Protein intake

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
I have always been told I need a gram to a gram n a half per lb to gain muscle. I did this protein calculator which asked if I used sarms or juice n it said I only need 121 grams a day at 30 gram intervals. Any thoughts?

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Well if a protein calculator said it ... it must be true

But seriously, if you want to grow you must eat ... or if you want to continue looking like your grandmother eat less protein .... of course you never said how much your weighed ...

Jin

Retired UG Staff
Reaction score
I have always been told I need a gram to a gram n a half per lb to gain muscle. I did this protein calculator which asked if I used sarms or juice n it said I only need 121 grams a day at 30 gram intervals. Any thoughts?

I can’t get a read on you man.

The pictures you post put you at the top of the pile in terms of physiques on this board.

Then you go asking really basic questions.

IMO just keep doing what you’re doing.

Sicwun88

Reaction score
I never calculate
But always go for 1-1 1/2g per pound tht I weigh, trying to get the majority of my protein from whole healthy foods, usually only drink a protein drink right after training or 1st thing in the morning
When I don't have to eat

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
I’m just starting convo. I just never seen it before I know I gotta eat I’m just trying to avoid taking extra. I know it’s hard on ur kidneys using a lot of protein powder n I get half my protein from powder a day n if there is new studies staining u need less then one gram for body weight I’m all for it.im basicly starting over. I need a cost and time effective way to get where I wanna be which is bigger n leaner. Lol who’s isn’t right. I’m just trying to make some friends and chat. N if someone knows I can eat less then 200 grams weighinging 190 ish I’m all for it is all. N I really don’t know much about nutrition. Exercises n reps I’ve figured out but still learn from the pros on you tube everyday. I just want as much info as I can. This is a life style for most of us and I’m just trying to figure out how to “ get big n look good naked” Seth feroce.

Ragingmenace223

Reaction score
See I want to do that it’s just time consuming to meal prep n the gym plus life .so I get the majority from shakes . Well about 50/50 n I know I need more food it’s just rough I was trying to take a short cut but I know there’s no such thing in this life style

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I’m just starting convo. I just never seen it before I know I gotta eat I’m just trying to avoid taking extra. I know it’s hard on ur kidneys using a lot of protein powder n I get half my protein from powder a day n if there is new studies staining u need less then one gram for body weight I’m all for it.im basicly starting over. I need a cost and time effective way to get where I wanna be which is bigger n leaner. Lol who’s isn’t right. I’m just trying to make some friends and chat. N if someone knows I can eat less then 200 grams weighinging 190 ish I’m all for it is all. N I really don’t know much about nutrition. Exercises n reps I’ve figured out but still learn from the pros on you tube everyday. I just want as much info as I can. This is a life style for most of us and I’m just trying to figure out how to “ get big n look good naked” Seth feroce.

Here's some reading for you.... https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I know of no studies on PED users and protein intake, if some exist, please share!!!

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Here's some reading for you.... https://mennohenselmans.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/

I know of no studies on PED users and protein intake, if some exist, please share!!!

That link and those studies at the end make the important reference to natural trainees. I was waiting for that and glad at the end that they did. The majority of people on this board are AAS users. Compounds such as nandrolones, for you to MAXIMIZE their potential benefits require you to consume a high protein diet. I'm off to work now, but if you like I can get into more as to how and why later.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
That link and those studies at the end make the important reference to natural trainees. I was waiting for that and glad at the end that they did. The majority of people on this board are AAS users. Compounds such as nandrolones, for you to MAXIMIZE their potential benefits require you to consume a high protein diet. I'm off to work now, but if you like I can get into more as to how and why later.

Yes, I made that disclaimer myself at the end of my post. I would LOVE some info on studies of PEDs and protein, as I can make a solid argument for both high and low in my head.

snake

Veteran
Reaction score

Good read CJ.

I always hold to 1g of protein per lb of lean muscle mass. My protein needs are not going up just because I put on 20 lbs of fat.

