White Ape 2020 Log

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Finally decided to start a log. This is March and I turn 23 at the end of it. I have not kept in the best shape and am working to correct that. I decided that for March I am going to do something a little different. This month I will be doing the 10,000 rep swing challenge that I saw posted by Dan John https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout
Should help out my glutes, abs, hamstrings, and back. Too much sitting in an office these last 5 years. Want to get that all firing again

I gave it a trial run on Saturday. Grips starts to give away on the 50 rep set on the 3rd round. Went to the gym today and did it. So it is a 24KG kettlebell. You work in a strength exercise as well. Today was overhead press. The weight I chose ended up being too light. Used 95 pounds. Wasn't sure how it would go.

10 swings
1 press
15 swings
2 press
25 swings
3 press
50 swings
rest

That is one of 5 rounds. Completed all rounds in 25 minutes. Followed it up with some abs and stretching.

Measurements as of today:
201 pounds
BF unknown - 20ish?
Neck - 16.5"
chest - 46"
waist - 40"
biceps - 16R 15.5 L
Thighs - 24-25"

Diet:
not tracking calories. Eating Whole Foods. limiting carbs such as bread. Eating mostly veggies, meat, nuts, eggs, and a little fruit. No alcohol this month. Will only drink water and tea. Well and a coffee in the morning.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
Start tracking calories ... also consider reviewing some workout regimens here ... you dont need to reinvent the wheel ... 25 minutes will not get most the results their after ... is there a reason your avoiding traditional compound movements with BBs & DBs ... what are your overall fitness goals ...?

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I like the program as it's written, just make sure you're using a challenging weight for the strength lifts in between the swings. And remember, KB swings are ALL glutes and hammies, the arms/shoulders are just as long for the ride.

This is a good 4-5 week breakup from the traditional style programs, you'll do well with it.

German89

Elite
Reaction score
Good start, Mate. Track those foods - MyFitnessPal is yer friend. Learn yer TDEE and run 200 cals below it and watch the magic happen.

I second myfitness pal. I find it easiest for doing all the thinking for you.. All you need to do is punch in what you want to eat, it calculates it all. You play with portions.

I recommend punching all your food items in manually, more accurate. A serving size may be 150g but all you want is 75g, and boom, it does the math. I fukkin love it!!

Last edited:

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Alright, so it sounds like everyone is for tracking calories. I have ran the my fitness app before. just never kept up with it. no time like the present to give it another run

workout complete today. Kind of disliking this program already. There isn't enough variation, nor does the whole body get worked well. SO I am adding in some extra work. First off, 25 or less minutes is not enough. Second, I feel like I am neglecting much of my body if I just stick to the swing challenge.

Todays workout:

Started with 30 minutes on treadmill. 3.7MPH at a 3 incline. Needed to get some blood into my legs. My hamstrings have never hurt so bad.

Swing Challenge with push ups. Completed in 23 minutes. Grip was giving out way early though. Hoping my grip improves. I could probably knock this little challenge out in under 18 minutes. pushups in between swings. 5 push ups in between each group of reps.

10 swings
5 pushup
15 swings
5 pushups
25 swings
5 pushups
50 swings
rest

Add 4 more rounds.

At the end I did I few more sets of pushups.

Added work:

leg press: 3 plates each side
4x10

calf raises : 4x15

Stretching

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Start tracking calories ... also consider reviewing some workout regimens here ... you dont need to reinvent the wheel ... 25 minutes will not get most the results their after ... is there a reason your avoiding traditional compound movements with BBs & DBs ... what are your overall fitness goals ...?

It is just for this month. Thought it would be a cool thing to do. Normally my workout is much more traditional.

Goals: this month just trying this little experiment. Supposedly it is a good way to strip some fat off in a month. Long term goals, get leaner and bigger. After this month I will post pics again and ask for opinions on which direction to head. I posted quite a bit of details in my intro post when I first got here.

Joints hurt too much for powerlifting and such. Will focus on gaining strength and working on my overall appearance. See where it leads. My body feels better in a moderate rep range and not the low rep range. Really just tired of being a fatty and trying to get back into shape. After I left the Marines I haven't been consistent at all.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Alright. So I can't edit a post here so we will just keep moving.

TDEE says 2954 for maintenance
My fitness pal says 2840 to lose 1 pound per week.

Looking at what I have ate so far today and how I feel, I will shoot for 2700 per day and see how I feel. Does that seem high to anyone else?

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
Nope it’s a starting point stay there and see how you get along

Looking at what I have ate so far today and how I feel, I will shoot for 2700 per day and see how I feel. Does that seem high to anyone else?

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score

eat that consistently for a week and see what happens. I was around 200-300 cals under my tdee calculator before I saw results but mileage may vary.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
Okay. Tracked food today.

TDEE is 2954 for maintenance
My fit pal refreshed.... said I need 2460 to lose a pound a week.
Ate 2499
162 protein
179 carb.
84 fat.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
If you stay at 2500 Cals, give it 2 weeks before making any adjustments, if necessary. There's kind of a lag time in the body before you start to see changes happening.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
If you stay at 2500 Cals, give it 2 weeks before making any adjustments, if necessary. There's kind of a lag time in the body before you start to see changes happening.

That is the plan. I am way under that so far today. Looks like I will be having a large dinner! I don't have an issue keeping well under my allotted carbs. My fat is high due to the foods I eat so that offsets the lack of carbs and helps with energy. (nuts, avocados, peanut butter) Tough to get all my protein without going over on calories though. Possibly due to the fact that I am new at tracking all this. Suggestions?

Side note: 2500 might end up being too low. Will stick to it for a few weeks as suggested. When I was living in Houston I easily ate 4500 - 5000 calories a day. That doesn't include alcohol. Maybe gained 5 pounds in a year. This was when I would get off work, get Taco Bell or a food truck burrito on my way home. Get home and smoke a couple bowls and THEN eat. Because it tasted even better that way. haha.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
It is just for this month. Thought it would be a cool thing to do. Normally my workout is much more traditional.

Goals: this month just trying this little experiment. Supposedly it is a good way to strip some fat off in a month. Long term goals, get leaner and bigger. After this month I will post pics again and ask for opinions on which direction to head. I posted quite a bit of details in my intro post when I first got here.

Joints hurt too much for powerlifting and such. Will focus on gaining strength and working on my overall appearance. See where it leads. My body feels better in a moderate rep range and not the low rep range. Really just tired of being a fatty and trying to get back into shape. After I left the Marines I haven't been consistent at all.

LOL - I totally identify with just feeling fat and want to be in shape like immediately (like in years past) ... the great news is we can definitely get back there ... just takes diet .. workouts and some discipline mixed in ...

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
LOL - I totally identify with just feeling fat and want to be in shape like immediately (like in years past) ... the great news is we can definitely get back there ... just takes diet .. workouts and some discipline mixed in ...

Shit part is - would have been easier to just stay in shape and progress from there! haha. This is what I get for being a lazy drunken slob for a few years.

white ape

Elite
Reaction score
No gym today. Watched my newborn while my wife ran a bunch of errands and I finished up a bunch of homework.

2232 Cals
164 Protein
207 Carbs
87 fat