Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 824 Posts

Post Stock Market Chat

Anyone here play with stocks or manage their own retirement?

If so, I hope you're making out ok with the recent Coronovirus related declines.

I first started investing / saving for retirement right around the time of the 2008 financial collapse. That scared the shit out of me, and I barely had anything saved. From that point on I made a big effort to educate myself about financial things and investing. I had a family to support, and I realized that I couldn't trust anyone but myself to do what I thought best with our money. (There were a lot of portfolio managers and financial advisors that gave bad advice and lost people's money during the collapse).

I'm doing ok now, and I pulled nearly all of my money in corporate stocks out last fall right at the time of the yield curve inversion. The money I still have invested is mainly in gold ETF's, which have always made up a sizeable defensive part of my portfolio, and some treasury and municipal bond funds that are up right now also because of this madness.

I'm also a fan of crypto, which will probably put a target on my back if we have any traditional investing guys here.

So here's my theory on coronovirus and the market. Things are going to keep getting worse for a while. Anywhere from 2+ months of declines. Best case, we get a vaccine to market pretty fast before any bankruptcy contagion starts (2 mos hypothesis) and things start recovering quickly.

Worst case, bankruptcies start, a lending weakness emerges (similar to the mortgage crisis in 2008), and contagion spreads kicking off a global financial crisis. The fed and central banks are going to try to head it off by printing money and negative interest rates and it will be a long slow (years) recovery. I'm not ready to predict all-out global financial collapse yet though.

I'm keeping my cash on the sidelines until I feel better about which way things are going. I manage my family's money, and I run all of my big decisions by my wife before I pull the trigger. 2 reasons for that:

1, it keeps me honest and from acting on dumb ideas (and believe me I get a lot of those), because I don't want to run a dumbass idea by her.

2. it keeps her involved so she knows what's going on, and if things go South and I **** up, well there's "hey, I ran this by you and you signed off on it!" LOL

I think Gold has a bright future right now, that's my only positive stock prediction. I also think the long term BTC charts look good.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 513 Posts
    I’m of the opposite opinion. I started buying in last Monday when the DOW dropped by 1,000 points. I purchased more each day all the way down until a Friday.

Today I placed my last 15k into VOO and everything I have is in. I’m considering taking out a couple of hundred grand on the house next week to purchase more.....

We can debate the corona virus and it’s impact on the market or world if you will all day. I’m of the belief this is a major opportunity to invest cash. We can revisit the post another time to confirm.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mugzy For This Useful Post:

Bobbyloads (03-06-2020),BRICKS (03-07-2020),CJ275 (03-06-2020),CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020),ComeBacKid85 (03-08-2020),MrRippedZilla (03-06-2020),simplesteve (03-06-2020),The Tater (03-06-2020),tinymk (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    lol. George Foreman once pointed out people may play Baseball, Football, Basketball, etc, but nobody "plays" Boxing.

I'm thinking nobody does, or at least should, play stocks. Not picking atcha, just had to get my infrequent Boxing references in here somewhere.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rawdeal For This Useful Post:

MrInsensitive (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by mugzy View Post
    I’m of the opposite opinion. I started buying in last Monday when the DOW dropped by 1,000 points. I purchased more each day all the way down until a Friday.

Today I placed my last 15k into VOO and everything I have is in. I’m considering taking out a couple of hundred grand on the house next week to purchase more.....

We can debate the corona virus and it’s impact on the market or world if you will all day. I’m of the belief this is a major opportunity to invest cash. We can revisit the post another time to confirm.
    This is exactly why I posted this. I like to hear other opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,725 Times in 2,870 Posts
    I invest the same amount each month, so I'm just happy everything is on sale right now. More for my dollar.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ275 For This Useful Post:

ComeBacKid85 (03-08-2020),simplesteve (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,829 Times in 1,604 Posts
    I donít try to time the market because I donít have time to pour over the financial statements of companies or be a part time economist. Nor do I listen to financial news to hear someone elseís opinion; I would much rather form my own.

My approach is more to understand risk/ reward profiles of different securities and annually review my portfolio to make sure it aligns with my risk profile.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dk8594 For This Useful Post:

CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020),NbleSavage (03-07-2020),The Tater (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 1,270 Posts
    good time to offset losses for gains as well.

I dont foresee it NOT being a roller coaster for the next few months. Unless a vac is put out and this whole thing stops by 4th of july

But the supply chains will not be what they were in the Asian countries for years.....again...unless a vac comes out to put an end to things

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gymrat827 For This Useful Post:

CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,834 Times in 5,338 Posts
    One good thing about being poor, I don't need to worry about this stuff.
    Hard work beats talent when talent doesnít work hard.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to snake For This Useful Post:

Beserker (03-06-2020),Boytoy (03-08-2020),ComeBacKid85 (03-08-2020),DF (03-06-2020),j2048b (03-06-2020),MrInsensitive (12-02-2020),NbleSavage (03-07-2020),Tatlifter (03-19-2020)

Thanks
    I really only invest in the s&p, I don't plan on pulling any of the money out any time soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to simplesteve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I invest with a long term strategy in mind. A couple of mutual funds and some stocks. I have been buying NUE this week. Strong jobs report, economy is rolling right along, buy on the dip.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Tater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Dollar cost averaging will have the most consistent long term gains.
    Up or down, just keep socking money into solid equities and index funds.