As for more protein needed while on cycle; yeah if you want to put on more muscle! This maybe some dirty math and flawed but I have simplified it this way. The closest I can get to ingesting pure muscle is boneless chicken breast which has about 140 grams of protein. So I add 20 grams of protein per day to my on cycle diet to try and net 1lb of muscle a week. That 1 lb of muscle a weeks is not obtainable for me but it's a start. 20 grams/day x 7 days = 140 grams.

It's fuzzy math but I'll go with it.

Seeker

Veteran
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes, I made that disclaimer myself at the end of my post. I would LOVE some info on studies of PEDs and protein, as I can make a solid argument for both high and low in my head.

Hey buddy,

As far as studies go? I don't know of any extensive studies on AAS usage. There are plenty on trt but this is different.
What I have learned, studied and experienced is how protein and certain AAS compounds work in their most effective manner.

What is known is that a prominent positive nitrogen balance occurs with nandrolones and therefore a high protein intake is essential for users. Nitrogen, in its bonded form is part of protein/ amino acids. Since nandrolone promotes nitrogen storage in muscle cells ( a positive nitrogen balance) then the cell contains more protein for growth and repair than normal. Again, this can only happen if above normal protein intake was taken.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Hey buddy,

As far as studies go? I don't know of any extensive studies on AAS usage. There are plenty on trt but this is different.
What I have learned, studied and experienced is how protein and certain AAS compounds work in their most effective manner.

What is known is that a prominent positive nitrogen balance occurs with nandrolones and therefore a high protein intake is essential for users. Nitrogen, in its bonded form is part of protein/ amino acids. Since nandrolone promotes nitrogen storage in muscle cells ( a positive nitrogen balance) then the cell contains more protein for growth and repair than normal. Again, this can only happen if above normal protein intake was taken.

That's one argument I have in my head with myself.

The other side is I wonder if we are just more efficient at utilizing protein, and/or not breaking down as much, when on AAS, thus negating the need for additional intake, or possibly needing even less?

And as Snake pointed out, there's only about 120 grams of protein in a pound of lean muscle, so that's about 17 or so grams extra per day, if going by a 1 lb per week of lean muscle gain, which is a lot. Not that much extra protein going toward muscle tissue, almost negligible. There's definitely a limit as to how fast the body can synthesize muscle tissue, so is more even necessary?

I don't worry about it too much personally, as I definitely over consume protein, I just have an interest in the physiology of it all, and how AAS would affect it.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just expressing the thought processes in my head.

Last edited:

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
That's one argument I have in my head with myself.

The other side is I wonder if we are just more efficient at utilizing protein, and/or not breaking down as much, when on AAS, thus negating the need for additional intake, or possibly needing even less?

And as Snake pointed out, there's only about 120 grams of protein in a pound of lean muscle, so that's about 17 or so grams extra per day, if going by a 1 lb per week of lean muscle gain, which is a lot. Not that much extra protein going toward muscle tissue, almost negligible. There's definitely a limit as to how fast the body can synthesize muscle tissue, so is more even necessary?

I don't worry about it too much personally, as I definitely over consume protein, I just have an interest in the physiology of it all, and how AAS would affect it.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just expressing the thought processes in my head.

Youte going down the path I’ve always wondered about but never found any clearer answers.

To muddy it up even more... you have two growth mechanisms for the muscle fibers themselves. (I.e not vascular or fluid retention growth etc)

Note: both assume AAS also prevents more breakdown occurring in the first place.

Enlarging existing fibroblasts: seems like you might not need that much extra protein because the cells are formed already... it’s cellular fluid and some structural overhaul.

Satellite cell recruitment: A satellite cell is splits in two creating one new satellite cell and one donee stem cell that differentiates into a new fibroblast and merges in. This seems like a huge protein requirement to structure the new cells and bond.. obviously this path is the preferential long term path.

either way, I know NOT having enough protein isn’t what I want. Might as well round up! I mean... what bodybuilder rounds down or just picks an average amount?

Reactions: CJ

New Threads