Stock Market Chat

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Hope you have better luck than me on IPOs. Here's my screw up story...

I said screw it, I'll try an IPO, I've never bought in on one before. So I bought in on Rocket Mortgage the 1st day. Went up a bunch so I added to it. Bought a 3rd batch later on.

Forgot to adjust my stop loss share amount as I bought more, so when it dropped, I only got out of 1/3rd of my position. I didn't realize until I was down something like 30%.

Had a few other times I should've gotten out, but didn't.

Now I'm like... Fukk it, guess I'll just hang on to it at this point. Still down about 20%. :32 (18):

Reaction score
I've made mistakes placing orders before. Once I was trying to buy like $4k worth of SLV for my 401k portfolio and somehow I ended up buying $16k worth. Of course it tanked after that so I was stuck in it. I ended up moving 3/4 of it into a bitcoin ETN when BTC was around $4k and that has paid off nicely.

Reactions: CJ

Iron1

Veteran
Reaction score
What're you looking at now? I got into Lowe's at the end of last week, it broke out a price consolidation. Home Depot looks like it could do the same. Those 2 track well together, so if Lowe's continues to climb, I may hope into HD too for a 2 for 1.

HD and Lowes are doing very well. Lots of people getting cheap money from banks who are then building/upgrading homes.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
HD and Lowes are doing very well. Lots of people getting cheap money from banks who are then building/upgrading homes.

Yes sir. I've been in and out of both since March.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Well that Wayfair trade turned against me, stopped out at a -7.5% loss. Larger loss than I usually take, not pleased

Closed out the MELI trade though at a +20.6% profit.

You win some, you lose some.

Beserker

Viking King
Reaction score
Speaking of lose some.... smart money is on the market to likely crash soon if the Biden/Harris “victory” is upheld.

I took out at loan on the max amount I could in my 401k Friday before it just disappears. I dub the coming shitstorm “The Great Repression”

God help us.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Speaking of lose some.... smart money is on the market to likely crash soon if the Biden/Harris “victory” is upheld.

I took out at loan on the max amount I could in my 401k Friday before it just disappears. I dub the coming shitstorm “The Great Repression”

God help us.

The January Senate races in GA could cause a shitstorm too.

Reaction score
Anyone here play with stocks or manage their own retirement?

If so, I hope you're making out ok with the recent Coronovirus related declines.

I first started investing / saving for retirement right around the time of the 2008 financial collapse. That scared the shit out of me, and I barely had anything saved. From that point on I made a big effort to educate myself about financial things and investing. I had a family to support, and I realized that I couldn't trust anyone but myself to do what I thought best with our money. (There were a lot of portfolio managers and financial advisors that gave bad advice and lost people's money during the collapse).

I'm doing ok now, and I pulled nearly all of my money in corporate stocks out last fall right at the time of the yield curve inversion. The money I still have invested is mainly in gold ETF's, which have always made up a sizeable defensive part of my portfolio, and some treasury and municipal bond funds that are up right now also because of this madness.

I'm also a fan of crypto, which will probably put a target on my back if we have any traditional investing guys here.

So here's my theory on coronovirus and the market. Things are going to keep getting worse for a while. Anywhere from 2+ months of declines. Best case, we get a vaccine to market pretty fast before any bankruptcy contagion starts (2 mos hypothesis) and things start recovering quickly.

Worst case, bankruptcies start, a lending weakness emerges (similar to the mortgage crisis in 2008), and contagion spreads kicking off a global financial crisis. The fed and central banks are going to try to head it off by printing money and negative interest rates and it will be a long slow (years) recovery. I'm not ready to predict all-out global financial collapse yet though.

I'm keeping my cash on the sidelines until I feel better about which way things are going. I manage my family's money, and I run all of my big decisions by my wife before I pull the trigger. 2 reasons for that:

1, it keeps me honest and from acting on dumb ideas (and believe me I get a lot of those), because I don't want to run a dumbass idea by her.

2. it keeps her involved so she knows what's going on, and if things go South and I **** up, well there's "hey, I ran this by you and you signed off on it!" LOL

I think Gold has a bright future right now, that's my only positive stock prediction. I also think the long term BTC charts look good.

Wow we can talk about all types of gains on this forum, stonk season is in full effect

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Anybody else take advantage of the gift that BJ's stock gave us today?

Stellar earnings, soundly beat revenue and profits, opens up down over 6%.

Great company, continues to do well, and will this upcoming quarter as well, with the increase in Covid lockdowns. Sure, I'll buy a great company at a discount.

Up almost 7% since the opening.

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
Anyone plays around with Invest 212 on here?

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
I havent used anything else so cant comment but made a few hundred quid from it. Have only ever put in a few hundred here and there. Oil and Tesla have been my biggest earners.

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
Sold oil for 38% profit and Tesla above 30% too. Then rebought more. Has honestly been a great lockdown hobby. :32 (18):

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Sold oil for 38% profit and Tesla above 30% too. Then rebought more. Has honestly been a great lockdown hobby. :32 (18):

Nice!!!

Yeah, it's been a great opportunity. Glad you took advantage. It's not always like this though! :32 (18):

xyokoma

Elite Lady Member
Reaction score
Nice!!!

Yeah, it's been a great opportunity. Glad you took advantage. It's not always like this though! :32 (18):

Yeah, not gonna get another shot like this! And hopefully because **** pandemics lol!!!
Partner has done even better than me but he had a lot more free capital to put in to begin with.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
Yeah, not gonna get another shot like this! And hopefully because **** pandemics lol!!!
Partner has done even better than me but he had a lot more free capital to put in to begin with.

Don't you dare let him win! :32 (18):

bigbadjedi93

Reaction score
I’ve got a small amount, and when I say small like 78 bucks, in Tesla that I’m going to ride out. New to stocks but put 100 bucks on there a few months and basically about even. A guy I work with says invest in the dividend stocks, but that’s about all I know.

CJ

Mod Squad
Reaction score
I’ve got a small amount, and when I say small like 78 bucks, in Tesla that I’m going to ride out. New to stocks but put 100 bucks on there a few months and basically about even. A guy I work with says invest in the dividend stocks, but that’s about all I know.

If you want a "set it and forget it" type of investment, pick something that you believe will change the future, like Robotics/Automation, Renewable Energy, or FinTech,, and purchase a decent ETF in that sector.

It'll get you decently broad exposure in that area. Maybe pair it with a Total Market Index find.

Could do a lot worse.