Watch your kidney function GFR

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Yup, Snake and I bounced around on the GFR thing in some thread here or elsewhere a while back . . . what always shows up on my bloodwork is "eGFR," with the e standing for "estimated."

Wondering if that implies any "temporary" or "at the moment" factor in an eGFR reading, or if the medical pro's who create charts like the one Mugzy shared have another way of calculating things that is more indicative of where a patient really stands. In other words, if you get your eGFR number and then cease many dietary items like meat, and many otc and ug supps, would a new eGFR reading improve? In OTHER other words, is a eGFR number a true indicator of irreversible kidney damage, or more like a warning to stop doing what you're doing? Could a number from labwork improve while the damage does not?

All your lab values are a snapshot of that given moment in time, and yes, changing certain lifestyle things like what you put into your body and exercise can change your lab values. If it's a supplement like creatine that's increasing your serum creatinine and thus affecting your GFR value, then yes discontinuing that supp should correct those values. If it doesn't, then that needs to be further investigated. Plenty of examples of what we do affecting those numbers. AAS tend to raise HCT in some people. Quit the AAS and HCT returns to normal. Weight training can cause elevated liver enzymes, high protein diet an elevatedd BUN, and while genetics plays a pretty heavy hand in cholesterol, lifestyle affects this too. Many minor lab variations have rational explanations in the absence of underlying disease. Looking at the whole picture, and follow up labs and studies are the approach to take, and serious variations from the norm need to be taken seriously.

Last edited:

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
. . . Looking at the whole picture, and follow up labs and studies are the approach to take, and serious variations from the norm need to be taken seriously.

THIS ^^^ for sure. It's the rest I'm not sure of. Please note I am trying to understand the whole Kidney thing better and not to argue. I have always read that Kidneys do not bounce back like the Liver, presumably like other parts of the body either, and that damage is irreversible. That HCT and other components of the blood itself, or Lipids and other things that float around in the blood can be improved may not demonstrate that Kidney function can also be improved ... I think? I'm not sure? I don't know?

Maybe the OP's follow-up visit to his doctor will shed some light on this.

TheSpectre

Reaction score
THIS ^^^ for sure. It's the rest I'm not sure of. Please note I am trying to understand the whole Kidney thing better and not to argue. I have always read that Kidneys do not bounce back like the Liver, presumably like other parts of the body either, and that damage is irreversible. That HCT and other components of the blood itself, or Lipids and other things that float around in the blood can be improved may not demonstrate that Kidney function can also be improved ... I think? I'm not sure? I don't know?

I'll see what they tell me when my next blood work comes back. I think it was mainly from drinking that GBL multiple times a day for a couple of months + Bactrim messes with BUN levels. 1,4-butaindiol (sp) really messed with my kidneys like 15 years ago. Luckily I quit taking it after falling flat on my face and breaking my nose ending up in the hospital. Maybe GBL is similar, but not quite as harsh....

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score

Damage to your kidneys from pathology isn't reversible. Lab values reflecting things like a high protein diet (elevated BUN) or as I mentioned an altered GFR because of a supplement like creatine are not indicative of pathology and are reversible. Thus the paragraph you quoted. There is nothing in my original post that is untrue. This isn't an area I researched for a thread, this is an important part of how I earn my living for the last 25 years.

Last edited:

rawdeal

Elite
Reaction score
Sounds like you would be the man to ask what's really been on my mind then. Bro-science often cites Tren as a threat to Kidneys . . .

Does Tren do irreversible pathological damage to the Kidneys, or does it simply affect labwork numbers temporarily like creatine does?
Or, might it be a combination of the 2 effects, whereby labs look bad right after a Tren cycle but rebound, partially, sometime after cessation of Tren?

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
Chronic hypertension (untreated) can lead to kidney damage. This is a risk with any AAS. To say one or the other of the compounds you are using is the culprit is a more difficult conclusion. One could say ok, I was using test for years, no problems, I added the tren and now there's a problem. Well, ok, but how do you know or not know that those years of test use without problems weren't setting you up for what I happening now? Understand that all AAS carry the risk of side effects. I'm not talking about "irritating" sides that everyone seems so hung up on, like hair loss, insomnia, night sweats, etc....Those don't kill you. I'm talking about hypertension, increased risk of heart attack and stroke, etc...

Know the risks and proceed with caution and an understanding of those risks.

Labs should return to normal values after discontinuing AAS in the absence of underlying pathology. If you have concerns, get things checked out. And if you see a doc for this you're going to have to be honest about what you've been doing so you and he aren't chasing your tails. I often hear about how docs don't know WTF they're doing. Well, how the fk can they be expected to help out if they're not getting the full picture of what's been going on to begin with.

Hope this is helpful brother.

Last edited:

New Threads