I do find it funny when people pull out of the stock market when it dips. Blue chip companies aren't losing value, they're just temporarily on sale. It's like a Black Friday fire sale for equities.

Selling in a dip and buying when it recovers is a good way to blow out your account.
    My posts are for entertainment purposes only

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Iron1 For This Useful Post:

CJ275 (03-06-2020),CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020),ComeBacKid85 (03-08-2020),The Tater (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    Originally Posted by simplesteve View Post
    I really only invest in the s&p, I don't plan on pulling any of the money out any time soon.
    I think this is a good strategy too. If I wasn't really on top of what was going on, and if I didn't manage my own retirement through etrade, I'd just keep feeding the index funds regardless of the days' events. Because I feel like ultimately it is safe and will keep going up.

My plan right now is to wait until things get drawn down as low as I think they can go and a bottom starts to form, then start getting back in peacemeal.

There is this advice I've heard "never try to catch a falling knife" that I've fell victim to a few times already, so I'm really gunshy about jumping back in too soon. I've been stuck in some stuff for long periods of time because I did that, and I've lost money because of doing that and selling to get into something better.

I also Know I missed out on some gains by getting out at the end of last year, but I feel good about it now.

Thanks
    I actually just started messing around with TD Ameritrade’s sink or swim. I just did paper money so it gave me 100k to invest and learn with. I bought VOO SOXX and ACES. So far I’m only down 6k with how shitty everything’s been.. Still have a long way to go in learning and educating myself on what to invest in.

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Thatgoodfellow View Post
    I actually just started messing around with TD Ameritrade’s sink or swim. I just did paper money so it gave me 100k to invest and learn with. I bought VOO SOXX and ACES. So far I’m only down 6k with how shitty everything’s been.. Still have a long way to go in learning and educating myself on what to invest in.
    Man just read, read, read.. I also like Bloomberg radio, they interview some really amazing big players in the financial industry and well educated folks. I like Stansberry Digest, but try a bunch of financial newsletters and watch over time to see who gives the best advice.

I tend to err more on the paranoid / prepper mindset, doom and gloom. I have to find a balance between being cautious and being paranoid.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Originally Posted by CohibaRobusto View Post
    Man just read, read, read.. I also like Bloomberg radio, they interview some really amazing big players in the financial industry and well educated folks.
    Be very careful about who you're taking advice from.

Consider this; there is only so much money in the stock market at any given time. All of those big players and ultra rich people stand to make a ton of money by offering bad advice and cashing in on it. This happens all the time in penny stocks. Some financial guru who already owns a shit ton of penny stock hypes the shit out of it on investing forums. The rubes buy in and the price sky rockets. The financial guru cashes out and watches everyone elses minds explode when that "sure thing" stock turns out to be overvalued junk.

When it comes to "playing the market", in order for one person to profit, another person must lose.

As the saying goes "Beware an old man in a place where men die young".
    My posts are for entertainment purposes only

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Iron1 For This Useful Post:

CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020),Grizzly911 (03-06-2020),j2048b (03-06-2020),NbleSavage (03-08-2020),simplesteve (03-06-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,423 Posts
    I have a good money guy. At least I hope hes good. I hate financial stuff so I let it to someone who likes it

Thanks
    Iron1, I totally agree. I don't mess with penny stocks at all and I would never recommend that to anyone.

I try to get as much information as I can and from different sources. Most of my decisions are based on my experience and usually what I'm hearing from people that have shown themselves to be trustworthy over time.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,869 Times in 950 Posts
    The work 40 years to retire at 65 invest in stable mutual funds never interested me ... I invest in real estate from money earned in my own businesses ... I've made millions and lost along the way mostly due to 2 divorces ... but at least I feel more in control of my own destiny ...
    Last edited by transcend2007; 03-06-2020 at 01:52 PM.
    HRT for life!

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to transcend2007 For This Useful Post:

Bobbyloads (03-06-2020),CohibaRobusto (03-06-2020),joeyirish777 (08-03-2020)

Elite
    Thanks
    Im long term 401K person, I dont worry about normal ups/downs like this. 30 years of 401K's (A million dollars in the darn thing), I will be watching when the time comes to live on it though. (Safely moving it, IRA, etc)..
    ------------------------
    PERMA-BANNED

Thanks
    im to stupid to understand all this....even tho im edumicated....

whats a good app to start with that gives u fake money to work with? i have buddies who make money every day, i just dont know enough to even start...but need to start making my money work for me
    "I think I'm gonna try to do a barrel role, and if that goes good, I'm just gonna nose down and call it a night"

"Nahh....I'm a white Guy"

Muther Fawken RICH -RIP BIG BALLS

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast