by the WHO is in Wuhan today with their Chinese colleagues to assess the situation. The group has also visited Beijing, plus Sichuan and Guangdong provinces.

The country's National Health Commission today reported 397 new cases today, down from 889 reported yesterday, for a total of 76,288.

Officials also reported 109 more deaths and 156 fewer suspected cases, putting those respective totals at 2,345 and 11,477.

California city blocks evacuee transfer
In US developments, the California city of Costa Mesa has won federal injunction that temporarily bars the transfer of people quarantined at Travis Air Force Base to a state-owned building in Costa Mesa, according to an NBC News report.

City officials said about 30 to 50 people, reportedly those who tested positive for the virus, were slated to arrive at the facility as early as Feb 23. The building was once an assisted-living facility for people with disabilities. An expedited hearing is slated for Feb 24.

Honolulu added as surveillance site
Meanwhile, federal officials have added a sixth site—Honolulu— to its surveillance system for COVID-19, Anthony Fauci, MD, the director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said during an interview yesterday on CNBC.

A recently reported Japanese patient had traveled to Hawaii before he became ill. Last week, federal officials announced the first phase of a plan to look for people who may be infected with the disease at flu surveillance sentinel sites in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, and New York City.

Health officials will test negative flu specimens for the virus that causes COVID-19."

Reactions: Jin

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
This is proof that CDC is under reporting cases. (From NbleSavage post)

”California city blocks evacuee transfer
In US developments, the California city of Costa Mesa has won federal injunction that temporarily bars the transfer of people quarantined at Travis Air Force Base to a state-owned building in Costa Mesa, according to an NBC News report.

City officials said about 30 to 50 people, reportedly those who tested positive for the virus, were slated to arrive at the facility as early as Feb 23. The building was once an assisted-living facility for people with disabilities. An expedited hearing is slated for Feb 24.”

How can the feds be moving 30-50 people with virus when only 35 were reported the day they requested the injunction?

I read the actual request for the injunction and it’s clear that the local government did not trust the federal government one bit.

And neither should you.....

edit: at the time of this post (36+ hours after the request) the official numbers are still at 35 for USA.

You are being lied to.

Last edited:

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
The Big Question..................was it planned???

No. Generally I am not a conspiracy theorist. Global macro organizations like WHO and CDC have to factor in things like economics, politics, civil unrest etc.

They aren’t to be blamed, per de, just not fully trusted to be transparent.

Coronaviruses are the cause of all our common colds and flus. This stuff just happens and has happened for millennia.

Blacktail

Reaction score
From what I can tell it kills along the same line as the flu with the percentage of death the same.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
From what I can tell it kills along the same line as the flu with the percentage of death the same.

Death rate of the common flu: 0.1%
COVID-19: 2-2.5%

the common flu runs through the entire population (people are exposed to it)of the earth annually. We have a “heard” immunity to many strands of flu. We also have vaccines.

Nobody has had immunity to COVID-19 because we’ve never been exposed to it.

If the entire population of the earth is exposed to the current pandemic you’d see 20-50x more deaths than with the flu.

death rate goes up when intensive care units run out of ventilators.

Both kill via ARDS. Correct on that.

Blacktail

Reaction score
Death rate of the common flu: 0.1%
COVID-19: 2-2.5%

the common flu runs through the entire population (people are exposed to it)of the earth annually. We have a “heard” immunity to many strands of flu. We also have vaccines.

Nobody has had immunity to COVID-19 because we’ve never been exposed to it.

If the entire population of the earth is exposed to the current pandemic you’d see 20-50x more deaths than with the flu.

death rate goes up when intensive care units run out of ventilators.

Both kill via ARDS. Correct on that.

good to know. Thanks. Let’s hope it does not get to that point.

Grinch

Reaction score
Plum island off the east coast was a facility that housed a lot of potential biological weapons. It was used as a research facility and was said to be the source of lyme disease. And who knows what else.
Point being, humans cant be god as much as we believe that we can.
As the saying goes,"**** around, find out"
We ****ed around

China is also breeding chimeras for organ harvesting
Has billions invested in a robot army
And thinks they tell the future by way of small cookies
Crazy world we live in, hug your dog

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
Be safe out there jin

Thanks brother.

USA isn’t far behind.

IF YOU PLAN ON PREPARING, DO SO NOW.

Last thing you want to endure is crowded shops when the virus has already spread.

Worst that can happen is you end up with some extra rice, oats and canned tuna.

I love to gloat, say “I told you so” and bask in the misfortune of others. Don’t give me that chance :32 (19):

German89

Elite
Reaction score
No. Generally I am not a conspiracy theorist. Global macro organizations like WHO and CDC have to factor in things like economics, politics, civil unrest etc.

They aren’t to be blamed, per de, just not fully trusted to be transparent.

Coronaviruses are the cause of all our common colds and flus. This stuff just happens and has happened for millennia.

So. There is no coincidence between the lab in the area and the virus being exposed to general population?

What is your opinion on, Dr. Charles Lieber?

German89

Elite
Reaction score
[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/B8rs72IJBNR/?igshid=3uo06iy3li95[/video]

hopefully the link works

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
So. There is no coincidence between the lab in the area and the virus being exposed to general population?

What is your opinion on, Dr. Charles Lieber?

I can’t say anything for certain.

There is a level 4 biolab in Wuhan. That professor did receive money from China that was undisclosed.

That being said I don’t think the Coronavirus is suitable as a bio weapon. For obvious reasons. Something that goes pandemic would likely not further the interests of any given nation.

Occam's Razor: the simplest hypothesis should be considered the most likely. We have SARS and MERS as recent examples of how these viruses emerge.

I don’t have a medical background but there’s nothing fishy about this outbreak IMO.

I watched Contagion a few weeks back. Great movie and realistic.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
I can’t say anything for certain.

There is a level 4 biolab in Wuhan. That professor did receive money from China that was undisclosed.

That being said I don’t think the Coronavirus is suitable as a bio weapon. For obvious reasons. Something that goes pandemic would likely not further the interests of any given nation.

Occam's Razor: the simplest hypothesis should be considered the most likely. We have SARS and MERS as recent examples of how these viruses emerge.

I don’t have a medical background but there’s nothing fishy about this outbreak IMO.

I watched Contagion a few weeks back. Great movie and realistic.

Dont think I've seen the movie. I'll have to give it a watch.

My opinion is conspiracy theory.

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
It's also important to remember that there's a huge misinformation campaign going on now involving Corvid-19.

Some speculate that it's the Russians at work but that's besides the point. There are organizations out there purposefully trying to spread panic about a global pandemic to destabilize the world. Be aware of the situation but don't feed into the panic, it's what they want.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
It’s kind of funny how a rebellion is squashed by a sudden mutation of a long standing virus. Haven’t heard anything about Hong Kong lately... don’t think for a second the ChiComs wouldn’t go to any length to maintain power... they’re responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of their own, and unapologetic about it.

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
It’s kind of funny how a rebellion is squashed by a sudden mutation of a long standing virus. Haven’t heard anything about Hong Kong lately... don’t think for a second the ChiComs wouldn’t go to any length to maintain power... they’re responsible for the deaths of tens of millions of their own, and unapologetic about it.

Interesting...... let’s revisit this when the dust settles and see where Hong Kong ends up.

Still unlikely IMO but I really like the premise.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I forget the name of it..Because I'm so old........But the Russkis had a Bio weapon in the 80's.....nasty shit,,,would open old wounds,scratches,leave you flapping around like a fish out of water!!........As, soon as we heard about it....it was gone............and that was the 80's..!!

MrRippedZilla

Retired
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the impact this virus might have on our AAS purchasing habits rather than the health ramifications (which have been overhyped like crazy by the media).

- China is suffering from massive supply chain disruptions. It's the leading supplier of AAS raws and plenty of international orders come from there too.

- The cost of mainstream antibiotics have risen 50% for Indian drugmakers because 2/3 of their supplies are sourced from China. Indian drugmakers are the biggest exporters of generic drugs - those same drugs that plenty on this board use via orders from a variety of different sites.

- The big pharma companies have inventories lasting, maybe, 2 months. That doesn't leave much time to resume normal operations in the future considering a shortage of ingredients from China could last longer. Our AAS sources, it goes without saying, will be stretched even further than this.

So, we should see sources actively seeking alternative suppliers, shipping methods, etc. That'll hurt their margins, but it'll good for those alternative suppliers, and will probably lead to higher purchase prices for customers (it certainly will when it comes to generic drug purchases).

As for the conspiracy idea that this was somehow all planned by the Chinese...lol. Yes, the Chinese have intentionally decided to **** up their economy after finally securing a relatively favorable deal from Trump. Think about how retarded that sounds and then dismiss those conspiracies immediately :)

Last edited:

New Threads