Stock Market Chat

Reaction score
im to stupid to understand all this....even tho im edumicated....

whats a good app to start with that gives u fake money to work with? i have buddies who make money every day, i just dont know enough to even start...but need to start making my money work for me

td ameritrade sink or swim app. If you use the paper money option it gives you 200k to invest with using an IRA account and a brokerage account.

Reaction score
Be very careful about who you're taking advice from.

Consider this; there is only so much money in the stock market at any given time. All of those big players and ultra rich people stand to make a ton of money by offering bad advice and cashing in on it. This happens all the time in penny stocks. Some financial guru who already owns a shit ton of penny stock hypes the shit out of it on investing forums. The rubes buy in and the price sky rockets. The financial guru cashes out and watches everyone elses minds explode when that "sure thing" stock turns out to be overvalued junk.

When it comes to "playing the market", in order for one person to profit, another person must lose.

As the saying goes "Beware an old man in a place where men die young".

So true. I’m learning how to use different analysis techniques that will apply to knowing when I should get into and when to get out. Understanding trends, reading candlestick charts and Financial reports etc...

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
Just know that all those chart tools such as stochastic and MACD are reactionary. They can only make a best guess based on what's already happened. The day to day market fluctuations are based almost exclusively on human emotion which is nigh impossible to predict.

I did technical analysis for a few years, not anymore.

Buy the rumor, sell the news.

The Tater

Elite
Reaction score
Just know that all those chart tools such as stochastic and MACD are reactionary. They can only make a best guess based on what's already happened. The day to day market fluctuations are based almost exclusively on human emotion which is nigh impossible to predict.

I did technical analysis for a few years, not anymore.

Buy the rumor, sell the news.

Yes! If you are reading an article about it today, it’s likely too late!

Reaction score
I'm more of a macro trend guy, i don't know enough about technical analysis to day trade. I know some basics about chart patterns, but I tend to only make moves on macro trends and not very often.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
The work 40 years to retire at 65 invest in stable mutual funds never interested me ... I invest in real estate from money earned in my own businesses ... I've made millions and lost along the way mostly due to 2 divorces ... but at least I feel more in control of my own destiny ...

The stock market shit scares me too what kind of properties you invest in? I do not have a retirement fund at all I am 36 and I need to do something asap to start building for the future. I was thinking condos and let them pay themselves off by the time im 65 if i have like 4 or 5 should be ok no?

simplesteve

Elite
Reaction score
The stock market shit scares me too what kind of properties you invest in? I do not have a retirement fund at all I am 36 and I need to do something asap to start building for the future. I was thinking condos and let them pay themselves off by the time im 65 if i have like 4 or 5 should be ok no?

Starting an IRA with Fidelity is pretty simple andshould at least get you on the right track.

transcend2007

Elite
SI Founding Member
Reaction score

Most people work for others and they have 2 options .. spend everything they make and retire broke (work until they die basically) ... the other Dave Ramsey group who is told to live frugally ... put away 15% to 20% of their earnings into an investment plan and live a lower middle class lifestyle for 40 years to retire at 65 - 70 with a few million dollars (only issue is 20-40 years from now a few millions dollars will be worth shit and they will continue to live a lower middle class lifestyle ...

Of course Dave Ramsey and most business owners have the ability to collapse time and earn far more in a much shorter time frame (they do not use either strategy above) ... although we save do so with a different mindset .. one of creating a lifestyle today and growing assets to support that lifestyle passively in the future ... the very idea of saving for a better life someday is a fvcking joke .. and the ones selling it all know it ... most investment brokers / financial planners ... people telling people to do one thing but do something very differently themselves.

The way I invest in real estate .. I pay my own house off first and then purchase single family homes (rentals) that I also pay off so that they are passive income generators that appreciate in value over time that also provide tax shelters and other tax benefits .... I'm doing this for the 3rd and last time and my last 2 owned homes and rentals were liquidated to pay for divorces (that I do take 100% responsibility for) .. I can its an easier and faster strategy now .. because I know exactly what my goal is this time around.

I do invest in stocks and bonds as well .. but not with mindset of building future net worth or wealth .. my businesses build wealth ... the idea is to maintain my assets and create passive income streams ...

Reaction score

Another neat option to save is a Roth IRA. You can set one up through Etrade or any of those other financial service companies.

The cool thing about a Roth, is that any money you put in now already has taxes paid on it. And when you withdraw from it at retirement, that money you take out and it's growth is tax free.

So if you were to put in $5k and in 20 years it has grown to $50k, you can take your money and that income out without paying any additional tax on it.

This is a little gift from uncle sam in a way, because the government doesn't have too many ways to avoid paying taxes on income for us simple folk. And they do have pretty strict limits on how much money you can do this with annually.

I am not too good at saving for things, so I just set up my IRA to automatically transfer.a small amount into it from my checking account every few weeks. That way I barely even notice it's happening.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Most people work for others and they have 2 options .. spend everything they make and retire broke (work until they die basically) ... the other Dave Ramsey group who is told to live frugally ... put away 15% to 20% of their earnings into an investment plan and live a lower middle class lifestyle for 40 years to retire at 65 - 70 with a few million dollars (only issue is 20-40 years from now a few millions dollars will be worth shit and they will continue to live a lower middle class lifestyle ...

Of course Dave Ramsey and most business owners have the ability to collapse time and earn far more in a much shorter time frame (they do not use either strategy above) ... although we save do so with a different mindset .. one of creating a lifestyle today and growing assets to support that lifestyle passively in the future ... the very idea of saving for a better life someday is a fvcking joke .. and the ones selling it all know it ... most investment brokers / financial planners ... people telling people to do one thing but do something very differently themselves.

The way I invest in real estate .. I pay my own house off first and then purchase single family homes (rentals) that I also pay off so that they are passive income generators that appreciate in value over time that also provide tax shelters and other tax benefits .... I'm doing this for the 3rd and last time and my last 2 owned homes and rentals were liquidated to pay for divorces (that I do take 100% responsibility for) .. I can its an easier and faster strategy now .. because I know exactly what my goal is this time around.

I do invest in stocks and bonds as well .. but not with mindset of building future net worth or wealth .. my businesses build wealth ... the idea is to maintain my assets and create passive income streams ...

I just gotta man up and pull the trigger ASAP have the cash put away for a down payment for a house/condo and luckily at the moment I make enough where I can save a down payment for like at least 2 a year I really need to start doing it.

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Another neat option to save is a Roth IRA. You can set one up through Etrade or any of those other financial service companies.

The cool thing about a Roth, is that any money you put in now already has taxes paid on it. And when you withdraw from it at retirement, that money you take out and it's growth is tax free.

So if you were to put in $5k and in 20 years it has grown to $50k, you can take your money and that income out without paying any additional tax on it.

This is a little gift from uncle sam in a way, because the government doesn't have too many ways to avoid paying taxes on income for us simple folk. And they do have pretty strict limits on how much money you can do this with annually.

I am not too good at saving for things, so I just set up my IRA to automatically transfer.a small amount into it from my checking account every few weeks. That way I barely even notice it's happening.

right now I’m laying like $450 a month into a life insurance but it will only be like 200k if I die or once I can cash it out been looking into the Roth IRAs as well should start doing it even if putting like $25-$50 a week just to get something in there

Reaction score
Yeah those whole life policies are interesting. I looked at them but never pulled the trigger.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah those whole life policies are interesting. I looked at them but never pulled the trigger.

They're a joke!!!

Buy a term policy for 1/10th the cost, if you even need life insurance, and just invest the difference yourself.

Insurance is insurance. Investments are investments.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
right now I’m laying like $450 a month into a life insurance but it will only be like 200k if I die or once I can cash it out been looking into the Roth IRAs as well should start doing it even if putting like $25-$50 a week just to get something in there

Get out of the whole life, buy a term policy if needed.

I have a $500,000 policy that costs $40/month, 20 year term. If you get similar, you have over $400/month to invest, which will almost fully fund an IRA for a year.

Hell, that's how much you'll be putting in over 40 years, with ZERO interst/gains. A 0% return, actually a NEGATIVE return when you factor in inflation.

If I were putting $450/month into an investment vehicle, and only expected $200k when I died, I'd be fukkin pissed!!!

Last edited:

Boytoy

Elite
Reaction score
All just seems big gamble imo. Work, put money in bank. Repeat. 500 at craps table once in while

Bobbyloads

Elite
Reaction score
Get out of the whole life, buy a term policy if needed.

I have a $500,000 policy that costs $40/month, 20 year term. If you get similar, you have over $400/month to invest, which will almost fully fund an IRA for a year.

Hell, that's how much you'll be putting in over 40 years, with ZERO interst/gains. A 0% return, actually a NEGATIVE return when you factor in inflation.

If I were putting $450/month into an investment vehicle, and only expected $200k when I died, I'd be fukkin pissed!!!

I have one of those for $90 a month for $500k but I don’t get that money back I’m basically paying $90 a month to bet I will die before I’m 60 so my family can cash out the other one I look at it like putting money aside in case I don’t die cause I’m 1099 don’t have a 401k or pension.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I have one of those for $90 a month for $500k but I don’t get that money back I’m basically paying $90 a month to bet I will die before I’m 60 so my family can cash out the other one I look at it like putting money aside in case I don’t die cause I’m 1099 don’t have a 401k or pension.

You're not "betting", it's INSURANCE. Just like auto or home insurance. You don't tie an investment to those, do you? You know why? Because you do MUCH better investing on your own.

If you invested that same $400 per month instead of putting it into the insurance policy, assuming a 7% rate of return, which is conservative, you'd have close to $1,000,000 after 40 years, while your whole life would only give you the $200,000. In your scenario, you spend $200,000 and get $200,000 back(which is losing money, inflation), in my scenario you invest $200,000 and get back $1,000,000. Oh, and you don't have to die to get the money either! :32 (18):

You don't need a 401k or pension. IRAs or regular brokerage accounts are both options.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They're a joke!!!

Buy a term policy for 1/10th the cost, if you even need life insurance, and just invest the difference yourself.

Insurance is insurance. Investments are investments.

Well, I guess that's why I never did it. I think some are better than others though as you can get a guaranteed rate of return and withdraw from them after a certain time.

I agree that it's weird to mix life insurance with investment. I have a term life personallly. It's very cheap, and would help out wife and kids considerably if I died.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
... I think some are better than others though as you can get a guaranteed rate of return and withdraw from them after a certain time....

Then just buy Treasury bonds.

New Threads