Thanks

Long-Term Stress/Anxiety Orders and Adrenaline Resistance

Hi

Throwing out an abstract question here:

Could a potential effect of long-term stress (either lifestyle-related or due to an illness such as anxiety) be the resistance to adrenaline/epinephrine in stimulating lipolysis?

It may be a long shot - but curious to see what’s out there. I’ve seen studies regarding the long term effects of cortisol (on behalf of stress) and its contribution to the obese, but nothing specific to adrenaline.

Elaborating a bit - in the body’s effort to maintain homeostasis, it adapts in a number of ways. Insulin resistance is an example. If the “fight or flight” mechanism is in a constant state of engagement, doesn’t it make sense that fat would eventually become resistant to the constant adrenaline onslaught? And if so, wouldn’t that make drugs like ephedrine (that stimulate adrenaline) less effective?

or I could be nuts. Just an idea - that I can’t seem to find a factual yes or no on yet. Would love the discussion.
    Last edited by Voyagersixone; 03-04-2020 at 11:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,721 Times in 1,777 Posts
    I have bad anxiety at Times and the smallest dose of ephedrine makes me wired. I would say your just weird

Quote Originally Posted by Voyagersixone View Post
    Hi

Throwing out an abstract question here:

Could a potential effect of long-term stress (either lifestyle-related or due to an illness such as anxiety) be the resistance to adrenaline/epinephrine in stimulating lipolysis?

It may be a long shot - but curious to see what’s out there. I’ve seen studies regarding the long term effects of cortisol (on behalf of stress) and its contribution to the obese, but nothing specific to adrenaline.

Elaborating a bit - in the body’s effort to maintain homeostasis, it adapts in a number of ways. Insulin resistance is an example. If the “fight or flight” mechanism is in a constant state of engagement, doesn’t it make sense that fat would eventually become resistant to the constant adrenaline onslaught? And if so, wouldn’t that make drugs like ephedrine (that stimulate adrenaline) less effective?

or I could be nuts. Just an idea - that I can’t seem to find a factual yes or no on yet. Would love the discussion.
    Functional & F*ckable

Thanks
    Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,331 Posts
    If you need adrenaline to burn fat - you’re doing it wrong. For bodybuilding a laid back personality is actually very beneficial... blunts cortisol.
    Best raw lifts on the platform
    Squat-60 Bench-Bar&one clip Deadlift-NA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,794 Times in 1,276 Posts
    your going too deep and technical for basic fatloss.

Cut cals and up physical activity. Done

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gymrat827 For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (03-05-2020),tinymk (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Systemic stress is bad for everything.

'nuff said.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

Voyagersixone (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    man i took ephedrine one time for 3 days... and thought i was going to kill someone.... NEVER EVER AGAIN

Thanks
    To clarify my reason for posting: this is hypothetical, not necessarily related to me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gymrat827 View Post
    your going too deep and technical for basic fatloss.

Cut cals and up physical activity. Done
    respectfully disagree that this immediately works for everyone. Think sometimes there are other issues in play (as we know with imbalances in thyroid/low test/etc). Just posing the question.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,541 Times in 2,105 Posts
    To answer the OP question, no. Norepinephrine is the primary neurotransmitter of the sympathetic nervous system, acetylcholine for the parasympathetic system. Your bodies response to either doesn't change over time because of stress/anxiety. Now, your perception of stressful/anxiety producing events does. Example: when I started what some would say is a high stress job 25 years ago, there was stuff that got my adrenaline pumping that today doesn't phase me. Similar to living close to railroad tracks. First couple weeks that train wakes you up till eventually you have been exposed to it enough that you sleep through it. But back to the adrenaline (epi/norepi), no when your adrenals release you respond.

Put another way, prolonged stres/anxiety does not cause resistance to epinephrine/norepinephrine. You become habituated to the stress and are not secreting it to begin with.
    Last edited by BRICKS; 03-05-2020 at 05:05 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRICKS For This Useful Post:

Voyagersixone (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,541 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Voyagersixone View Post
    respectfully disagree that this immediately works for everyone. Think sometimes there are other issues in play (as we know with imbalances in thyroid/low test/etc). Just posing the question.
    Explain immediately. Cutting cals isn't gonna cut fat immediately. Are you in a deficit if you cut 500 cals below mail tenancy today? Yes, so what. Its one day. Nothing's going to be noticeable for a couple weeks at least. And if your'e actually in a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight, regardless of low thyroid or low test. Where else is the energy to meet your BMR/TDEE going to come from. Only 2 places I know of. What you input and what you have stored. And if your'e not inputting enough (deficit) that only leaves the stored.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRICKS For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (03-05-2020),Voyagersixone (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKS View Post
    To answer the OP question, no. Norepinephrine is the primary neurotransmitter of the sympathetic nervous system, acetylcholine for the parasympathetic system. Your bodies response to either doesn't change over time because of stress/anxiety. Now, your perception of stressful/anxiety producing events does. Example: when I started what some would say is a high stress job 25 years ago, there was stuff that got my adrenaline pumping that today doesn't phase me. Similar to living close to railroad tracks. First couple weeks that train wakes you up till eventually you have been exposed to it enough that you sleep through it. But back to the adrenaline (epi/norepi), no when your adrenals release you respond.

Put another way, prolonged stres/anxiety does not cause resistance to epinephrine/norepinephrine. You become habituated to the stress and are not secreting it to begin with.
    that makes a great deal of sense.
    Definitely understand the habituation you’re levels of stress reducing the amount of hormonal reaction, but good to know there isn’t a downregulation that goes with it when the response remains high.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyagersixone For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICKS View Post
    Explain immediately. Cutting cals isn't gonna cut fat immediately. Are you in a deficit if you cut 500 cals below mail tenancy today? Yes, so what. Its one day. Nothing's going to be noticeable for a couple weeks at least. And if your'e actually in a calorie deficit, yes, you will lose weight, regardless of low thyroid or low test. Where else is the energy to meet your BMR/TDEE going to come from. Only 2 places I know of. What you input and what you have stored. And if your'e not inputting enough (deficit) that only leaves the stored.
    Good call. I should been more articulate... by immediately I should have instead stated that mitigating factors can alter TDEE/BMR such that the average caloric drop to stimulate fat loss doesn't necessarily apply.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Voyagersixone For This Useful Post:

BRICKS (03-05-2020)