Long-Term Stress/Anxiety Orders and Adrenaline Resistance

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
Hi

Throwing out an abstract question here:

Could a potential effect of long-term stress (either lifestyle-related or due to an illness such as anxiety) be the resistance to adrenaline/epinephrine in stimulating lipolysis?

It may be a long shot - but curious to see what’s out there. I’ve seen studies regarding the long term effects of cortisol (on behalf of stress) and its contribution to the obese, but nothing specific to adrenaline.

Elaborating a bit - in the body’s effort to maintain homeostasis, it adapts in a number of ways. Insulin resistance is an example. If the “fight or flight” mechanism is in a constant state of engagement, doesn’t it make sense that fat would eventually become resistant to the constant adrenaline onslaught? And if so, wouldn’t that make drugs like ephedrine (that stimulate adrenaline) less effective?

or I could be nuts. Just an idea - that I can’t seem to find a factual yes or no on yet. Would love the discussion.

Last edited:

Trump

Unstoppable Force
Reaction score
I have bad anxiety at Times and the smallest dose of ephedrine makes me wired. I would say your just weird

Hi

Throwing out an abstract question here:

Could a potential effect of long-term stress (either lifestyle-related or due to an illness such as anxiety) be the resistance to adrenaline/epinephrine in stimulating lipolysis?

It may be a long shot - but curious to see what’s out there. I’ve seen studies regarding the long term effects of cortisol (on behalf of stress) and its contribution to the obese, but nothing specific to adrenaline.

Elaborating a bit - in the body’s effort to maintain homeostasis, it adapts in a number of ways. Insulin resistance is an example. If the “fight or flight” mechanism is in a constant state of engagement, doesn’t it make sense that fat would eventually become resistant to the constant adrenaline onslaught? And if so, wouldn’t that make drugs like ephedrine (that stimulate adrenaline) less effective?

or I could be nuts. Just an idea - that I can’t seem to find a factual yes or no on yet. Would love the discussion.

Viduus

Elite
Reaction score
If you need adrenaline to burn fat - you’re doing it wrong. For bodybuilding a laid back personality is actually very beneficial... blunts cortisol.

gymrat827

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score
your going too deep and technical for basic fatloss.

Cut cals and up physical activity. Done

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Systemic stress is bad for everything.

'nuff said.

chicago311

Reaction score
man i took ephedrine one time for 3 days... and thought i was going to kill someone.... NEVER EVER AGAIN

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
To clarify my reason for posting: this is hypothetical, not necessarily related to me.

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
your going too deep and technical for basic fatloss.

Cut cals and up physical activity. Done

respectfully disagree that this immediately works for everyone. Think sometimes there are other issues in play (as we know with imbalances in thyroid/low test/etc). Just posing the question.

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
To answer the OP question, no. Norepinephrine is the primary neurotransmitter of the sympathetic nervous system, acetylcholine for the parasympathetic system. Your bodies response to either doesn't change over time because of stress/anxiety. Now, your perception of stressful/anxiety producing events does. Example: when I started what some would say is a high stress job 25 years ago, there was stuff that got my adrenaline pumping that today doesn't phase me. Similar to living close to railroad tracks. First couple weeks that train wakes you up till eventually you have been exposed to it enough that you sleep through it. But back to the adrenaline (epi/norepi), no when your adrenals release you respond.

Put another way, prolonged stres/anxiety does not cause resistance to epinephrine/norepinephrine. You become habituated to the stress and are not secreting it to begin with.

Last edited:

BRICKS

Veteran
Reaction score
respectfully disagree that this immediately works for everyone. Think sometimes there are other issues in play (as we know with imbalances in thyroid/low test/etc). Just posing the question.

Explain immediately. Cutting cals isn't gonna cut fat immediately. Are you in a deficit if you cut 500 cals below mail tenancy today? Yes, so what. Its one day. Nothing's going to be noticeable for a couple weeks at least. And if your'e actually in a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight, regardless of low thyroid or low test. Where else is the energy to meet your BMR/TDEE going to come from. Only 2 places I know of. What you input and what you have stored. And if your'e not inputting enough (deficit) that only leaves the stored.

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
To answer the OP question, no. Norepinephrine is the primary neurotransmitter of the sympathetic nervous system, acetylcholine for the parasympathetic system. Your bodies response to either doesn't change over time because of stress/anxiety. Now, your perception of stressful/anxiety producing events does. Example: when I started what some would say is a high stress job 25 years ago, there was stuff that got my adrenaline pumping that today doesn't phase me. Similar to living close to railroad tracks. First couple weeks that train wakes you up till eventually you have been exposed to it enough that you sleep through it. But back to the adrenaline (epi/norepi), no when your adrenals release you respond.

Put another way, prolonged stres/anxiety does not cause resistance to epinephrine/norepinephrine. You become habituated to the stress and are not secreting it to begin with.

that makes a great deal of sense.
Definitely understand the habituation you’re levels of stress reducing the amount of hormonal reaction, but good to know there isn’t a downregulation that goes with it when the response remains high.

Voyagersixone

Reaction score
Explain immediately. Cutting cals isn't gonna cut fat immediately. Are you in a deficit if you cut 500 cals below mail tenancy today? Yes, so what. Its one day. Nothing's going to be noticeable for a couple weeks at least. And if your'e actually in a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight, regardless of low thyroid or low test. Where else is the energy to meet your BMR/TDEE going to come from. Only 2 places I know of. What you input and what you have stored. And if your'e not inputting enough (deficit) that only leaves the stored.

Good call. I should been more articulate... by immediately I should have instead stated that mitigating factors can alter TDEE/BMR such that the average caloric drop to stimulate fat loss doesn't necessarily apply.

New Threads